New from Esoteric! The N-05XD Network Audio Player
Aug 9, 2021 at 1:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Todd

Headphone Vinyl Meister
Member of the Trade: TTVJ Audio
Hi All,

Esoteric will begin shipping their new N-05XD Network Audio Player in September! This is a premier audiophile Network Player that includes a balanced headphone amp, operates as a Preamplifier and has the ultimate DAC inside - the Esoteric Master Sound Discrete DAC found in their top of the line SACD players and the N-01XD. We are very excited about the N-05XD and have one of our own on order.

Order yours now and get this great Digital Network player for your system! List Price is $11,000 Call us @ 406-285-3910

Available in both Black and Silver, this piece is a system changer!

see a short video of the N-05XD from Esoteric here!

esotericn05xd2.jpg
esotericn05xdblack1.jpg
esotericn05xdrear.jpg
esotericn05xdmap.jpg

esotericn05xdheadphone.jpg

esotericn05XDsignalblockdiagram.jpg

N-05XD

The N-05XD is a new concept Network/DAC Preamplifier unit that re-defines a core unit of the audio system in the digital-network era, with newly developed DACs that succeed the philosophy of the Grandioso D1X's Master Sound Discrete DAC that reached the summit, and network function established on the N-01XD, employing plenty of digital and analog inputs, high-grade attenuator circuits, and a balanced headphone output is first seen on ESOTERIC DAC products.

Call us at 406-285-3910 with questions or to order or email todd@ttvjaudio.com

Todd

Aug 9, 2021 at 6:58 PM Post #2 of 36
E-El-ell-Eleven hundy..whoa cowboy!!!

Aug 9, 2021 at 10:35 PM Post #4 of 36
headphone outputs.... XLR 1500mw, SE 750mw @ 32ohms..... not great, barely workable

Aug 10, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #6 of 36
headphone outputs.... XLR 1500mw, SE 750mw @ 32ohms..... not great, barely workable

While I certainly won't argue that a top-shelf headphone amplifier should have gobs of power to perform flawlessly on big dynamic peaks etc, I think it's pretty disingenuous to suggest this would be "barely workable".

Granted we would need to know a lot more about the Esoteric headphone amp (mW into different loads, output impedance, etc) to better predict its behavior. But I think it's pretty safe to say it should be able to comfortably drive most headphones short of HE-6, Susvara, etc.

For reference, this Esoteric has as much or more power into a 32 ohm load as a McIntosh MHA-150, Questyle CMA800R, Schiit Asgard 2, Arcam rHead, Auralic Taurus mkII (unbalanced mode), Pro-Ject Head Box DS2 B, Feliks Audio Echo, etc. It also roughly equals the headphone outputs of DAC/amp units like the RME ADI-2 DAC and Benchmark DAC 3 HGC. While not everyone loves the sound of all those devices, it wouldn't be accurate to call any of them severely underpowered.

You want to talk about barely workable? The Esoteric D-07x DAC I used to own had an integrated headphone out sporting 20mW per channel. Roughly equivalent to an old iPhone 5. Now that is something worth complaining about. Glad to see they have something more potent this time around.

Aug 11, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #7 of 36
11k$ is quite the sum, makes it direct competitor to the dCS Bartok.
I wonder how it can hold up.

Aug 12, 2021 at 7:38 AM Post #8 of 36
Deleted, I think Todd your point about where I made the post was fair and well taken. Cheers.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #9 of 36
HI All,

First, the DAC section in this unit can NO WAY be compared to a $500 DAC. There is absolutely no comparison. The build quality is superior to most anything built in all of audio. Sorry but on this one you are very wrong Sonic Defender. The actual statement piece from Esoteric is the N-01XD which is $20,000. Esoteric has been building top of the line, state of the art products since 1987. They do not use off the shelf chip sets for their XD DAC in their digital products but instead have designed and implemented a Discreet DAC that is superior to any chip available. They are only available in Esoteric products. Their experience as well as technical expertise makes their product superior to the products you have mentioned.

I have spent my life pursuing the best sound I could afford. And yes, there are less expensive products that will deliver music in a very enjoyable way. And I started out with introductory level audiop[hile products. But for the best of the best, there is another lever or two above the entry level high end products. They are not for everyone the same way we all don't drive a Rolls Royce or Lamborghini. I have found in my 50+ years of listening to music, playing in bands and auditioning tons of gear, that there are some companies that deliver sound quality levels above the rest. Esoteric is one of those companies.

All your stereo has to do is make you happy. It does not have to make anyone else happy. If you can sit down and listen and find fulfillment in what you are hearing, then you have achieved what every Audiophile seeks. It doesn't matter how much you spend - all that matters is your personal satisfaction. But some seek the best of the best and that is the goal of Esoteric as a company - to provide that experience to the listener.

I also am a bit mystified as to why in a sponsor thread that folks find a need to take shots at the product being introduced??? No one here has yet heard this product as it is shipping in Sept. I have spent a great deal of time with the new Esoteric XD DAC in their SACD players and find it to be unrivaled for its reproduction of sound.

