New Schiit Lyr: Hybrid 6W Headphone Amp. Yes. Six. Watts. RMS.
Mar 24, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #631 of 834
Maybe not, because Stax, being electrostatic use Electro-Magnets instead of natural magnets. This means they need a power supply for the magnets.The amp needs to supply this power. I have Electrostaic speakers, and they must be plugged into a wall socket as well as the amp. Great sound!  But check with Stax. Your alternatives using Natural Magnets are Dynamic and Othodynamic headphones ( Orthodyanics are the Natural Magnetic alternative to Electrostatics). Have a Lyr and just got my LCD-2 Othodynamics, incredible with the Lyr.

Mar 24, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #632 of 834

Quote:
Maybe not, because Stax, being electrostatic use Electro-Magnets instead of natural magnets. This means they need a power supply for the magnets.The amp needs to supply this power. I have Electrostaic speakers, and they must be plugged into a wall socket as well as the amp. Great sound!  But check with Stax. Your alternatives using Natural Magnets are Dynamic and Othodynamic headphones ( Orthodyanics are the Natural Magnetic alternative to Electrostatics). Have a Lyr and just got my LCD-2 Othodynamics, incredible with the Lyr.

ಠ_ಠ oh my god...

Mar 25, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #633 of 834

Quote:
Thank you for responding to my question. I heard good things about the Dacmagic, but according to the review below, you can see that this guy easily would choose the MSII+ over it, and being cheaper. I'm still looking through this forum/asking people here about what would be a good choice, not rushing anything. I even question whether or not I would really need an Lyr or would a Valhalla be better in my situation. Here is that review i was talking about, the author mentions on the second page his opinion against the dacmagic.

http://www.headfonia.com/hrt-music-streamer-ii-2496-usb-dac/2/

The thing about the review you are linking too, is that he only used the DacMagic's USB input. It sounds much better through it's coaxial input. Or any of the other options on the DacMagic, the USB is by far the worst part of the DacMagic. I like the HRT + and if I only had the option of USB I would consider it in the price range. The Dacport http://centrance.com/products/dacport/ is another option that I have heard and thought it was a great sounding USB DAC. The headphone amp on the DacPort is supprisingly great also. Just throwing you a couple more options. 

Mar 25, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #636 of 834
It's scary to think that sferic might nave been serious, but April 1st is fast approaching.

Mar 25, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #638 of 834

Quote:

Obviously this guy is a master at sarcasm.

Mar 25, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #639 of 834
I think he was serious, but he clearly needs to learn what the STATIC part of Electrostatic means :wink: Outside of odd drivers like the Heil, and such, electrostats are the only speaker transducers that use no magnets at all, are they not?

Mar 25, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #640 of 834
Ha yes. Correct. Electrostatic speakers don't use electromagnets, that was incorrect. Mea culpa. They do need a power supply, same as electromagnets, because they use an electrified grid on either side of the diaphragm to move it back & forth. In the big picture not all that different, you're using varying electrical charges to push & pull something to move air. Some of the earliest speakers did use electromagnets, and when natural magnets became widely available, speaker technology really took off because you didn't need a power source. I was thinking about this early state of the tech when I lumped electrostatics into the same bucket.

You know, I sometimes don't give these posts a lot of thought, have had a cocktail or two, and I do apologize for spreading misinformation. I love this site and do it for fun and relaxation, it's not my life's mission, hence my relatively small number of postings. My main point was that certain types of speakers/headphones need a power source and others don't, that much was clear. 

But all of your cruel remarks (and not one of you bothering to really explain electrostatics for those people I might have confused) really make me just want to walk away and leave it to the jocks competing for imaginary girlfriends/boyfriends who are turned on by a 500+ post count. If you really want to build a community here why not try a little tact, lift your brother/sister when s/he falls down instead stomping him/her in the face. I'm not competing with anyone here on technical knowledge, just trying to share how much or how little I know after spending 50 years loving music and music technology.

For the benefit of those who want to understand electrostatics better (which sound incredible in my foolish opinion) here's the link to Martin-Logan's site:
http://www.martinlogan.com/learn/faq-electrostatic.php

And here's a link to an excellent article on wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrostatic_loudspeaker

Have a great weekend everyone.

And ps: yes, I am a master at sarcasm, possibly a PhD. How did you know? 

Mar 25, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #641 of 834

Quote:
Outside of odd drivers like the Heil, and such, electrostats are the only speaker transducers that use no magnets at all, are they not?

Nope, there are a number of drivers in the audio world that are piezo electric.  None used in headphones that I'm aware of.  Heils use very strong magnets and are, of course, electromagnetically actuated.  The other audio transducer technology that has not shown up in headphones is plasma / ionic air motion transducers.

Mar 25, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #642 of 834

Quote:
Ha yes. Correct. Electrostatic speakers don't use electromagnets, that was incorrect. Mea culpa. They do need a power supply, same as electromagnets, because they use an electrified grid on either side of the diaphragm to move it back & forth. In the big picture not all that different, you're using varying electrical charges to push & pull something to move air. Some of the earliest speakers did use electromagnets, and when natural magnets became widely available, speaker technology really took off because you didn't need a power source. I was thinking about this early state of the tech when I lumped electrostatics into the same bucket.

You know, I sometimes don't give these posts a lot of thought, have had a cocktail or two, and I do apologize for spreading misinformation. I love this site and do it for fun and relaxation, it's not my life's mission, hence my relatively small number of postings. My main point was that certain types of speakers/headphones need a power source and others don't, that much was clear. 

But all of your cruel remarks (and not one of you bothering to really explain electrostatics for those people I might have confused) really make me just want to walk away and leave it to the jocks competing for imaginary girlfriends/boyfriends who are turned on by a 500+ post count. If you really want to build a community here why not try a little tact, lift your brother/sister when s/he falls down instead stomping him/her in the face. I'm not competing with anyone here on technical knowledge, just trying to share how much or how little I know after spending 50 years loving music and music technology.

Have a great weekend everyone.

And ps: yes, I am a master at sarcasm, possibly a PhD. How did you know? 

I thought you were kidding.  How was anyone to know you weren't?  I don't think anyone here is clairvoyant.  Sorry you were offended.  Didn't mean to make a joke at your expense.  I thought we were laughing with you.

Mar 25, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #643 of 834
Thanks Skylab, I need to learn more about my ESS 1AMTb speakers which have Heil Air Motion for mids/highs. I love them. They don't plug in, didn't realize they used electromagnets. I'm wrong again, I guess electromagnets don't always need an external power source. Love this site for the knowledge sharing.

Mar 26, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #644 of 834

Quote:
Thanks Skylab, I need to learn more about my ESS 1AMTb speakers which have Heil Air Motion for mids/highs. I love them. They don't plug in, didn't realize they used electromagnets. I'm wrong again, I guess electromagnets don't always need an external power source. Love this site for the knowledge sharing.

AMTs don't use electromagnets, but they use permanent magnets and like most dynamic transducers, they are electromagnetically actuated.  That is, the current flowing through the voice coil or ribbon as the case may be fluctuates with the audio signal, this in turn creates an electromagnet field which fluctuates with the audio signal.  This fluctuating field works against the steady/stationary magnetic field created by the permanent magnet and causes the ribbon or voice coil to move the air in concert with the fluctuating audio signal.

Mar 26, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #645 of 834
Sorry again, I put Skylab but was responding to KWkarth. I have noticed the Heil Air Motion transformers will pull anything steel to them like a vise, so I did figure they must have natural magnets in them. Fell in love with unconventional drivers because of these. Thanks for the explanation, great info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back