NITSCH x Schiit Pietus Maximus Release/Impressions Thread
Jan 24, 2024 at 1:46 AM Post #347 of 463
The only thing that PM is missing for me is a front switch to turn on or off the pre amp section rather than having to pull out my Hart inter connect. Other than that I’ve found my SS end game….for now lol

Jan 24, 2024 at 3:00 AM Post #348 of 463
The only thing that PM is missing for me is a front switch to turn on or off the pre amp section rather than having to pull out my Hart inter connect. Other than that I’ve found my SS end game….for now lol
You could always just plug in a headphone adapter that isn’t connected to anything. That will disable the pre out.

I’m pretty impressed with the PMax as a preamp. It’s much better than the Magni Unity. When I switched over I suddenly had a soundstage. I didn’t notice much difference switching to the GS-X Mini. I’ve been comparing the Gjallarhorn to the Aegir in my speaker system with different preamps. I’ve also used it with IEMs and headphones. It’s been aces at everything so far. I guess the Lyr+ has a remote control and tube stage going for it. I wonder how they would compare directly for sound quality. I’ve been cheating by feeding the PMax with a DAC that has volume control and a remote.

Jan 26, 2024 at 10:48 AM Post #350 of 463
The CTH adds a bit of tube sweetness. This sounds nicer. But there’s nothing lacking, wrong, or conspicuous with PM.
I would agree PMax sounds smooth so off the bat it feels like nothing's really wrong with it.

Except I do find it lacks air a bit which limits stage size a little.
I had my eye on a Lyr+ before discovering the PM. PM is the better value on paper, but I can imagine a scenario where Lyr+ is the better fit.
Like you I was thinking about a Lyr+ until the PM came along and now, I'm following this thread to see which direction I might go into.
I think it could be up to taste but I liked Lyr 3 better than PMax, and Lyr+ is said to be better than Lyr 3.

So by deduction there is a chance you might like Lyr+ more than PMax.

Again........ depending on taste/preference. But tube naturally open up the staging and feels more open and less cramped.

On a side note, how's everyone else doing with their PMax? I feel like honeymoon phase is over I start seeing PMax popping up left and right on classified.

So if anyone plan to snatch one, now is the time to visit the classified. :joy:

EDIT: I see there's at least 3-4 in classified, which is odd because in this thread no one complain about anything (maybe just me) so it's assumed that everyone's super happy with it. But then clearly some people are selling theirs since it's in classified.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2024 at 1:03 PM Post #351 of 463
On a side note, how's everyone else doing with their PMax? I feel like honeymoon phase is over I start seeing PMax popping up left and right on classified.
Mine isn't going anywhere! Coming from the Asgard 3, I never knew how much I'd appreciate a negative gain switch for IEMs.

I just got an R2R dongle DAC for my phone though, so that has me questioning the rest of my chain! The internal ESS card in the PMax is a lot quieter in high gain than my Modius, but I'm not sure if that's the fault of the Modius or the RCA inputs (or my cables)...

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2024 at 1:10 PM Post #352 of 463
From the flank, I wonder if anyone has the ability to compare Pietus vis-à-vis Midgard using the Halo output.
I did note an improvement in soundstage depth with Halo; although not perfect, it does cast another positive light on the Midgard.

Jan 26, 2024 at 1:54 PM Post #353 of 463
I just got an R2R dongle DAC for my phone though, so that has me questioning the rest of my chain! The internal ESS card in the PMax is a lot quieter in high gain than my Modius, but I'm not sure if that's the fault of the Modius or the RCA inputs (or my cables)...
RU6? RU7? FC6? :laughing:

Also for Modius, if you're getting extra noise, maybe try using the extra power input and hooked up to a phone charger or something. Unless you're doing that already..... lol.

Jan 26, 2024 at 1:58 PM Post #354 of 463

So if anyone plan to snatch one, now is the time to visit the classified. :joy:

EDIT: I see there's at least 3-4 in classified, which is odd because in this thread no one complain about anything (maybe just me) so it's assumed that everyone's super happy with it. But then clearly some people are selling theirs since it's in classified.

I absolutely love mine. I had to send it back to get the input switch issue fixed permanently. Ceetee swapped the circuit board under warranty and all good now. Totally gold and I cannot stop listening to it. I enjoy the sound stage that it adds that I didn't have before. It really brings my Sennheiser 560S to life and also does wonders for my Sennheiser 660S2. The Maximus is a life long keeper for me.

Not sure why others are selling theirs. You can always pop in on their ad/PM them and ask!

