LZ A6/A6 mini discussion and review thread
Nov 13, 2019 at 10:00 PM Post #31 of 687
@thejoker13 Thanks!

The A6 mini are indeed a mini A6 :wink:

Similar overall signature but outperformed by the big brother in every way. The A6 has deeper bass, slightly better bass quality and more extended highs bit the biggest difference is indeed in the midrange with a fuller presentation that add more weight to, especially, males vocals making them sound more natural.

That being said the Mini is definitely replacing LZs own LA Z05A as my favorite sub $50 IEM's (I was extremely close to pick up a second pair for $27 on the 11/11sale, crazy price for their performance). As a matter of fact I can't, from the top of my mind right now, don't think of any sub $100 offering that I'd rate higher than the Mini from my 7-8 hours with them today.

These are of course very initial impressions but I'm super impressed with these so far. Definitely a great every day beater pair, what's exactly what I was hoping for.

Sorry for the poor pictures, too tired to take new ones, lol.

Thank you so much for your pictures and thoughts on the mini! I definitely need to pick up a pair for travel and an out and about iem.

Nov 13, 2019 at 10:11 PM Post #32 of 687
Hi Bui, thanks for your comparisons of all the IEMs. I am totally fine with chasing an endgame for 2019, knowing that yes in a year the hunt begins again. I noticed you said earlier that the LZ A6 compares to the andromeda which I might say is endgame for lots of people who aren’t in the know about Chifi. Could you elaborate more and give me confidence that I am not missing anything by choosing the LZ over the andromeda? Thanks!

I think we can safely say that LZ A6 has better bass, equal mid and much more extended high than Andromeda, plus the versatility and 1/3-1/4 the price of Andromeda. Andromeda sounds soft compared to the crispiness of LZ A6. This pair is not for the faint of heart, and I have to say I don't use it for relaxation. This is a technical marvel at the price.

Nov 13, 2019 at 10:28 PM Post #34 of 687
LZ A6 is end game if your want to spend less than $1000 in 2019.
Next year we'll have LZ A7, a BQEYZ with electrostatic drivers (or so I was told), Audiosense's new flagship...so the hunt recurs.
Have you heard any rumors about what may be coming with the LZ A7's? I haven't heard a thing about them yet.

Nov 14, 2019 at 12:00 AM Post #35 of 687
@thejoker13 Thanks!

The A6 mini are indeed a mini A6 :wink:

Similar overall signature but outperformed by the big brother in every way. The A6 has deeper bass, slightly better bass quality and more extended highs bit the biggest difference is indeed in the midrange with a fuller presentation that add more weight to, especially, males vocals making them sound more natural.

That being said the Mini is definitely replacing LZs own LA Z05A as my favorite sub $50 IEM's (I was extremely close to pick up a second pair for $27 on the 11/11sale, crazy price for their performance). As a matter of fact I can't, from the top of my mind right now, don't think of any sub $100 offering that I'd rate higher than the Mini from my 7-8 hours with them today.

These are of course very initial impressions but I'm super impressed with these so far. Definitely a great every day beater pair, what's exactly what I was hoping for.

Sorry for the poor pictures, too tired to take new ones, lol.

Exactly! They did sound a little thin when I first listened to them on my first impression, but they matured and opened up really well after burning them in! After changing my cables for better ones and changing the default silicone ear tips for better narrow-bore silicone tips that fit perfectly, they truly out-shine all of my sub $100 offerings as well!

Glad you liked your A6mini's! ...Cheers! :wine_glass::relaxed::thumbsup:

-Clear

Nov 14, 2019 at 12:50 AM Post #36 of 687
Yes, I did a direct comparison of them. I found the S8f to have more bass quantity and treble energy, but the A6 has the better bass quality, in that's cleaner and quicker. It's funny to me, because the S8f uses the BA driver for bass and the A6 uses a well tuned dynamic. I find the treble on the A6 is more detailed with more clarity. Both are a fun and energetic tuning, but the A6 to me has better staging and imaging. I consider the A6 to be an upgrade at nearly half the cost.

That's some high praise right there, and many thanks for the comparison. These are going on my Christmas shopping list...

Nov 14, 2019 at 1:08 AM Post #37 of 687
Have you heard any rumors about what may be coming with the LZ A7's? I haven't heard a thing about them yet.
Not yet, I think other manufacturers will have a long time chasing the technical abilities of LZ A6, and it will take LZ a lot of time to develop.
But my guess for LZ A7 could be 1 DD - 4 BA - 2 electrostatic, or 1 DD + 1 magnetostatic + 5BA., with 18 pairs of filters, tuning switches and all :ksc75smile:

Nov 14, 2019 at 2:54 AM Post #39 of 687
Peter, what % of the overall A6 sound quality would you say the A6 mini is able to achieve? Any meaningful differences in isolation fit or comfort or build quality?

