Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Dec 8, 2023 at 7:32 PM Post #5,056 of 5,150
Sorry I have to copy my message from LP tube rolling topic, panicking:

"Do you guys know what could've happened to my LP? My local retailer gave me some "PCC88s" on top of few tube deals and when I got home I put those in to try them first. Well, they weren't PCC88s but PC88s. Didn't take too long after turning the amp on when some weird noise came out of the amp and just a tad bit of smoke, just to see some against dark background. After that I of course turned the thing off etc. but when trying to put it back on with 6922s, the red light didn't turn white after that puff of light smoke. I opened up the amp, there was literally no smoke trails or any melt down components, at least with my eye, I couldn't find anything special. What happened? It even warms up those 6922s (don't worry, I'm not re-starting it over and over again, just once so I could diagnose if the light works, if the tubes warm up etc. and everything else seems to be working but the light turning white and the audio to come through. Thanks already!"
Sorry to hear about your LP. I checked PC88 and they are not compatible, not listed as replacement for the 6922’s. Looks like your amp may need some surgery. Best wishes.

Dec 9, 2023 at 7:33 AM Post #5,057 of 5,150
Yeah, that's given for sure. I was in belief that I bought PCC88's to the moment this horrid thing happened. I just would need someone who knows what could've be damaged or circuit's schematic to even get this one guy who operates amps to look inside it. Before that, I'm pretty much screwed.

EDIT: And thanks for all your replies, I don't think that sending that amp to Monoprice would do anything but make me spend more money since the shipping etc. and basically I've broke the amp by not knowing all the tube wirings from my head and be able to tell that 'nope, this is PC88, not PCC88 tube, even though that's what I bought just moments ago, let's not put that in'.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2023 at 11:07 PM Post #5,058 of 5,150
such a fun musical combo:darthsmile:
20231209_220048.jpg

Dec 10, 2023 at 6:35 AM Post #5,059 of 5,150
Is it possible to get Monolith Liquid Platinum circuit schematic? That would help me out, this one amp doctor could check it out and give his best guess!

Dec 10, 2023 at 9:19 PM Post #5,061 of 5,150
IIRC Cavalli Audio has a recommended repair service for their gear.
That may be for the pre-Monoprice Cavallis (Liquid Crimson, Liquid Glass etc)
92BE6674-4A40-4720-B98A-52B340018AEA.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2023 at 1:51 AM Post #5,063 of 5,150
Too bad that shipping and service from EU would become quickly pretty costly and if they deny warranty that would be a lot of money thrown away. If I could just get that circuit schematic, this one amp designer could check it out and tell what could've gone wrong and if possible, service it here locally which would be the quickest and cheapest way for me. If he says that he doesn't know if he could do anything, as for last option I could try this high risk pricey option to send it to the USA for possible service.

Dec 13, 2023 at 1:25 AM Post #5,064 of 5,150
Sorry to double post here but I have to pop this thread higher so maybe Alex Cavalli himself might pump into this and help me out here. I've seen him being active on some forums.

So the thing is: a) Monoprice won't live up to their warranty on this case b) schematics are guarded by immaterial rights c) hands tied and thank you for being 'valuable' customer. Valuable yes, honest yes, customer in the future nope. This just drives people to lie their eyes off about what happened to their warrant products, people with problems reading (ADHD, Dysflexia, bad eye-sight etc.) shouldn't be using but stock tubes or they might stumble on this humane mistake I made about one letter less.

Also made this comparison to the chi-fi amp manufacturers: no circuit has failed me once, the customer service has been great (probably due low costs) and always got me a new product or so, if failed somehow. They're also less risk products if you think about the price and performance, if something like this happens (and they'll still probably send new product because good reviews are their lifeline.

Well, Alex Cavalli, some servicing firm around at least in EU area or someone who would have the circuit schematics: could you contact me? I would not start my own line of Liquid Platinum manufacturing, just get my dear birthday present from my wife serviced so I could enjoy it once more.

Thank you everyone for you support, it means a lot for me!

Dec 14, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #5,066 of 5,150
after my Focal stelia the klipsch are my favorite , even though they are broken. where you attach your headphone cable is a loose wire in the barrel, impossible to fix, but every once in a while it works and i really enjoy them
I'd have this combo if they didn't cancel my order when they did :frowning2: love my hp3. I know they don't sound neutral or correct but they are the headphones I feel the most connected to my music.

Dec 17, 2023 at 4:44 AM Post #5,068 of 5,150
Hi there guys, anyone have a repair guy lead to fix the Cavalli Liquid Platinum in the UK ?

Sound is at a very low volume and maybe tends to one side more than other...was broken or broke on arrival to a buyer and I had to accept it back under ebay ...darn ! Was working entire time I had it...
Maybe he never followed that start-up warning...if I remember, there was something about the amp you had to be wary of..anyroad had it in storage for ages after that and would like to get it operational again.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2023 at 8:41 AM Post #5,069 of 5,150
Hi there guys, anyone have a repair guy lead to fix the Cavalli Liquid Platinum in the UK ?

Sound is at a very low volume and maybe tends to one side more than other...was broken or broke on arrival to a buyer and I had to accept it back under ebay ...darn ! Was working entire time I had it...
Maybe he never followed that start-up warning...if I remember, there was something about the amp you had to be wary of..anyroad had it in storage for ages after that and would like to get it operational again.
The three big issues:

1) Plugging/Unplugging the SE port while playing music could trip the protection circuit (Mine tripped once due to a loose XLR connection)
2) Using a 3rd party linear power supply could be bad in the long run
3) Using the wrong tubes in the coupled circuit (I'm guessing this one is what he did to yours)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back