Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
Jul 29, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #586 of 3,339

Quote:
Jason Stoddard jason@schiit.com

On top is fine--and we love Lyr with our T1s--but then again, we're biased!

Sent from my iPhone

> Hey,
>
> New audiophile here, was looking at your products for my first desktop system to pair with a Beyerdynamic T1.  Have limited space in my room so I was considering stacking the Lyr on top of the Bifrost (I understand the footprint is identical from the website).  Also hear the Lyr can run quite hot at times, do you think this would be of concern in stacking the two?  Also, any idea how the T1 would pair with the products?
>
> Cheers

Good to know :] I might buy big rubber feet to allow an air path to flow underneath the amp though 

Jul 30, 2011 at 3:46 AM Post #587 of 3,339
There won't be a problem underneath the Lyr unless the Bifrost runs warm as well, as heat rises upwards ^.

Jul 30, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #588 of 3,339
Don't worry about the Lyr running hot, that only happens when it's on. 
wink_face.gif

I plan to keep my Bifrost next to my Lyr, though I might look into some brass "footers" or "cones" to facilitate stacking. This would not only allow for some breathing space but also give an audiophile look to the whole thing.

Jul 31, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #589 of 3,339
I guess I can confirm that the Bifrost will, like the Lyr and Valhalla, use EI type transformers rather than toroidal or R-Core etc. - here's Jason's reply as to why:

Quote:
"Reed,

Yeah, transformers get down to more of a religious discussion sometimes, but, bottom line: why would you want a transformer that bleeds more high-frequency hash back onto the AC line (like a toroid or R-core) in a DAC?

EI's the way to go for power (or C-core.)

Toroid or R-core is the way to go for output coupling (for tube amps.)

That's how we see it.

Jason Stoddard
Co-Founder"

Sounds like sound reasoning to me.

Aug 2, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #590 of 3,339
Less than one month until the shipping of the Bifrost.  Yay!!

In anticipation of dressing up my Schiit rig I have ordered a silver USB cable with USB A and B ends as well as 8 anti vibration feet to get some air flow happening between the Bifrost and the Lyr...and to hopefully make it look even better.

Then once we have started to hear of the reviews of the Bifrost then it shouldnt be far off the mid tier Dac going on pre-order and then once that goes on delivery we should finally be close to the Statement amp and DAC going on pre-order.  It should surely be some interesting Schiit times coming up.

The title of this thread will need to be corrected too.  Unless we want to start a new thread for the Statement Amp and perhaps something else...but cant say about that....  :)

Aug 7, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #591 of 3,339
does anyone know when any sort of impressions or reviews of the bifrost might be coming out? im building my first quality audio system and i would love to preorder the bifrost but i'm worried it won't be a good match with the k-702's and in that case i'll order the matrix cube, thanks
smily_headphones1.gif
, by the way i'm new here as you guys may have noticed
redface.gif

Aug 7, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #592 of 3,339
Welcome! You're a bit early on Bifrost. I suspect it'll be another month or so before you're able to read reviews/impressions. I thing to keep in mind - Jason and Mike (co-founders) of Schiit use the K702 as one of the tubes they use to tune their amps - at least the ones that spec'd for cans such as the K702. I have some K702s and they sound really good with Asgard and Great with Lyr. I know one if their goals with Bifrost was transparency - so I fully expect it to be a good match.

Mike

Aug 8, 2011 at 2:37 AM Post #594 of 3,339

Quote:
Welcome! You're a bit early on Bifrost. I suspect it'll be another month or so before you're able to read reviews/impressions. I thing to keep in mind - Jason and Mike (co-founders) of Schiit use the K702 as one of the tubes they use to tune their amps - at least the ones that spec'd for cans such as the K702. I have some K702s and they sound really good with Asgard and Great with Lyr. I know one if their goals with Bifrost was transparency - so I fully expect it to be a good match.

Mike

thanks! sorry for the late reply i'm still figuring out how everything works, and well that's good to know because i've done an excessive amount of research for getting a system to compliment the 702's and didn't really want to go the tube route. Not sure why now that i think about it, oh well. The m stage is well regarded and im content, i just can't wait to have something better than my ipod for a source. i think i may just take the jump on the bifrost
L3000.gif

Quote:
-tubes +headphones  

Aug 8, 2011 at 3:25 AM Post #595 of 3,339
Schiit doesn't normally provide review samples until after release of the products. Well, at least I don't think that they have previously. There was some mention that Skylab would be getting a sample to check out this time around though.

If it is any help to you... I used to own some K702's and loved their detail. The only reason that I sold them was to chase a little more bottom end. I owned the matrix mini and preferred the Dacmagic over that slightly. It is my plan to upgrade from the dacmagic to the Bifrost.

I have never heard the Bifrost before and so it is a leap of faith based on Jason's reputation and of course Mikes too.

We won't know how wise this is until release date....

Aug 8, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #596 of 3,339
^  I will be looking into what skylab has to say when he gets the sample :). I got interested in the bifrost for their great reputation as well, I'm trying my best to get an absolutely bang for your buck system. From what I've read, schiit is good in terms of value and they have amazing customer support that i've witnessed from other threads where Jason comes in and really trys to help. so i'm pretty set on the bifrost especially after all the lurking I did and reading up on other products, i'm tired and sure that the Bifrost will do me good. And i'm also loving my k-702's
k701smile.gif
 but then again they were my first jump into hi-fi.

Aug 9, 2011 at 8:36 AM Post #597 of 3,339
I don't have a DAC or amp yet but I have been reading reviews on various amps, DACs for weeks now and in late September when I have some money, I will be buying my first DAC, the Bifrost, with USB input. It looks amazing and I really like the upgradable easy-ness.

Aug 9, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #598 of 3,339
I'm pretty happy with my setup, but becoming interested in upgrading my Gamma 1 DAC, and greatly looking forward to reviews on the Bifrost (and it's bigger brothers when they come out).  I try to keep myself from checking this thread too often as it makes the waiting seem longer, but I still seem to check in every few days and then look at the calendar again.  The clock ticks so slowly sometimes.

Aug 9, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #599 of 3,339
I am sure that there are many others that are being taught the virtues of patience by Schiit.  I tried to see if by buying a BIfrost if it would make the waoting any easier...but it didnt work.  
wink.gif

Hopefully now that the Bifrost is only 3 weeks from shipping, Jason may start to make public some of the design highlights of the middle dac... and maybe some others?  I am hoping that Jason has some details that can be released and would surely help  distract from the wait for a few days.....

Aug 10, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #600 of 3,339
The only thing stopping me from blindly ordering the Bifrost is the single RCA outputs. I wish it had two sets so I could output to the Lyr and my powered speakers separately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back