Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
Jul 13, 2011 at 2:40 AM Post #556 of 3,339

Quote:

When you say "seen so far," do you mean actual pieces or photos/renderings?  I was in their dealer's showroom this past Saturday listening to a Lyr, and though I didn't run my fingers across its surface or make a detailed examination, it did not look especially rough-textured to me, at least not to the point where there would be crevices deep enough to hold dust.

(BTW, Jason, the fellow I spoke to - not the principal - said he'd love for you to call re the Bifrost.  But likely you've already communicated with someone there about it.)

Yeah, I mean actual pieces.  It's not a big deal, just something very minute that would personally prefer.  When I first received my Lyr and took it out of the packaging, they're was a fine layer of dust.  I grabbed a lint free cloth to wipe it off, and to wipe from side to side against the "crevices" was met with a good bit of resistance, whereas to go with them was of no challenge.  And you're right, you can't tell by look at all.  Maybe I'm the only one who's paid this any attention, or perhaps mine was an anomaly. 

Jul 13, 2011 at 2:55 AM Post #557 of 3,339
Try a feather duster next time. Seriously, one with real feathers is preferable.

Jul 13, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #561 of 3,339

Quote:
Yeah, I mean actual pieces.  It's not a big deal, just something very minute that would personally prefer.  When I first received my Lyr and took it out of the packaging, they're was a fine layer of dust.  I grabbed a lint free cloth to wipe it off, and to wipe from side to side against the "crevices" was met with a good bit of resistance, whereas to go with them was of no challenge.  And you're right, you can't tell by look at all.  Maybe I'm the only one who's paid this any attention, or perhaps mine was an anomaly. 

Until I looked through your gear photos and saw the Lyr was back home, I thought you were getting bothered about a little dust on the Lyr in Afghanistan!  I'm thinking wow, not a guy you would want to tick off!

Be home safe and soon and enjoyin' your Schiit, OK? 

Jul 13, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #563 of 3,339
Jason,

Regarding the USB sound quality/performance being better than SPDIF; would you elaborate what software was used during testing (Windows/Mac and what player)?  The Mac app "Audirvana" uses 'Integer mode' for compatible USB devices which bypasses several layers of Apple 'Core Audio' software in the OS and sends the data stream directly to the DAC.  It's had a very noticeable  effect (much better sound quality) on my nuForce uDac 2 and using a friend's HRT Music Streamer II+.  The app developer even has a whitepaper on the matter.

http://www.amr-audio.co.uk/large_image/MAC%20OSX%20audio%20players%20&%20Integer%20Mode.pdf 

Just curious if 'Integer Mode' was tested (don't know if there is something similar on the Windows platform) with Bifrost and what your thoughts were between Integer Mode USB and SPDIF; if SPDIF was still better.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Jul 13, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #564 of 3,339
Hehehe...

I think his answer will be something like:

"SPDIF is better, but our USB implementation is the best"

but... i'm curious if they know this integer-something-USB

The link for the same paper  without whitespaces is: http://goo.gl/Qpefs

Jul 13, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #565 of 3,339
Hey Jason, any chance the high-end unit will have ADC as well as DAC functionality?

Jul 13, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #566 of 3,339
Quote:
Hey Jason, any chance the high-end unit will have ADC as well as DAC functionality?

Maybe it can purify spoiled food and raise the dead too.

If I had to pick though, I'd ask for it to be an android in the shape a Valkyrie which could serenade me with Scandinavian black/death metal though...

Jul 13, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #567 of 3,339

Quote:
Ugh, this hobby just never stops making me spend money......now I have to buy a real feather duster. Ugh....:p

Didn't you know, a real feather duster will make it sound better too, have at it.
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back