NITSCH x Schiit Pietus Maximus Release/Impressions Thread
Feb 18, 2024 at 8:38 PM Post #391 of 462
As an Asgard 3 owner I'm wondering what future Asgard 3 will have..

Is the Pietus a big step up?
I have both and Asgard 3 which was my main for the last year, and recently got the Pietus. I have to say the Asgard 3 I love…….but this amp is just different enough in good ways I really appreciate! Not sure what it is, I think the dynamics (not sure where or if it’s macro or micro details) just seem tighter and more noticeable? It still has the warm nature of the Asgard but the bass presentation the pietus does is also different (not sure if it’s just the dynamic nature)?

Feb 26, 2024 at 8:01 PM Post #392 of 462
Thanks to all that have thoroughly reviewed the PMax in this thread. It made me not only turn from Head-Fi lurker to new account owner, but also order it!

Coming from a Magni 2U + Modi 3E (been on the $200 Schiit stack life for a couple of years now), I am very excited for a due upgrade. Going to be running the PMax with an included 9028 for now. However, I will be getting an external dac eventually. Running OG HD650's and Aeon RT Opens on this new setup!

Feb 28, 2024 at 11:28 AM Post #393 of 462
You could always just plug in a headphone adapter that isn’t connected to anything. That will disable the pre out.

I’m pretty impressed with the PMax as a preamp. It’s much better than the Magni Unity. When I switched over I suddenly had a soundstage. I didn’t notice much difference switching to the GS-X Mini. I’ve been comparing the Gjallarhorn to the Aegir in my speaker system with different preamps. I’ve also used it with IEMs and headphones. It’s been aces at everything so far. I guess the Lyr+ has a remote control and tube stage going for it. I wonder how they would compare directly for sound quality. I’ve been cheating by feeding the PMax with a DAC that has volume control and a remote.
Thinking about using this as a preamp for Aegir, can you say how it stacked up against other preamps in this setup?

Feb 28, 2024 at 12:17 PM Post #394 of 462
I've been meaning to listen to mine as a preamp @Orange5o. I might be able to give you an impression sometime soon, given some time to set it up.

Feb 28, 2024 at 4:22 PM Post #396 of 462
Thinking about using this as a preamp for Aegir, can you say how it stacked up against other preamps in this setup?
TLDR - PMax is a winner. If it existed a few years ago I might have made some different purchasing decisions. As it is, it’s a very capable addition, but not a replacement.

I didn’t do much more comparison than I already described. My gateway into headphones was when I upgraded my 2 channel preamp from a Schiit Saga+ to the LTA MZ3. No plans to ever upgrade further and not just because I’ll never have the money now that I spend every spare cent on head-fi gear. For my tube chain it’s the cat’s meow, and nothing else comes close. For my all SS chain the GS-X Mini acts more as a buffer than a true pre. I use the Soekris dac1421 remote volume control, but was never satisfied running it directly into the Aegir. It sounds flat without it. I just adjust the volume pot on the Mini so my listening level is near full output on the dac1421. I run headphones in a similar fashion if using the Mini or another HPA.

When I used the PMax the same way no big differences jumped out the way they did when moving from the Unity to PMax. I actually briefly considered selling the GS-X, but I may need it if I ever get some harder to drive cans (Abyss would be fine though Tugsten or HE6 might still be a stretch), and it won’t work in my other setup because it doesn’t get along with IEMs. I had no plans for IEMs when I bought the GS-X, but things change.

I moved the PMax with Ghorn into my bedroom where it does well with low volumes on speakers and any of my current headphones or IEMs. I would also have been happy with that combo in my main system for SS. However neither the GS-X or Aegir would work as well in that second system, mostly from a form factor perspective. If I took a lot of time critically listening I think more subtle differences would become apparent, but I have a hard time focusing in that manner. I always seem to be listening to the wrong thing.

Feb 28, 2024 at 6:14 PM Post #397 of 462
I agree that it's a winner. I'm mostly a speaker guy, so I don't need a TOTL headphone amp. For my needs, I don't think I could do any better than PMax for less than $1K. It's pretty much end game for me, at least at this stage of the journey. The bonus is that it has enough midrange "magic" that I won't have another tube amp to feed.

I'll report back when I get a chance to use it as a preamp. I don't imagine it will be kicking my Freya-N out, but I'd imagine will do pretty well. I tried Piety as a preamp for a while and it was very good.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2024 at 8:01 PM Post #399 of 462
Hello,

I just got two Piety Maximus, one with the Schiit Multibit DAC card, and one with the Schiit ESS DAC card...
Will do a comparison in a few days.
Warming up now!

Alex

The Nitsch Piety / Pietus family!
Nice looking amps...

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/nitsch-x-schiit-pietus-maximus.26889/reviews

1709946010421.png

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2024 at 8:15 PM Post #400 of 462
Hello,

I just got two Piety Maximus, one with the Schiit Multibit DAC card, and one with the Schiit ESS DAC card...
Will do a comparison in a few days.
Warming up now!

Alex

The Nitsch Piety / Pietus family!
Nice looking amps...

1709946010421.png
Now that is real commitment to the cause!

Mar 8, 2024 at 8:28 PM Post #401 of 462
I bought a Piety back on day 1.
Good amp....love it.

I have gone thru 30 + amps over the past few years...
Down to 10 or so, buy use, sell, buy new etc..
Keep some.

Many sound pretty close to each other, some really different...
Very interested in seeing how the two dacs in the Maximus "work"...

I have a new Modius E with the ESS dac and its superb, compared to MB2 which was a "favorite"...
Will be fun to compare...

Will look at the two then compare with the Piety with the Modius E as well against the Maximus with the
internal ESS 9028 card.

Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back