Rosson Audio Design RAD-0 - Alex's Beautiful New Baby
May 24, 2019 at 7:18 AM Post #63 of 1,038
Hi Guys, just got the RAD-0 in the door the other day and thought we should churn out some initial impressions. Nothing in-depth yet but already this is a great sounding headphone.

https://headfonics.com/2019/05/rosson-audio-design-rad-0-first-contact/

DSCF1367-1.jpg

Jun 20, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #65 of 1,038
Very intrigued with this new venture of Mr. Rosson..as my daily driver is an LCD-4, any reviews, comparisons, etc, would be very appreciated..

Headphonics is currently reviewing one, they have a unit they and will be doing a thorough review. Also headfier Dobrescu George with Audiophile heaven has a unit and will be doing a review for you guys.

We are a small shop and our demo/review inventory is minimal. We look forward to getting more units out for review very soon.

Rosson Audio Design Stay updated on Rosson Audio Design at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/RossonAudio https://twitter.com/Alex_Rosson https://www.instagram.com/Rosson_audio_design/ https://www.rossonaudiodesign.com/ support@rosson.audio
Jul 2, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #66 of 1,038
So I just heard this headphone, and I gotta say. I was under the assumption that nothing after HE6SE from HIFIMAN would be able to amaze me anymore. Like for real, that one blew me away so much, and for a good price, that I didn't expect the velocity with which RAD-0 hit me, this is a headphone that now I am in love with :)

So RAD-0 is like the thing you want if you love music. They sound so musical that I have to gather my words to start talking about them.

This time around, I can't hear the Audeze sound behind. As far as I understand, Rosson's Alex was at some point with Audeze, but RAD-0 has an entirely different sound, something that indicates Rosson knows how to make music. There's nothing about RAD-0 that will make you understand it more than how well it plays with virtually anything. Death Metal? It sounds sweet and musical. Electronic? Sweet and Musical! Pop? You bet it is musical!!

The thing is, this is a fairly well done headphone as far as its FR or frequency response goes, it isn't overly warm nor overly thick, but it has substance and impact, snappy sounds are snappy, heavy sounds are heavy.

I'm having fun. RAD-0 is fun.

Very intrigued with this new venture of Mr. Rosson..as my daily driver is an LCD-4, any reviews, comparisons, etc, would be very appreciated..

I think that I'll be doing comparisons with LCD-4, HE6SE, and probably Crosszone CZ-1. If anyone wants more comparisons, I'm here to add to my list, this headphone desrves it.

BTW, in a few short words, the comparison to LCD-4 is in favor of RAD-0 when it comes to musicality and how liquid / how well sounds flow. It is quicker, snappier, more impactful and more enjoyable. LCD-4 resolves more details. RAD-0 is more forward and more engaging. LCD-4 has a slightly larger soundstage.

They are different, I think that RAD-0 is somewhat closer to a very musical and dynamic LCD-MX4 rather than similar to LCD-4. I'd take MX4 for mastering, but I'd take RAD-0 for listening to music and enjoying it.

The dynamics on RAD-0 are insane tho

And Oh Boy, does RAD-0 get loud without distortions. Thing is, RAD-0 has absolutely zero distortion, the clarity of its bass is simply insane.

---

More testing before my post with more eloquent first impressions, this is just a quick snapshot from my listening today, as I just got the package. Actually, I got it 3-5 days ago, but I let them burn in, slowly, with classical music, progressiuvely increasing volume. I don't really care if anyone believes in burn-in, I'll do it to stay fair to other equipment :)

Jul 2, 2019 at 9:08 PM Post #68 of 1,038
So I just heard this headphone, and I gotta say. I was under the assumption that nothing after HE6SE from HIFIMAN would be able to amaze me anymore. Like for real, that one blew me away so much, and for a good price, that I didn't expect the velocity with which RAD-0 hit me, this is a headphone that now I am in love with :)

So RAD-0 is like the thing you want if you love music. They sound so musical that I have to gather my words to start talking about them.

This time around, I can't hear the Audeze sound behind. As far as I understand, Rosson's Alex was at some point with Audeze, but RAD-0 has an entirely different sound, something that indicates Rosson knows how to make music. There's nothing about RAD-0 that will make you understand it more than how well it plays with virtually anything. Death Metal? It sounds sweet and musical. Electronic? Sweet and Musical! Pop? You bet it is musical!!

The thing is, this is a fairly well done headphone as far as its FR or frequency response goes, it isn't overly warm nor overly thick, but it has substance and impact, snappy sounds are snappy, heavy sounds are heavy.

I'm having fun. RAD-0 is fun.

I think that I'll be doing comparisons with LCD-4, HE6SE, and probably Crosszone CZ-1. If anyone wants more comparisons, I'm here to add to my list, this headphone desrves it.

BTW, in a few short words, the comparison to LCD-4 is in favor of RAD-0 when it comes to musicality and how liquid / how well sounds flow. It is quicker, snappier, more impactful and more enjoyable. LCD-4 resolves more details. RAD-0 is more forward and more engaging. LCD-4 has a slightly larger soundstage.

