Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Dec 17, 2023 at 5:12 PM Post #5,071 of 5,150
The three big issues:

1) Plugging/Unplugging the SE port while playing music could trip the protection circuit (Mine tripped once due to a loose XLR connection)
2) Using a 3rd party linear power supply could be bad in the long run
3) Using the wrong tubes in the coupled circuit (I'm guessing this one is what he did to yours)
Guessing 1 and he fried the amp internals somehow.
I had a 2nd set of tubes that were compatible added as part of deal.

Dec 17, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #5,072 of 5,150
Guessing 1 and he fried the amp internals somehow.
I had a 2nd set of tubes that were compatible added as part of deal.
Doesn't mean he didn't have his own tubes he wanted to try. "It has the same amount of pins, it should be ok, right?" Did you check the amp's tubes to make sure they are undamaged? Might explain what you are hearing.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #5,073 of 5,150
Just rolled my first set of tubes in the LP. Took out the stock 6922’s, and installed Telefunken E88CC black diamonds. Definitely tightened up the bass and added some airiness to the overall sound. Seems worth it for $150.

Dec 19, 2023 at 6:23 PM Post #5,074 of 5,150
Just rolled my first set of tubes in the LP. Took out the stock 6922’s, and installed Telefunken E88CC black diamonds. Definitely tightened up the bass and added some airiness to the overall sound. Seems worth it for $150.
Good choice !!

Jan 14, 2024 at 2:10 PM Post #5,075 of 5,150
Dear all,

Long time lurker but finally decided to register for an account. The plan was to make my debut on this thread, but had to wait a little longer until the new account constraints were lifted.

I will be brief but will still try to make this special. My LP will complete 4 years of service soon and it is still hitting hard. The stock valves were just recently replaced by the Genalex Gold Lions, after more than 3 years, even though I did not need to.

1705258876376.png
1705258905902.png

I too suffer from the drawbacks reported many times on this thread. I chose to attenuate after the amplification though, so I grabbed the solution offered by Garage1217. It is nice to have granularity in the volume knob. It now ranges around the noon mark with my 300 ohm Sennheisers. Everything upstream is maxed out. Adapter quality is top notch.

1705258989976.png

It took me a while but ended up collecting the other siblings from the line. My LGX is currently in the drawer and I use it every now and then. They stack beautifully though. Here are some older pictures:

1705259036602.png
1705259129513.png

Count me in to keep this thread alive. :muscle:
Cheers. :beerchug:

Jan 17, 2024 at 11:22 PM Post #5,076 of 5,150
Doesn't mean he didn't have his own tubes he wanted to try. "It has the same amount of pins, it should be ok, right?" Did you check the amp's tubes to make sure they are undamaged? Might explain what you are hearing.
In my case (fried this amp) it was only my neurological problem which cause me to buy PC88 tubes instead of PCC88 tubes so yeah, it was my fault but I cannot recommend tube rolling for anyone who has anykind of ADHD, dyslexia or something like that. Or you should have someone with you double checking things, hehe! I'm glad I got connected with this one friendly guy who can service my amp and my rolling days are over. Siemens PCC88 D-getters are the only tubes I put in this amp after the forth coming service and be happy about the great sound it is providing!

Jan 17, 2024 at 11:28 PM Post #5,077 of 5,150
In my case (fried this amp) it was only my neurological problem which cause me to buy PC88 tubes instead of PCC88 tubes so yeah, it was my fault but I cannot recommend tube rolling for anyone who has anykind of ADHD, dyslexia or something like that. Or you should have someone with you double checking things, hehe! I'm glad I got connected with this one friendly guy who can service my amp and my rolling days are over. Siemens PCC88 D-getters are the only tubes I put in this amp after the forth coming service and be happy about the great sound it is providing!
Glad this came to a happy ending despite what happened

Jan 17, 2024 at 11:32 PM Post #5,078 of 5,150
Jan 18, 2024 at 12:43 PM Post #5,079 of 5,150
Does anyone know what size is the Monoprice Cavalli Liquid Platinum amp's power adapter tip? Is it 5.5 X 2.1mm, 5.5 X 2.5mm, other?
Thanks
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100....order_list.order_list_main.40.21ef1802e5l6rL

this is a direct duplicate of the stock power brick but with up to 5amp instead 2amp. works great with both my liquid gold and liquid platinum

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32873624026.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.27cf38daksDHiG&mp=1

this is toroidal/linear (not switching) power supply that also works great if you fancy linear psu with nice shell

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2024 at 3:19 PM Post #5,080 of 5,150
I cannot recommend tube rolling for anyone who has anykind of ADHD, dyslexia or something like that.
That is one of the best bit of advice I have read on here.
I have made a few expensive mistake due to dyslexia
Once I was booking a safari to tanzania and instead booked 2 weeks in tangier.

Jan 29, 2024 at 5:17 PM Post #5,081 of 5,150
Hello everyone! After lurking for a long time, I've decided to create an account.

I have a question about the LP. I need to clean the pot because it has some static. How do I take this amp apart? Am I able to pull the volume knob off and spray it from there?

Any and all help is appreciated, thank you.

Jan 29, 2024 at 9:59 PM Post #5,082 of 5,150
Welcome.

I need to clean the pot because it has some static. How do I take this amp apart?

This is likely the same drama for all potentiometers. I remember happening to my LP as well a couple of years ago. Ever since that episode, every now and then I turn the knob all the way up and then down for a few times. You can do this before powering it up.

I have not been dealing with scratchy pots on any of my amps for a long time now. I do this to all of them, by the way. Save the WD40 for other projects. :L3000:

Let us know if it helps.

Jan 29, 2024 at 10:02 PM Post #5,083 of 5,150
Just get some CRC cleaner, that will fix it.

Jan 29, 2024 at 10:17 PM Post #5,084 of 5,150
Welcome.

This is likely the same drama for all potentiometers. I remember happening to my LP as well a couple of years ago. Ever since that episode, every now and then I turn the knob all the way up and then down for a few times. You can do this before powering it up.

I have not been dealing with scratchy pots on any of my amps for a long time now. I do this to all of them, by the way. Save the WD40 for other projects. :L3000:

Let us know if it helps.
Thank you, I'll start doing this before powering up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back