RAAL 1995 headphones, Magna and Immanis
Mar 26, 2024 at 9:50 PM Post #766 of 1,387
Much of the conversation now about these surrounds really expensive tube amplifiers. The system cost of these $6000-$12,000+ amplifiers will limit the audience.

With the Jot R no longer made, it will be important to share info together about what affordable amplifier options work well with the new headphones. Obviously it is subjective, but I wrote that the Magna and Immanis are easier to drive and were less amplifier picky than the SR1a. I am looking forward to learning which amplifiers that are under $1000 (think Schiit Lyr+ for example) work with the new transformer stand for the Magna in particular. It is already an expensive headphone (worth every penny), I think affordable amplifier will open the market for it.

In the meantime, hold onto your Jotunheim R!

I'm so glad I snatched up one of the last Jotunheim A amps when they were on close-out. It's been a really good affordable option for my CA-1a, as it's only slightly different from the R, but it's a bit of a shame they aren't available new anymore.

Mar 27, 2024 at 1:12 AM Post #767 of 1,387
I think this time it is going to be Donna Summer's Bad Girls. Cannot get that tune out of my head after hearing in on the office LRS+ system.
Give Butterfly Net by Caroline Polachek a listen. The spatial info on that track was blowing my mind the other day, there's all these ethereal sounds kind of swirling around and her voice echoes out into infinity, it's spooky on a setup with great imaging/soundstage like LRS+, X9000 or any of the RAAL headphones.

Hi All, @gammi and @nfandi have re-emphasized my point regarding the VM1a and Jot R but maybe I can add to it now. I hoped to avoid any controversy in sharing my opinions, and this one point seems to need elaboration.
Thanks for the extra detail, much appreciated. So excited to get my Magna and Immanis and get testing them.

Mar 27, 2024 at 1:52 AM Post #768 of 1,387
Give Butterfly Net by Caroline Polachek a listen. The spatial info on that track was blowing my mind the other day, there's all these ethereal sounds kind of swirling around and her voice echoes out into infinity, it's spooky on a setup with great imaging/soundstage like LRS+, X9000 or any of the RAAL headphones.

Thanks for the extra detail, much appreciated. So excited to get my Magna and Immanis and get testing them.
That song does sound pretty good on the CA-1a. Good song and great sonic effects. I first listened on the Holo Serene into the Schitt Aegir. It sounded good so I played it again on the VM-1a. Now that is a sonic beauty. Great track. Only reason I had the Aegir setup was because I wanted to listen to KCRW radio, and I only have my DAC on the VM-1a.

I think I may dump the Aegir amp and try the Benchmark AHB2 in its place. The VM-1a makes it hard to like other gear.

My favorite album from the past decade is a bit like the Caroline Polacheck track. I love everything on Lux Prima by Karen O and Danger Mouse.

Mar 27, 2024 at 2:26 AM Post #769 of 1,387
I tried the Caroline Polacheck track on the Holo Serene preamp | Schitt Yggi+ LIM DAC | Benchmark AHB2. This is almost as good as the VM-1a, there is a bit more details but also a tiny bit of excessive treble energy, nothing too much to tolerate for a couple of albums. The VM-1a has a beautiful glow to it that the AHB2 combo does not but there are also some very positive attributes on the AHB2 combo. More clarity for one and a like you are there soundstage.

Interestingly, I do not like the Schitt Aegir amp with the Holo Serene. It is a better pairing with the Schitt Mjolnir preamp/headphone amp.

I occasionally like the Mjolnir preamp/headphone amp on the LRS+ 2-channel speaker. it is easy to setup 2 preamps on my CODA #16 amp with has a front facing switch to toggle between XLR and RCA input on the amp.

Definitely keeping the AHB2 amp as a headphone option. Currently it is hooked up to the TI-1b using a 25-foot RAAL cable. The same 4-foot version of this RAAL cable sounds the same as this 25-foot cable. With the 25-foot cable I can walk the TI-1b to the bedroom and listen to the CA-1a in bed. One reason I kept the CA-1a over the SR1a, when deciding which to sell in order to buy a new RAAL phone. I did not like the SR1a on a pillow.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 11:03 AM Post #770 of 1,387

My God I love Butterfly net. So ethereal! Haven't heard it on the Raal yet obviously, but I particularly adore it on the Verite Open on tubes.

