New from Esoteric! The N-05XD Network Audio Player
Jan 18, 2022 at 8:40 PM Post #16 of 36
The Bartok is Streamer + DAC +headphone amp.
The amp is optional. The streamer is always included.

According to many owners the Mosaic App to control the unit is even better than Roon.

The higheg dCS offerings like the Rossini don't have the built in amplifier.
Okay, I stand corrected. Must have my mind stuck in "MSB World" where everything is a la carte, and just assumed dCS was the same.

So, any word, then, as to the sound quality comparison between the Esoteric N-05XD and dCS Bartok?

Aug 8, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #18 of 36
The Esoteric N-05XD has been and will remain one of my go to pieces for streaming music. I have heard nothing better and the DAC in the N-05XD is amazing. Clear accurate sound with no coloration. If you want the best sound from streaming, the N-05XD is your best option!

Todd

Aug 8, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #19 of 36
To my ears, especially when AB with other dacs as Metiner and Lumin X1, N05XD definitely has better stage especially its height and depth are definitely on another level, plus the sweet and close to ear vocals which is mesmerizing.

What is especially stunning is they managed to maintain high level of resolution and imaging with this gigantic 3D stage, which is more detailed but less natural and analogue sounding than dacs with similar soundstage as DCS Rossini/ Bartok and May KTE. DCS and May are also smoother and more balanced, while N05XD has more digital sounding with sparkling yet non fatiguing high extension by contrast.

Yet it is definitely colored Esoteric house sound with Japanese sonic aesthetics, which is so controlled and nuanced yet dynamics could be adversely affected, especially for genres as Rock and hip-hop.

I feel N01XD is more balanced and natural with fuller notes and higher resolution, compared with N05XD.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #20 of 36

OMG, the limited gold version of N05XD and N01XD lineup.

Even they don't look too goldish to me but still so alluring.

Like Warwick Aperio, the game of switching colors has been the trend lol

Sep 6, 2022 at 3:40 AM Post #21 of 36
I pulled the trigger for N05XD because it has the best three dimensionality, stage width and depth (Macro-details) while maintaining equally top level of imaging and Micro-details which DCS and May KTE lack to my taste.

N-01XD is much more analogue sounding with fuller body and better details than N05XD. Yet my system is all black and unfortunately N01XD doesn't have black color.

I am hesitant and thinking of investing an Aurrender as streamer to enhance the body and analogueness as well as a Mutec master clock ( other brands of master clock are all silver) to sharpen the details and resolution, which will add the price even above N01XD lol.

Maybe I should just buy playback Designs but then it doesn't have black color neither, and the MSP5 is half black and half white (ugly and tale looking) white while the dream dac is dark blue.

Sonically the competitors of Esoteric NO1XD should be Playback Designs and/or Soulnote. I feel playback designs and MSB Discrete are both more analogue with better body, bass and weight note than Esoteric Discrete dac but they are not as big in three dimensionality as Esoteric, even though in terms of stage they are already top notch and better than most flagships. Esoteric has probably the best 3d sound that makes Lumin X1 sound as 2D noticably lacking depth and height in my ab comparison.

I'm really interested in soulnote 3 series which is at a price even higher than DCS flagship set up.i feel Soulnote sounds as between N01XD and N05XD in terms of analogues, but then it has better dynamics, resolution and imaging. It sounds less colored than Esoteric and other brands mentioned here.

But man don't you think the Esoteric N05XD looks sooooo sexy?

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2022 at 11:21 PM Post #23 of 36
The dac is the latest discrete dac with the same chip in its flagship. It is full analogue sounding yet with the technicalities of chip dac for the notch notch macro and micro details. It sounds bigger with better height and depth than even MSB. It is less constrained and less weighty than playback designs. Definition and resolution definitely beat DCS and May, making it crowned as the product of the year in 2021.

The streamer, designed by Lumin, is powered by an independent transformer ( the Lumin counterpart with separate linear power supply costa 7500USB)

The preamp is the top 3 I have seen in built in pre in any dacs. It is balanced in volume control throughout 8 channels with very complex design and the best finish and built I have ever seen.

I experimented with various DDCs, jitter Purifier, isolation and grounding materials only to find out that the built-in counterparts are good enough! It is crisper and more netural than the twice priced big brother N-01XD. I prefer it to N01XD with both my warm sounding tube amps and my anologue sounding solid state amps.

The headphone amp is quiet enough to drive sensitive IEMs and powerful enough to drive HD 800s and Hifiman Susvara with magic. ( it is shocking how good susvara sounds with the built in amp!!!!!!) I haven't tested any bad pairing in my collection. N05XD transform the stage of Stax& BHSE to T2 level. When HD800s, the can with the biggest stage mated with the dac with the biggest three dimensionality, the room shockingly doesn't sound as exaggerated at all but surprisingly natural, fully evenly filled and actually most organic. With my Tia Fourte (with EA lionheart cable), the most speaker like IEM, it sounds really as a speaker with a vocal that is so close to my face. I used to drive my IEMs via Chord Dave, but man this is soooo many steps above in terms of details and even bass. If Mytek Empire is the best analysis solid state headamp, N05XD is the best analogue sounding solid state.