They are different, I think that RAD-0 is somewhat closer to a very musical and dynamic LCD-MX4 rather than similar to LCD-4. I'd take MX4 for mastering, but I'd take RAD-0 for listening to music and enjoying it.

The dynamics on RAD-0 are insane tho

And Oh Boy, does RAD-0 get loud without distortions. Thing is, RAD-0 has absolutely zero distortion, the clarity of its bass is simply insane.

---

More testing before my post with more eloquent first impressions, this is just a quick snapshot from my listening today, as I just got the package. Actually, I got it 3-5 days ago, but I let them burn in, slowly, with classical music, progressiuvely increasing volume. I don't really care if anyone believes in burn-in, I'll do it to stay fair to other equipment :)

Happy to hear you are enjoying them so far!

Rosson Audio Design Stay updated on Rosson Audio Design at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/RossonAudio https://twitter.com/Alex_Rosson https://www.instagram.com/Rosson_audio_design/ https://www.rossonaudiodesign.com/ support@rosson.audio
Jul 3, 2019 at 9:55 PM Post #69 of 1,038
I’m not sure if anybody else has these headphones yet, but if one of you does have a pair, can you give some comparisons?

Specifically, based on what I own, how does it compare to Audeze LCD-2, Focal Utopia, Fostex th900mk2, Sennheiser HD800, or Abyss Phi 1266 TC?

Also, what amps and DACs are you all using? I’d be running them through a Chord Hugo TT2.

The Rossons are priced near Meze Empyreans and ZMF Verites (2 other headphones I’ve had my eye on). I’m big into complicated metal (death, doom, and black). I’ve been told the the ZMFs are the best at metal, but I haven’t been able to try them out. Some say the Rosson cans would be good for rock/metal, which is why they are on my radar

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2019 at 7:47 PM Post #70 of 1,038
I’m not sure if anybody else has these headphones yet, but if one of you does have a pair, can you give some comparisons?

Specifically, based on what I own, how does it compare to Audeze LCD-2, Focal Utopia, Fostex th900mk2, Sennheiser HD800, or Abyss Phi 1266 TC?

Also, what amps and DACs are you all using? I’d be running them through a Chord Hugo TT2.

The Rossons are priced near Meze Empyreans and ZMF Verites (2 other headphones I’ve had my eye on). I’m big into complicated metal (death, doom, and black). I’ve been told the the ZMFs are the best at metal, but I haven’t been able to try them out. Some say the Rosson cans would be good for rock/metal, which is why they are on my radar

I'm using Mytek Brooklyn DAC+. Not exactly TT2, but both are flagship quality.

I have LCD2C and a friend has both HD800 and Empyrean.

To be honest, if you like guitars, there is no comparison, The RAD-0 is simply more musical and more just fluid with guitars. I love black as well, like Dimmu and Obscurcis Romancia, maybe a bit of Starkill as well, and the biggest difference you'll hear with RAD-0 vs Empyrean for example, is that Empy is more neutral, has less impact, is wider in the soundstage, but RAD-0 is much more musical, guitars are sweeter, have a sweeter tone, and are much more audible. They sound like freaking guitars. This RAD0 headphone is making me fall in love with music all over again, not just black and death, even pop and everything that has a guitar, it is simply so sweet and musical, I don't really have words for how awesome they are with playing guitars.

If you were into large soundstages, HD800 is much larger, think RAD-0 as being more forward, they aren't intimate, but they're forward, which is why they work so well with metal, rock and guitars in general.

LCD2C is much darker than RAD-0, and much much more dry, which doesn't work particularly well unless you apply EQ from Roon to LCD-2C.

In terms of resolution and detail, RAD-0 is up there with Empy and other flagships. Detail isn't necessarily the thing though, it is the detail in the midrange, you will hear voices and guitars much more clear and with better more natural tone, but without having all of it in your face, the midrange isn't that much more forward compared to Empy, but the way details are presented is much more crisp.

I think that RAD-0 is quite an excellent deal if you like a musical kind of sound.

HD800 is just hot in the treble, wide and kinda vague in direct comparison. HD800 feels way metallic in the treble if you place them side by side. I prefer the treble of Empyrean and He6SE, RAD-0 has a fatigue-free treble that doesn't have quite the bite of Empy and HE6SE, but I find myself grabbing RAD-0 more often when I want to hear some sweet guitars.

Jul 4, 2019 at 8:43 PM Post #71 of 1,038
I'm using Mytek Brooklyn DAC+. Not exactly TT2, but both are flagship quality.

I have LCD2C and a friend has both HD800 and Empyrean.

To be honest, if you like guitars, there is no comparison, The RAD-0 is simply more musical and more just fluid with guitars. I love black as well, like Dimmu and Obscurcis Romancia, maybe a bit of Starkill as well, and the biggest difference you'll hear with RAD-0 vs Empyrean for example, is that Empy is more neutral, has less impact, is wider in the soundstage, but RAD-0 is much more musical, guitars are sweeter, have a sweeter tone, and are much more audible. They sound like freaking guitars. This RAD0 headphone is making me fall in love with music all over again, not just black and death, even pop and everything that has a guitar, it is simply so sweet and musical, I don't really have words for how awesome they are with playing guitars.