Todd

Oct 23, 2021 at 10:07 PM Post #10 of 36
HI All,

First, the DAC section in this unit can NO WAY be compared to a $500 DAC. There is absolutely no comparison. The build quality is superior to most anything built in all of audio. Sorry but on this one you are very wrong Sonic Defender. The actual statement piece from Esoteric is the N-01XD which is $20,000. Esoteric has been building top of the line, state of the art products since 1987. They do not use off the shelf chip sets for their XD DAC in their digital products but instead have designed and implemented a Discreet DAC that is superior to any chip available. They are only available in Esoteric products. Their experience as well as technical expertise makes their product superior to the products you have mentioned.
A very similar, dare I say probably exact, discrete dac has been used in the new Teac UD-701. Many Esoteric implementations have been used in Teac’s. The USB controllers for instance are exactly the same board. Granted, the dac and other parts are often simplified designs in the Teac versions.

Oct 23, 2021 at 10:59 PM Post #11 of 36
Yes the Teac UD-701 seems more like an Esoteric product than any of the recent Teac releases. It would be easy for them to drop the same discrete DAC right in, but perhaps there is a somewhat simplified version they used for the (relatively) less expensive Teac model.

Back in the day the two names were somewhat interchangeable (and in fact I recall owning a Teac branded P700 transport, while a friend had the same P700 which was labeled Esoteric). But for many years the Teac stuff has played in a much lower bracket.

The Esoteric N-05xd is Roon Ready, as confirmed on Roon's website. Meanwhile the Teac UD-701 says Roon will be added in a future firmware update. I personally would not buy the Teac until that was ready.

Dec 2, 2021 at 7:13 PM Post #12 of 36
Any reviews of the Esoteric n01XD around?

Jan 3, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #13 of 36
I have been in possession of my Esoteric N-05XD for 2 weeks now and am so impressed with it that I have hardly played any vinyl! It is easy to use, looks great and sounds even better. I am considering offering the N-05XD for a short loaner program to anyone who is considering buying one. This is top notch and something I will want back as soon as possible so I can listen to it. Let me know at todd@ttvjaudio.com if you are considering one from us for your rig. A network connection is needed. It also has single ended (1/4") and balanced (4 pin XLR) for headphone usage. I use an iPad to control the unit and Tidal for my music source. All with excellent results. You will need your own control unit (laptop, tablet or smartphone and download the Esoteric Sound Stream. It was so easy even I was able to connect without much effort at all.

My current high end demo system consists of a SME Model 12 with 309 tonearm, Lyra Etna and Grado Epoch 3 cartridges. Esoteric E-02 Phono Stage, Esoteric K-03XD SACD Player and DAC (sounds amazing!!!), Apex Pinnacle 2 Ultra for my preamp, Esoteric S-02 Power Amplifier, the Esoteric N-05XD Network Player and DAC, all plugged into a Silver Circle Tchaik 6 Power Conditioner. Wiring is Cardas Clear Beyond with Cardas Clear Beyond Power Cables. Speaker Cables are Clarus Crimson CCSP . Speakers are Dynaudio Evidence Temptation.

So you can see the N-05XD is playing with comparable companions.

I have not spent any time with an Esoteric N-01XD (their top of the line) yet but hope to soon. I will let you know QuantumKat what I think of it once I have one to listen to...

Attachments

• ttvjsystem2022January.jpg
    ttvjsystem2022January.jpg
    668.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 13, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #14 of 36
11k$ is quite the sum, makes it direct competitor to the dCS Bartok.
I wonder how it can hold up.
Is this really a fair comparison? The Esoteric N-05XD is an "all-in-one" complete with DAC, streamer and headphone jack. I believe the Bartok is only a DAC, where all of the money goes into the sonics. With the Bartok, you still have to come up with at least $5K--probably twice that--on a network/source piece.

I have heard the Bartok and the Rossini, but nothing from Esoteric, so can not say.

The following comparisons would be great:

1. Esoteric N-05XD vs dCs Bartok
2. Esoteric N-05XD vs Esoteric N-01XD (to see if the additional price is worth it)
3. Esoteric N-01XD vs MSB Premiere (sonics comparison)
4. Esoteric N-01XD vs [ dCs Bartok (or Premier) + Aurender/Innuos streamer ]

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #15 of 36
Is this really a fair comparison? The Esoteric N-05XD is an "all-in-one" complete with DAC, streamer and headphone jack. I believe the Bartok is only a DAC, where all of the money goes into the sonics. With the Bartok, you still have to come up with at least $5K--probably twice that--on a network/source piece.

I have heard the Bartok and the Rossini, but nothing from Esoteric, so can not say.

The following comparisons would be great:

1. Esoteric N-05XD vs dCs Bartok
2. Esoteric N-05XD vs Esoteric N-01XD (to see if the additional price is worth it)
3. Esoteric N-01XD vs MSB Premiere (sonics comparison)
4. Esoteric N-01XD vs [ dCs Bartok (or Premier) + Aurender/Innuos streamer ]
The Bartok is Streamer + DAC +headphone amp.
The amp is optional. The streamer is always included.

According to many owners the Mosaic App to control the unit is even better than Roon.

The higheg dCS offerings like the Rossini don't have the built in amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back