Oct 24, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #24 of 36
To my ears, especially when AB with other dacs as Metiner and Lumin X1, N05XD definitely has better stage especially its height and depth are definitely on another level, plus the sweet and close to ear vocals which is mesmerizing.

What is especially stunning is they managed to maintain high level of resolution and imaging with this gigantic 3D stage, which is more detailed but less natural and analogue sounding than dacs with similar soundstage as DCS Rossini/ Bartok and May KTE. DCS and May are also smoother and more balanced, while N05XD has more digital sounding with sparkling yet non fatiguing high extension by contrast.

Yet it is definitely colored Esoteric house sound with Japanese sonic aesthetics, which is so controlled and nuanced yet dynamics could be adversely affected, especially for genres as Rock and hip-hop.

I feel N01XD is more balanced and natural with fuller notes and higher resolution, compared with N05XD.
Thanks for the May comparison. Don't be afraid to go deeper if you feel like :)

Headphone gods are whispering to my ear that second hand N05XD is roughly the same price as my May KTE + SparkoS Aries. Though I have to say that I like this combo very, very much. I'm in a happy situation in which I currently own the best setup I've ever heard.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2022 at 3:49 PM Post #25 of 36
Hi All,

For those serious about purchasing an Esoteric N-05XD, you can hear it in your own system with our loaner program. In order to avoid our 15% restocking fee, we have a 2 week rental of our N-05XD with the cost applied to a new unit. N-05XD Loaner

This give you an opportunity to judge for yourself! USA only on the loaner.

Todd

Mar 8, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #27 of 36
Getting the N-05XD tomorrow, paired (for now) with a Viva Egoista 845 and Susvara HP.

Will post some thoughts after I've had it for a few days...

Mar 14, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #29 of 36
Ok here are some early thoughts on the DAC:

I replaced a Holo May KE with this, and while I loved the May and thought I would not get another amp after it, I recently got a Viva Egoista amp and I wanted to see if I could try a DAC that was truly worthy of this beastly amp. Esoteric is not a famous brand in the West but in Asia it’s very well known. They make some very expensive gear, actually the Esoteric, while not cheap, is kind of at the lowest end of their chain. But that doesn’t mean they cut corners on it. It actually uses a lot of similar or identical components (DAC, preamp, streamer etc) from its more expansive brothers.

So, the important question, how does it sound? In a word, flawless. While i thought and still think the May is really special, this is leagues better IMO. By comparison, the May was more relaxed but that could also come across as slight softness. And as impressive as the May was with soundstage and sound placement, this takes it to a whole other level, while never sounding too technical or fatiguing. It’s extremely easy to listen to, but at the same time technically it’s very proficient and is not lacking in anything.

Its streamer (developed with Lumin) is top notch, the preamp is among the best I’ve heard, and the HP out, while obviously not as powerful as my Viva for something like the Susvaras, it’s surprisingly capable especially for easier to drive HPs. Finally the company is really keeping the unit up to date with firmware updates, they recently added Roon-ready, and now even a Roon RAAT mode which sounds better.

So, while again I realize this is not a cheap unit, I feel that the quality of all its parts and functions make the price somewhat reasonable. If you have to pay for a top notch DAC, a streamer, a preamp and a good HP amp, you’re likely to pay as much if not more than this, without the convenience of one beautifully made unit that has it all.

Mar 14, 2023 at 7:54 PM Post #30 of 36
Ok here are some early thoughts on the DAC:

I replaced a Holo May KE with this, and while I loved the May and thought I would not get another amp after it, I recently got a Viva Egoista amp and I wanted to see if I could try a DAC that was truly worthy of this beastly amp. Esoteric is not a famous brand in the West but in Asia it’s very well known. They make some very expensive gear, actually the Esoteric, while not cheap, is kind of at the lowest end of their chain. But that doesn’t mean they cut corners on it. It actually uses a lot of similar or identical components (DAC, preamp, streamer etc) from its more expansive brothers.

So, the important question, how does it sound? In a word, flawless. While i thought and still think the May is really special, this is leagues better IMO. By comparison, the May was more relaxed but that could also come across as slight softness. And as impressive as the May was with soundstage and sound placement, this takes it to a whole other level, while never sounding too technical or fatiguing. It’s extremely easy to listen to, but at the same time technically it’s very proficient and is not lacking in anything.

Its streamer (developed with Lumin) is top notch, the preamp is among the best I’ve heard, and the HP out, while obviously not as powerful as my Viva for something like the Susvaras, it’s surprisingly capable especially for easier to drive HPs. Finally the company is really keeping the unit up to date with firmware updates, they recently added Roon-ready, and now even a Roon RAAT mode which sounds better.

So, while again I realize this is not a cheap unit, I feel that the quality of all its parts and functions make the price somewhat reasonable. If you have to pay for a top notch DAC, a streamer, a preamp and a good HP amp, you’re likely to pay as much if not more than this, without the convenience of one beautifully made unit that has it all.clock
A good clock and clock cable could increase all aspects by quite a lot in a way you will never buy a dac without clock input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back