NEW Schiit Lyr 2: Impressions
Sep 3, 2014 at 3:41 AM Post #196 of 2,168
  Someone needs to compare it to the Garage1217 Project Ember now that it has that gain switch, and settle once and for all which amp is better-sounding on the same tube.
tongue.gif

hahah... this hasn't happened yettt??? :frowning2:

Sep 3, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #197 of 2,168
hey just curious if anyone here knew whether the maximum power rating of the lyr 2 listed on their spec page is total power or per channel. So would the max power at 32 ohms be 6.0W total power or 6.0W per channel for a 12.0W total. 12.0W total power seems really high!

Sep 3, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #198 of 2,168
  hey just curious if anyone here knew whether the maximum power rating of the lyr 2 listed on their spec page is total power or per channel. So would the max power at 32 ohms be 6.0W total power or 6.0W per channel for a 12.0W total. 12.0W total power seems really high!

It's 6W RMS/channel, so yeah "12 W" amp.

Sep 4, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #199 of 2,168
A little update to my static noise situation. So I ordered both the PYST RCA cable and usb cable from Schiit and switched out the other brand cables and the result is a dead silent no noise what-so-ever in between song amp.

Very happy with my schiit!

Sep 13, 2014 at 7:44 AM Post #200 of 2,168
hiii, just had a quick question for you guys. do you guys notice buzzing/crackling/humming type noises when you have the amp on without any music playing. This occurs with my amp on high gain with the volume pot at 12 o'clock & low gain with the volume pot at 3 o'clock.

Just wondering if this is normal or does it mean there is something defective? thank you!!! 

Sep 13, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #201 of 2,168
hiii, just had a quick question for you guys. do you guys notice buzzing/crackling/humming type noises when you have the amp on without any music playing. This occurs with my amp on high gain with the volume pot at 12 o'clock & low gain with the volume pot at 3 o'clock.

Just wondering if this is normal or does it mean there is something defective? thank you!!! 

It is not normal. Do you have the noise in both channels? Is it there if you disconnect the input cables? Does it remain if you go up in volume past the onset? I would try removing and reseating the tubes for a start.

Sep 13, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #202 of 2,168

My reply above your post answered this question as I had the same problem, bought the cables from schiit and replaced my other brand cables and no more noise.

Sep 13, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #203 of 2,168
It is not normal. Do you have the noise in both channels? Is it there if you disconnect the input cables? Does it remain if you go up in volume past the onset? I would try removing and reseating the tubes for a start.

Noise was in both channels. The background noise does disappear when I disconnect the input cables, but reappears if I tap on the amp. The noise appears after reaching a certain level on the volume pot and continues as you turn the knob higher though it does vary in intensity.

I tried removing and reseating the tubes, but this did not help. My tubes will not seat tightly/securely in either socket & there is always wiggle room. I've also noticed that the pins of both tubes are not straight, but appear to be bend a bit outwards.

background noise does decrease when I unplug the power supply from my laptop & it disappears when I plug into my tablet instead, but I still get noise from tapping on the amp. I tried adding a ground loop isolator, but background noise still present. I've also noticed noise in the amp from cable movement with three different rca cables and my headphone cables.

what should I do? =(

Sep 13, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #204 of 2,168
  My reply above your post answered this question as I had the same problem, bought the cables from schiit and replaced my other brand cables and no more noise.

do you still get noise from tapping on your amp though? when my amp is completely unplugged and I tap on it, there is some severe staticy sounds. also, I have three different RCA cables and the problem is present with all three.

Sep 13, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #205 of 2,168
Noise was in both channels. The background noise does disappear when I disconnect the input cables, but reappears if I tap on the amp. The noise appears after reaching a certain level on the volume pot and continues as you turn the knob higher though it does vary in intensity.

I tried removing and reseating the tubes, but this did not help. My tubes will not seat tightly/securely in either socket & there is always wiggle room. I've also noticed that the pins of both tubes are not straight, but appear to be bend a bit outwards.

background noise does decrease when I unplug the power supply from my laptop & it disappears when I plug into my tablet instead, but I still get noise from tapping on the amp. I tried adding a ground loop isolator, but background noise still present. I've also noticed noise in the amp from cable movement with three different rca cables and my headphone cables.

what should I do? =(

1. Quit posting the same thing in 2 threads.
2. Email schiit.

My tubes are so tight and straight in my Lyr 2 it's difficult to actually remove them.

Sep 13, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #206 of 2,168
tap on amp no noise, even if I accidentally bump into it with my keyboard, still silent. I don't know which cable made the difference since I replaced both RCA (between dac and amp) and USB cable (between computer and dac) at  the same time.  This is with all my current headphones, beyer COP, JVC sz2000, and high gain Hifiman HE500.

Sep 13, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #207 of 2,168
  do you still get noise from tapping on your amp though? when my amp is completely unplugged and I tap on it, there is some severe staticy sounds. also, I have three different RCA cables and the problem is present with all three.

There shouldn't be a static noise. I do get a noise when I tap or rub my Bugle Boy tubes or tap the amp itself(to a lesser degree) which seems to play the sound of me tapping or rubbing the tube or amp, especially the front tube which seems to be the left channel. Otherwise it's dead silent. This doesn't happen with the stock tubes. If you are getting static, either something is wrong with the amp or tubes, or the amp or tubes are picking up some sort of interference.

Sep 13, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #208 of 2,168
thank you all for your informative replies. I have isolated the interference problems & fixed it with your help. This never occurred to me with any other equipment, so very weird to me how the lyr 2 had issues there.

My tubes are still super extremely wiggly and prone to unseating randomly. Doesn't appear to be a common occurrence from your feedback, so I really appreciate everyone's responses. I may email schiit about this if I can't seat the tubes properly after a few more days. I don't really feel good about having to pay shipping back for tubes with bent pins, and I can't tell if it's the tubes or the socket. Very unfortunate. :frowning2:

Sep 13, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #209 of 2,168
You need to contact Nick at tech@schiit.com, I had a bad tube when I had my Valhalla, I received a bad tube, they sent a new set, free.

Sep 13, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #210 of 2,168

My tubes are still super extremely wiggly and prone to unseating randomly. Doesn't appear to be a common occurrence from your feedback, so I really appreciate everyone's responses. I may email schiit about this if I can't seat the tubes properly after a few more days. I don't really feel good about having to pay shipping back for tubes with bent pins, and I can't tell if it's the tubes or the socket. Very unfortunate. :frowning2:

yikes!  wiggly and unseating randomly??
recipe for disaster.  obviously a defect.  might not be the pins, but instead the sockets.
neither my Lyr 1 nor Lyr 2 had this symptom, and best to contact Nick at Schiit right away.  my Lyr 2 tubes are so tight it takes focused effort and strength to get them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back