My DIY electrostatic headphones
Sep 10, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #4,006 of 4,061
did you cnc your own PCB or had it done by a company? Mind me asking whats your hole diameter and spacing?
I cnc'd my own with a cheap 3018 pro CNC router. Took a few tries to get right. Hole diameter is 2mm, spacing is 3mm center to center so 1mm of material inbetween, also done in a 60 degree pattern for maximum open area.

Sep 11, 2023 at 10:26 PM Post #4,009 of 4,061
Have you ever listened to the original SR-Omega? Its sound stage is huge! The diaphragm is 90 mm while the stator is around 80 mm. Of course, the stators are wire meshed.
Interesting, if I was to make the stator out of mesh, would I need extra reinforcement? I see that lots of mesh stators have other pieces of metal around it. Are those for structural reinforcement or for acoustics? 1694484737582.png

Sep 13, 2023 at 6:44 AM Post #4,013 of 4,061
The reinforcement on one side is enough. That’s how Stax has done. I think anything that is strong enough is OK. 3D printed parts is a good idea.
Assuming I could do the same for the spacer then. What would be the ideal distance for the spacers? I'm considering using something like a 6xx or 58x as the chassis.

Sep 13, 2023 at 7:54 AM Post #4,014 of 4,061
Assuming I could do the same for the spacer then. What would be the ideal distance for the spacers? I'm considering using something like a 6xx or 58x as the chassis.
Not sure what size you are planning for your diaphragm width/active area width but the 6xx chassis is only 84mm wide on the outside. Space inside the cup might be at a premium, you can see how my drivers barely fit inside my cup and my cup width is 105mm with an active area width of 75mm. I certainly could have been more space efficient and angling my drivers hurt me in this regard but I figured I would warn you. Certainly can be done tho as the HE60 uses that chassis IIRC.

Sep 13, 2023 at 8:33 AM Post #4,015 of 4,061
Not sure what size you are planning for your diaphragm width/active area width but the 6xx chassis is only 84mm wide on the outside. Space inside the cup might be at a premium, you can see how my drivers barely fit inside my cup and my cup width is 105mm with an active area width of 75mm. I certainly could have been more space efficient and angling my drivers hurt me in this regard but I figured I would warn you. Certainly can be done tho as the HE60 uses that chassis IIRC.
I suppose so, though my main concern is with comfort, as I don't know of many other comfortable headphones that I can get for cheap outside of 3d printing one, which I need to rely off my friend's machine to do.

Oct 8, 2023 at 10:10 AM Post #4,017 of 4,061
We are a small custom hardware development company.
This topic seemed quite interesting to us, and I must admit that we have a business interest.
We believe we can offer the market quality headphones at a low price.
We have designed for now the class D amplifier and another class A transistor.
Both are STAX compatible.
However, the main purpose is headphones with a battery inside.
I don't think this has been done before by anyone.
Here are some pictures from the prototyping.
do you sale this amp ?

Oct 9, 2023 at 12:36 AM Post #4,018 of 4,061
Hi,

I've just joined this site today. I just want to say hi to everybody and show you my version of electrostatic headphones and amplifier. I've successfully made the phones and the amp for about a year now. I just love them.

DSC03682_640x480.jpg

ESHeadphone_Amp.jpg

I hope my work might inspire somebody here. :)

Wachara C.
Hello, I just joined your post. Because it's been around for quite a while and a lot of the pages I didn't follow. So as not to be too long, I would like to ask you what determines the sound quality of electrostatic headphones? I have thin films under 5 microns. How much resistance do I need to apply to this thin film (high-good or low-good)? How much resistance should the 2 pieces of perforated copper on both sides have (high-good or low-good)? Thank you if you can give me some clue.

Oct 9, 2023 at 1:03 AM Post #4,019 of 4,061
Hi and welcome! About your questions: 1. the resistivity on the diaphragm should be very high (higher is better). The coating I use has the resistance of more than 1 G ohm. But, anything of more than a few hundreds of M ohm should be good enough. 2. About the stators, using anything that is highly conductive is good. Copper clad PCB is what I use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back