What's a % of subjective sound and not the least what's 100%? Sorry, I can't talk about sound I percentages as it makes absolutely no sense. That being said I did go straight to the A6 after a longer listening session with the mini last night and the A6 is definitely more refined in all aspects. I really can't go into any more details about sound before having time to play around more with different filters, tips and sources. Patience my young padawan :wink:

As for isolation, fit and bq the feel on par with each other. The housings are extremely similar, if not even identical (except for the loudness button of course).

Nov 14, 2019 at 3:04 AM Post #40 of 687
Not yet, I think other manufacturers will have a long time chasing the technical abilities of LZ A6, and it will take LZ a lot of time to develop.
But my guess for LZ A7 could be 1 DD - 4 BA - 2 electrostatic, or 1 DD + 1 magnetostatic + 5BA., with 18 pairs of filters, tuning switches and all :ksc75smile:

One of the great things with LZ is that you never know what they comes up with. After the success with the quite reasonable priced A2 and A4 hybrids they suddenly launched the Big Dipper which is a 7BA for $900 lol. It's probably the most technically competent IEM's that I own but lack some bass impact and overall richness to be perfect for me.

Back when I was doing a lot more reviews I talked quite a bit with LZ and although the language barrier was challenging there's no doubt that the guy is extremely passionate about sound in general and engaging sound in particular.

Nov 14, 2019 at 6:37 AM Post #41 of 687
Peter, what % of the overall A6 sound quality would you say the A6 mini is able to achieve? Any meaningful differences in isolation fit or comfort or build quality?
I just got an invitation to join this thread and was wondering the exact same thing. A6mini ebay price is roughly 1/4 of the A6 price. That's pretty significant. Also, the housings on both the A6 and A6mini look thick. I'm wondering if this would lead to comfort or seal issues after extended use?

Nov 14, 2019 at 7:07 AM Post #42 of 687
I just got an invitation to join this thread and was wondering the exact same thing. A6mini ebay price is roughly 1/4 of the A6 price. That's pretty significant. Also, the housings on both the A6 and A6mini look thick. I'm wondering if this would lead to comfort or seal issues after extended use?

Hmm, wonder what madman might have steered you this way :wink:

I find them quite comfortable, isolation is only average and they do stick out a bit from my smallish ears. I wouldn't sleep on the side with them but have others that sticks out more if that makes sense.

As for value, it's of course highly subjective. As I've already mentioned the A6 for me is the best IEM's I've ever heard and as you know I've spent thousands aof dollars and several years to find it, priceless? I I don't know but it's seriously good and people compare it to the Andromeda knot similar sounding but similar quality) and all other kinds of experience stuff. Me personally haven't got much experience with IEM's over $500 but I do got quite a few from there and downward.

As for the Mini, I really can't think of anything better under $100. Iirc correctly I paid about $120 for the MT100 and that's the cheapest competitor I can think of right now. Once again, vastly different sound signatures but still equally enjoyable. The A6 is significantly better though.

Nov 14, 2019 at 7:27 AM Post #43 of 687
Yes, the possibilities are endless I guess. I'm curious to see just how he can top the A6, or at least try too. I think an electrostatic on top of the DD and BA's would be interesting to see and hear. I'd love to see what he could do with that for sure.

Nov 14, 2019 at 7:38 AM Post #44 of 687

I find them quite comfortable, isolation is only average and they do stick out a bit from my smallish ears. I wouldn't sleep on the side with them but have others that sticks out more if that makes sense.

As for value, it's of course highly subjective. As I've already mentioned the A6 for me is the best IEM's I've ever heard and as you know I've spent thousands aof dollars and several years to find it, priceless? I I don't know but it's seriously good and people compare it to the Andromeda knot similar sounding but similar quality) and all other kinds of experience stuff. Me personally haven't got much experience with IEM's over $500 but I do got quite a few from there and downward.

As for the Mini, I really can't think of anything better under $100. Iirc correctly I paid about $120 for the MT100 and that's the cheapest competitor I can think of right now. Once again, vastly different sound signatures but still equally enjoyable. The A6 is significantly better though.

Ooh Ooh Ooh, I know I know:grin: Then again when I follow him all I keep hearing is the Robot from Lost In Space “Danger Danger Danger Will Robinson” (Feel free to insert your name here):rolling_eyes:

Nov 14, 2019 at 7:41 AM Post #45 of 687

Thanks buddy. Yes, I've noticed that the madness has seemed to tick upwards a notch or two lately:wink:. Now all we need is @Podster :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Edit: speak of the :imp:. Look who just dropped in!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back