Mar 27, 2024 at 11:25 AM Post #771 of 1,387
My favorite album from the past decade is a bit like the Caroline Polacheck track. I love everything on Lux Prima by Karen O and Danger Mouse.
so I pulled up a track from this called Turn the Light and the intro reminded me of a song from the 80s. After a couple of minutes I recalled it's Laura Branigan's Self Control around the 2:10 mark. No relevance to this thread whatsoever. Carry on

Mar 28, 2024 at 7:41 PM Post #772 of 1,387
Ugh.. keep forgetting this thread is in this section lol. Having fun catching up though and can't wait until I have my hands on the Immanis :)

Mar 28, 2024 at 8:18 PM Post #773 of 1,387
Ugh.. keep forgetting this thread is in this section lol. Having fun catching up though and can't wait until I have my hands on the Immanis :)
Should we move it to the Raal Ribbon Headphones thread? You are the second member to suggest we're possibly posting in the wrong place. I just looked at teh navigation and see we're in Sponsor Announcements. Another member suggested we should be in Summit-fi.

Mar 28, 2024 at 8:22 PM Post #774 of 1,387
Should we move it to the Raal Ribbon Headphones thread? You are the second member to suggest we're possibly posting in the wrong place. I just looked at teh navigation and see we're in Sponsor Announcements. Another member suggested we should be in Summit-fi.
Agree this should be in summit-fi. These are no fly-by-night releases, these are market disrupters, here to stay.

Mar 28, 2024 at 8:34 PM Post #775 of 1,387
Agree this should be in summit-fi. These are no fly-by-night releases, these are market disrupters, here to stay.
OK, if I have anything more to contribute I'll do it over there. That will also serve to clutter @Aleksandar R. 's Forum less and maybe leave it for techinical questions and announcements, as it was designed for!

Mar 28, 2024 at 8:41 PM Post #776 of 1,387

Just a habit, and I need to remember to keep checking this thread. I get why it's here, and I suspect most posts will continue to be here until more head-fiers get them in their hands. :)

Mar 28, 2024 at 9:03 PM Post #777 of 1,387
Just a habit, and I need to remember to keep checking this thread. I get why it's here, and I suspect most posts will continue to be here until more head-fiers get them in their hands. :)
One suggestion is to click the watch thread option and it'll be in your feed. It's how I follow all of the threads of interest.

Mar 29, 2024 at 5:59 AM Post #778 of 1,387
I think you’re right, but why does it annoy me so much that the other large Raal thread is called SRH1A? Was that a typo or did somebody actually call it that before it became the SR-1a? There is also the Raal 1995 Immanis thread that Chefguru started Feb 1st. That is in the Summit-Fi section. Maybe we should use that one to differentiate between the days of Raal-Requisite and the new order of Raal 1995. I’m not fussed as long as we go say hello to Ciggavelli; he must be very lonely these days.

Mar 29, 2024 at 6:27 AM Post #779 of 1,387
I think you’re right, but why does it annoy me so much that the other large Raal thread is called SRH1A? Was that a typo or did somebody actually call it that before it became the SR-1a? There is also the Raal 1995 Immanis thread that Chefguru started Feb 1st. That is in the Summit-Fi section. Maybe we should use that one to differentiate between the days of Raal-Requisite and the new order of Raal 1995. I’m not fussed as long as we go say hello to Ciggavelli; he must be very lonely these days.

Most of the threads in the summit-fi section are titled by one specific product and themed around it rather than the brand. It's pretty typical. Again, once more users have them in their hands, either people will use the Immanis thread created there already or start an impression thread themselves. It will all work out, just a temporary inconvenience for now lol

Given it seems Raal has plenty of demand and interest already, I wouldn't really think of it as a concern of visibility at this point.

Mar 29, 2024 at 6:27 AM Post #780 of 1,387
  • Noise floor. If you are for sure absolutely clinical in needing a dead silent noise floor, my VM1a made noise on both the new headphones. I absolutely respect this could be a tube issue, the power on hand, etc. I am only relating my experience in this circumstance. The Jotunheim R is as quiet as a dead mouse on both.
I'm queuing for an Immanis, so I can't say anything about the combo with the new headphones, but I have the wm1a and I can say that some tubes, such as some alternative models of the 6sl7 nos, can blow and don't have a very noticeable black . Out of curiosity, what tube are you using?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back