NEW Schiit Lyr 2: Impressions
Aug 22, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #166 of 2,168

I did not know there was that list.
Good rolling then!
atsmile.gif

The following FAQ is the documentation I was referring to:

What about the tubes? Can you roll ‘em?
Lyr 2 uses two 6BZ7 dual triodes, and yes–you can substitute any 6DJ8/6922/ECC88 type tube, including NOS, cryo-treated, voodoo-blessed, hand-assembled by elves, etc. Due to the DC heaters, we do not recommend using 6N1P tube types, or any tube that needs more than 415mA heater current.

Aug 22, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #167 of 2,168
the flood of Lyr 2 arrivals continue!
mine just unboxed, time to install some Ediswan tubes tonight and warm up the HE-560s!

hm, need to sell a Vali now it appears....

Aug 22, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #168 of 2,168

mine just unboxed, time to install some Ediswan tubes tonight and warm up the HE-560s!

Do tell?!?! Congratulations on your new Schiit!

Aug 22, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #169 of 2,168

Sweet, I would very much like to hear how the Ediswan tubes pair up to your lyr2. I am using gold lions in my lyr2 to run my alpha dogs. Please have a good night jamming out.:)

Aug 22, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #170 of 2,168
The amp is burning in quite nicely, it was a bit thin and brittle at first. It's really warmed up tonally, dynamics have improved greatly, and it's noticeably smoother. It's sounding like a noticeably better version of my EF2A so far, relatively similar sound signature but with noticeably more refinement, clarity, control, depth, and more solidity and tactility to the sound, etc.

The bass on the K712 is starting to hit hard and is honestly the best pairing with the Lyr 2 so far. So far I find the DT 150's bass too powerful on the amp with some songs but despite the bass and warmth it retains clarity, soundstage, and never sounds muffled. My slightly modded Fostex T50RP is doing nicely, they need slightly deeper pads than the Brainwavz HM5 pads though to help with the depth of sound and comfort though, I have angled HM5/NVX pads that really help with the depth and soundstage but some reason the pads really don't agree with me as the sound seems to have some projection issues(disappearing effect of the sound, never experienced anything like it in a headphone), it's weird as the pads are fine on other headphones.

Aug 23, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #172 of 2,168
to all the Lyr2 owners, what kind of interconnect RCA cables are you using? I find that the schiit products actually have those red-white plugs too close to each other and most RCA cable male connectors have a "fat" head and when they are both plugged in, they are touching each other.

I am looking for some thin head cables. Thanks

Aug 23, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #173 of 2,168
From my Concero HD into Lyr2, was using Wireworld Solstice 7 RCA.
But iMac USB ports leak some noise and static that can be heard with no music playing and Lyr 2 knob cranked to max volume.

So now it's Concero HD with PYST cables into JK Audio Pureformer, from there Solstice 7 RCA into Lyr 2.
Dead black silent background now!
And glorious music.

Aug 23, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #174 of 2,168
Schiit! I didn't realize they offer their own set of cables (which should work with their dac and amp perfectly. DUH). I wished they would've include these options at the lyr2 item page so I didn't have to order cables from amazon separately.

Thanks jexby, just ordered a set of PYST. The Solstice 7 were too rich for my blood (as a set of cables anyways) lol

Aug 24, 2014 at 12:45 AM Post #175 of 2,168
Do tell?!?! Congratulations on your new Schiit!

This is not a comparison of Ediswan tubes vs. stock or anything else, but after 2 nights with
iMac-->Concero HD-->JK Audio Purifier-->Lyr 2-->HE-560
wow oh wow, feel like I'm home again after replacing the Vali.

smooth musical balance with no loss of detail, an encompassing bass that makes you feel like "you are there", sound stage and separation with realistic decay.
bass definitely has a presence now, with placement and impact when it exists, doesn't feel artificial.

as I stated elsewhere, JK Audio Purifier in my chain provides a dead black background even with vol max and no music playing.

the Lyr 2 + Edi tubes provide a wide soundstage and realism that just makes me shake my head.
so glad returning to this setup after selling off HE-500 + Lyr 1.

another couple pairs of good tubes for safe backup and just leave this musical bliss rig in place.

hm, Nirvana "Love Buzz" FLAC up.
let Lyr 2 rock it hard.
volume knob +4.

Aug 24, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #176 of 2,168

This is not a comparison of Ediswan tubes vs. stock or anything else, but after 2 nights with
iMac-->Concero HD-->JK Audio Purifier-->Lyr 2-->HE-560
wow oh wow, feel like I'm home again after replacing the Vali.

smooth musical balance with no loss of detail, an encompassing bass that makes you feel like "you are there", sound stage and separation with realistic decay.
bass definitely has a presence now, with placement and impact when it exists, doesn't feel artificial.

as I stated elsewhere, JK Audio Purifier in my chain provides a dead black background even with vol max and no music playing.

the Lyr 2 + Edi tubes provide a wide soundstage and realism that just makes me shake my head.
so glad returning to this setup after selling off HE-500 + Lyr 1.

another couple pairs of good tubes for safe backup and just leave this musical bliss rig in place.

hm, Nirvana "Love Buzz" FLAC up.
let Lyr 2 rock it hard.
volume knob +4.

And I am enjoying the Telefunken E88CC. Great sound and fun!  Listening to Greg Brown, great bass and dynamic sound with the 560's. 

Aug 26, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #177 of 2,168
A quick note to help Canadian Schiit lovers.  Headphone Bar in Vancouver, BC, sells the Lyr2 for $499.95 & the Valhalla2 for $389.95.  Of course there are taxes (especially in Canada) & the s&h is $9.95 per.  

Also, I was speaking/email with one of their salesman who told me that once their Schiit stock is exhausted they will no longer be selling that product.  Something to do with revenue neutral or something; I don't really remember the reason so I don't want to state any false claims either.  

Hope this helps Canadian Head-fiers (Headphone bar ships inside Canada only).  Just Google "Headphone Bar" & their link will appear. 

beerchug.gif

Aug 26, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #178 of 2,168
  A quick note to help Canadian Schiit lovers.  Headphone Bar in Vancouver, BC, sells the Lyr2 for $499.95 & the Valhalla2 for $389.95.  Of course there are taxes (especially in Canada) & the s&h is $9.95 per.  

Also, I was speaking/email with one of their salesman who told me that once their Schiit stock is exhausted they will no longer be selling that product.  Something to do with revenue neutral or something; I don't really remember the reason so I don't want to state any false claims either.  

Hope this helps Canadian Head-fiers (Headphone bar ships inside Canada only).  Just Google "Headphone Bar" & their link will appear. 

beerchug.gif

I bought my Lyr 2 today from Headphone Bar 
wink.gif

Aug 26, 2014 at 1:15 AM Post #180 of 2,168
Hi,

I have a random question. I am interested in getting a beefier amp (right now I play out through my Asus Essence ST sound card). If I am not interested in tube rolling, would I be better off with something solid state like the Asgard 2?

Your profile doesn't list them, what HP's do you want to pair the amp with?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back