Jan 26, 2024 at 2:19 PM Post #355 of 463
RU6? RU7? FC6? :laughing:

Also for Modius, if you're getting extra noise, maybe try using the extra power input and hooked up to a phone charger or something. Unless you're doing that already..... lol.
RU6! It's definitely a very different musical presentation than the THX Onyx that I'd been using, but I haven't yet decided if I think it's better because it's new and novel, or if it's actually "better." I guess that's the fun part of this infuriating, wonderful hobby!

Good tip on the Modius, I have not tried that but will definitely do so (was just running it off USB input from PC)!

Jan 26, 2024 at 2:50 PM Post #356 of 463
RU6! It's definitely a very different musical presentation than the THX Onyx that I'd been using, but I haven't yet decided if I think it's better because it's new and novel, or if it's actually "better." I guess that's the fun part of this infuriating, wonderful hobby!
Oh yeah RU6 definitely is most "R2R" sounding units I've heard, though it does have roll off on certain frequencies.

Otherwise RU6 do sound pretty good on its own. I have yet to try using external amp hooked up to it, but I've read some people have good results.
Good tip on the Modius, I have not tried that but will definitely do so (was just running it off USB input from PC)!
Definitely try that, PMax really don't like DAC that's USB powered, you get noise when you touch your volume knob. :laughing:

When you get it powered somewhere else it seems to fix it.

Fun fact, the internal DAC card is actually powered by the PMax power, not USB. So it's immune to this issue.

Jan 26, 2024 at 4:23 PM Post #357 of 463
Deleted

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2024 at 12:31 AM Post #358 of 463
LOL why did you delete it?!?! I was ready to sit down and type a nice reply LOL.

Anyway......... Lyr 3 vs PMax, let's see.........

PMax I think definitely feels very mature and smooth sounding. Nothing feels piercing or tuned off. Very good for relaxing listen. But as I mentioned earlier, there's definitely a roll off in high treble in the air region. I find this amp basically get rid of any room reflections. As a result the stage feels small ish.

In comparison to Lyr 3 where if I use the single 6SN7, it already feels huge, and when switched to 6J5 x 2 (twin tube), then the stage gets hugeeeeeeeeeeeee. But I'll be honest, Lyr 3 isn't as refined sounding as PMax. Though Lyr 3 is already more refined sounding than most amp out there.

Bass quantity wise I think PMax is bass neutral.....?????? Doesn't feel too bassy. Lyr 3 is BASSY. It help sell the "large" feeling. You know when you're in movie theatre hearing the rumble and everything feels large? Lyr 3 can do that.

Lyr 3 also seems to sound good with every DAC that I've tried. PMax is the first amp that I tried that made SDAC sound terrible LOL (my favourite DAC). But it's ok PMax still sound good with the ESS card and MMB2. But it never got rid of that "small" feeling. (Though another head-fi member report Gungnir fixes that)

Another issue is mids, PMax is mid centric, but not overly so like Piety. Piety definitely has richer mids. Lyr 3 is probably half way in middle between PMax and Piety.

Now another issue is tube vs solid state, unfortunately most solid state simply can't replicate the imaging and stage size of tube. And Lyr 3 isn't even that tube sounding. Lyr 3 is hybrid so it's already consider as "a very good sounding solid state" sound by most. And even at that I think it still sound more 3D than PMax.

lol sorry this might sound like I'm bashing PMax, but it's not. It's more like a "what would you rather have" situation. Like I said PMax is the most mature and smooth sounding amp I've heard. It's just that I guess I value air and stage depth/size more, which tube does better. Oh and Lyr 3 is a bit "looser" sounding and PMax is more clean and precise.

At this point it's a bit like....... PMax is a tube sounding solid state, Lyr 3 is a solid state sounding tube hybrid LOL. At what point do you meet in the middle haha.

It's like would you rather have a really fast SUV, or would you rather have a 2 door sports car with big trunk.

Anyway I feel like I'm rambling on and I don't know if this helps or not, but hopefully it helps a little bit LOL.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2024 at 9:19 AM Post #359 of 463
LOL why did you delete it?!?! I was ready to sit down and type a nice reply LOL.

Anyway......... Lyr 3 vs PMax, let's see.........

PMax I think definitely feels very mature and smooth sounding. Nothing feels piercing or tuned off. Very good for relaxing listen. But as I mentioned earlier, there's definitely a roll off in high treble in the air region. I find this amp basically get rid of any room reflections. As a result the stage feels small ish.

In comparison to Lyr 3 where if I use the single 6SN7, it already feels huge, and when switched to 6J5 x 2 (twin tube), then the stage gets hugeeeeeeeeeeeee. But I'll be honest, Lyr 3 isn't as refined sounding as PMax. Though Lyr 3 is already more refined sounding than most amp out there.

