New Schiit Lyr: Hybrid 6W Headphone Amp. Yes. Six. Watts. RMS.
Mar 21, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #602 of 834

Quote:
New to this hobby and have a question:

while Lyr is working in the pure class A mode, does it sound identical to Asgard, or does it have some different signature?
Thanks.

Depends on the tube.

Mar 21, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #603 of 834
Quote:
Depends on the tube.

So with the proper tube, you could achieve "wire with gain" with the Lyr?  Do the stock tubes accomplish this?

Would that then make it "Lyr with gain" ? 
wink.gif

Mar 21, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #604 of 834
Lot of variables to account for. Assuming same cans, low impedance (best with the Asgard) - you still need to factor in tubes. I have both - plus a newly built 'A/B' switch. I'll set it up soon to A/B the two amps with identical source and headphones (Denon D2000). Gotta figure out a cost effective way to level the volumes. It'll not be scientific, but should give a good feel for the differences (oops, showed my bias). I do suspect the Lyr to be more dynamic (power reserves), faster and possibly have a warmer tone (tubes). 

Mar 21, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #607 of 834
No, that's what it will drive...not sure what the Output Impedence is.

Mar 21, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #608 of 834
I was under the impression that it is 32 ohms but I'm not sure why.

It could have something to do with the OP though:

"How about a hybrid headphone amp that'll do 6 watts RMS into 32 ohms?"

Mar 21, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #609 of 834

Quote:
What IS the headphone output impedance of the Lyr?

It has to be very low to be able to deliver its rated power into a 32 ohm load.  Probably is well under 1 ohm.

Mar 21, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #610 of 834
I asked Jason the question this morning, according to him the output impedance is about 0.2 ohms.

Mar 21, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #611 of 834

Quote:
New to this hobby and have a question:

while Lyr is working in the pure class A mode, does it sound identical to Asgard, or does it have some different signature?
Thanks.

In a word, no. The Lyr is a more musical amp than the Asgard.

Mar 21, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #612 of 834

Quote:
I asked Jason the question this morning, according to him the output impedance is about 0.2 ohms.

Makes sense!  Thanks.

Mar 22, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #614 of 834

Quote:
Thats a bummer, its too bad you missed the big Toronto meet earlier this month. But you could talk to some of the folks that go to your local meets and see if you can have a mini meet. It looks like you guys attract a lot of headfiers and have pretty big meets. Seattle had one on March 5th the day before yours and you guys had a bigger list.

I'd second that.  The Head-Fi meets are a great way to listen to meet some of the gang here and hear some amazing setups.  I've been to three (two at L.A. International Airport and the recent one in Burlingame in the SF Bay Area) and all have been very hepful in selecting equipment.  I picked up the HE-6 headphones and the Lyr after the Burlingame meet - and the Smyth Realiser 8 after the last LA meet. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back