If you were into large soundstages, HD800 is much larger, think RAD-0 as being more forward, they aren't intimate, but they're forward, which is why they work so well with metal, rock and guitars in general.

LCD2C is much darker than RAD-0, and much much more dry, which doesn't work particularly well unless you apply EQ from Roon to LCD-2C.

In terms of resolution and detail, RAD-0 is up there with Empy and other flagships. Detail isn't necessarily the thing though, it is the detail in the midrange, you will hear voices and guitars much more clear and with better more natural tone, but without having all of it in your face, the midrange isn't that much more forward compared to Empy, but the way details are presented is much more crisp.

I think that RAD-0 is quite an excellent deal if you like a musical kind of sound.

HD800 is just hot in the treble, wide and kinda vague in direct comparison. HD800 feels way metallic in the treble if you place them side by side. I prefer the treble of Empyrean and He6SE, RAD-0 has a fatigue-free treble that doesn't have quite the bite of Empy and HE6SE, but I find myself grabbing RAD-0 more often when I want to hear some sweet guitars.
NIce...thanks! The RAD-0 is definitely on my buy list now. I appreciate the comparisons

Jul 13, 2019 at 12:04 AM Post #73 of 1,038
Hey guys this is perhaps my 2nd favorite headphone I've tried over the years and all the CanJam / meets, behind only the HEDDphone One ( < review link) using a new emerging electrodynamic technology.
Here were my impressions from the SoCal CanJam 2019 impressions thread after trying the Rad-0 throughout the weekend:

Yup I put this one through the paces on about 6 different systems, and compared it to the Empyreans, which I think are somewhat comparable sonically.

Here was my review on page 4:
Humongous sooundstage, visceral feeling, intimacy / vibrancy... it's lush and you just can't even blush!!! Wonderfully balanced and very modestly dark leaning yet still wonderfully detailed and non-fatiguing, with fantastic transient response and overall coherence. Perfect 10/10 in my books!!!

Here's a quote from @XERO1 on this thread:
"Rossen RAD-0 ($2600) - Another great sounding (and looking) planar, it reminded me of an Audeze LCD-X on steroids. And like the LCD-X, it had a more intimate soundstage than most other open-backs but it had a nice density to its presentation that I found quite compelling."

Rad-0 from Rosson Audio:
This beauty of an open-back can is a new planar created by a former member of Audeze, and is able to produce absolutely exquisite sound, depending on source.

Amazing soundstage and sense of realism which to me were both better than Mr. Speakers Ether 2, which I compared back-to-back. Phenomenal bass (definition and extension), non fatiguing with a treble that is very modestly recessed but in just the right amount, giving a sound that is still detailed but never piercing - for a smooth, rich velvety and clean sound. Ethereal experience where elements of the recording whiz at you as if from a theatre speaker system, wonderfully balanced sound, superb detail.

Some of the rigs I tried it on:
Cutest Dac + Mscaler + GSX Mini
new Yggy + new Rangarok 2: both wonderful pairings
Euforia tube amp: underpowered
Quad PA One + amp: fantastic pairing
PrimaLuna 200: no synergy
Woo Audio WA33: excellent pairing

The Meze Empyreans have a similar transient response and sound signature and are easily driven on all amps I tried it with but perhaps a bit of bloom / slow decay on the lower frequencies, and the Rad-0 by contrast have a more perhaps upfront and velvety / taut sound with better controlled bass and less fatiguing. If I had one of the top amps listed above I would definitely go with the Rad-0 for an overall more exciting and coherent experience, otherwise I'd go with the Meze Empyreans as they're less picky on amp source.

The build is really special like a work of art with some sort of marble chrome finish, exuding a master-class studio or audiophile look. But the weight may be too much for some, heavier than the LCD-2 I believe. The Empyreans by contrast look akin to humongous black balloons when sitting on a medium size head like mine, so the Rad-0 does look better on the head perhaps, although heavier.

As usual the above is always IMO and YMMV, but personally I'm going more in the direction of the electrodynamics mentioned earlier. Both those and the Rad-0 have their place, so if I could I would have both.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2019 at 1:56 AM Post #74 of 1,038
Hey I'd just like to say though it's my #2 favorite headphone of all time I would love to own this baby someday because it's got a very distinctive and resolving way about it, able to reproduce with such aplomb finesse, giving a sound that could perhaps be described as rich, vibrant, velvety, hard hitting yet crisp... a moderately warm, seductive sound (provided synergy with amping) providing a very welcome contrast for any headphone collection

Jul 13, 2019 at 7:12 PM Post #75 of 1,038
I would be quite interested to see a comparison between this Rad-0 and the Kennerton Thror headphone. By memory from last year from trying the Kennerton Odin both seemed fairly comparable in terms of weight / size / price and even sonically, though the Rad-0 actually seemed more comfortable. Both are planar and the Thror has a wood cup, costing somewhat more. The reason for the Thror comparison would be because it is essentially the higher, better reviewed model from Kennerton.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back