Bass quantity wise I think PMax is bass neutral.....?????? Doesn't feel too bassy. Lyr 3 is BASSY. It help sell the "large" feeling. You know when you're in movie theatre hearing the rumble and everything feels large? Lyr 3 can do that.

Lyr 3 also seems to sound good with every DAC that I've tried. PMax is the first amp that I tried that made SDAC sound terrible LOL (my favourite DAC). But it's ok PMax still sound good with the ESS card and MMB2. But it never got rid of that "small" feeling. (Though another head-fi member report Gungnir fixes that)

Another issue is mids, PMax is mid centric, but not overly so like Piety. Piety definitely has richer mids. Lyr 3 is probably half way in middle between PMax and Piety.

Now another issue is tube vs solid state, unfortunately most solid state simply can't replicate the imaging and stage size of tube. And Lyr 3 isn't even that tube sounding. Lyr 3 is hybrid so it's already consider as "a very good sounding solid state" sound by most. And even at that I think it still sound more 3D than PMax.

lol sorry this might sound like I'm bashing PMax, but it's not. It's more like a "what would you rather have" situation. Like I said PMax is the most mature and smooth sounding amp I've heard. It's just that I guess I value air and stage depth/size more, which tube does better. Oh and Lyr 3 is a bit "looser" sounding and PMax is more clean and precise.

At this point it's a bit like....... PMax is a tube sounding solid state, Lyr 3 is a solid state sounding tube hybrid LOL. At what point do you meet in the middle haha.

It's like would you rather have a really fast SUV, or would you rather have a 2 door sports car with big trunk.

Anyway I feel like I'm rambling on and I don't know if this helps or not, but hopefully it helps a little bit LOL.

Cheers!
oh sorry, I just noticed that early on in this thread there were other comparisons and I figured I should do my own research rather than ask 1000 annoying questions haha. That was an epic break down. I'll be ordering soon, so I'm just trying to figure out if the pmax is really the way to go, which is why I asked. I never owned a tube. Both seem right up my ally tho. This hobby is tough sometimes. Will do some thinking.

Jan 27, 2024 at 10:00 AM Post #360 of 463
oh sorry, I just noticed that early on in this thread there were other comparisons and I figured I should do my own research rather than ask 1000 annoying questions haha. That was an epic break down. I'll be ordering soon, so I'm just trying to figure out if the pmax is really the way to go, which is why I asked. I never owned a tube. Both seem right up my ally tho. This hobby is tough sometimes. Will do some thinking.
Lol it's all good, sometimes I find I have to read the same thing 4-5 times until it really click to me. Definitely don't feel bad asking a few times.

But anyway, the tube thing, I totally get it lol. I avoided tube for soooooooo long. Who wants to deal with the 30 seconds delay start? Tube heating up like a light bulb and could potentially burn yourself? Also wasting the limit tube life when you just want to watch something on YouTube where sound quality doesn't matter? Then having to hunt through eBay looking for the legendary unicorn NOS (new old stock) tube only to find out it sounds meh and you've wasted your money? Yupe that's the life of tube amp owners.:joy:

That being said why we go through such lengths trying to find "tube sounding solid state" such as Piety and Pietus Maximus? Because tube sounds.... good!:laughing:

Ok another example, I started with Dragonfly Red, and contrary to popular belief it does not sound neutral, it has a very specific sound signature. So I've been trying to find another solid state device with the same sound signature for so long. Bought and sold countless things. Only when I tried tube amp it was like AH is this what I've been looking for all this time? And I wasted how much money trial and error?

Ok not saying your first tube amp it will be your end game, you'd still need some trial and error but you know lol. Can't be avoided in this hobby. But there are definitely some stuff that's not replicatable in solid state. That and Lyr 3 is a tube hybrid, meaning it's tube input stage and solid stage output stage, so it's only 50% tube. But it's enough for you to see the "potential". Then you can try OTL later.

Anyway I'm rambling on too long. Point is, someone told me that hybrid amp it doesn't drive the tube as hard. So running it 8 hours a day it should last you something like 7 years.

So if you've never tried then don't be scared to try (I know because I was like that, but then I struggle to find a solid state amp that convince me to go back, I sold Piety and PMax). If this makes sense.:sweat_smile:

EDIT: The guy who sold me Lyr 3 upgraded to GS-X Mini, so he told me when you spend 4x the money then you definitely can get that sound too LOL. He also has Folkvangr too I believe.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back