Schiit Hits the Fan! Valhalla 2, Lyr 2 announced, Wyrd and Mani Previewed.
May 31, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #16 of 224
w00t! I can finally talk about these!

I did the photography for Lyr2 and Valhalla2 and took the time to listen briefly to Lyr2 with my LCD-X's. I mentioned in my review if the X's that I didn't think there was great synergy with Lyr, well Lyr2 is a huge improvement. Gone is the overly warm think midrange, replaced my a much more natural and neutral sound with an ease and air that bely the price.

Can't want to get my hands on Wyrd and Mani in the coming months to both shoot and hear!

Kudos to Jason, Mike and the Schiit family!

May 31, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #18 of 224
It sounds like there will be a bigger version which could support balanced. Note Jason says 'first phono preamp'.

Jun 1, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #19 of 224
Count me as one of the first-in-line for Wyrd.

Schiit continues to surprise and amaze me with their ability to adeptly know their particular audience, and, in this case, their potential audience. Head-Fi'ers and other Schiit Heads are not particularly cable/tweak/power conditioning friendly typically (that is to say, they're a bit hostile), so to come out with a product like this without any mumbo jumbo and no claim to sonics is just fantastic from a marketing perspective.

But I, and I suspect, other more, erm, 'open-minded' Schitt heads will see this for what it really is: the first true (half as expensive!) competitor to iFi's very popular iUSB. I, for one, appreciate the opportunity, having messed around with ADuM4160-based USB isolators (to good effect) in the past, but having found them incompatible with newer DACs such as the Bifrost, to 'clean up' my USB. Given how much the 'audiophile' USB cable market has blown up, as well as the extreme focus on USB implementations in DACs lately, this is just incredibly savvy. Non-Schiit Heads (and some Schiit Heads, for the practical reasons listed as well as 'non-practical' ones) will latch onto this, for a mere hundred USD, like flies on... well, (beats dead horse).

(disclaimer: if anyone feels like asking me for 'double blind' evidence of my experience with ADuM4160 isolators or some such, please don't bother...) 

Also, Jason, any pics for the Wyrd and the other products?

Jun 1, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #22 of 224
  I just wish Schiit stuff was available in the UK at a decent price. The UK distributers price them at the same number of pounds as they are priced in dollars in the US. That's a 70% mark-up at today's rates.

Ahhh, Rip-Off Britain at its best...Why don't you just order directly from Schiit? Even accounting for Shipping and Customs Fees, you will still save money! Alternatively, you can buy from Audiophonics.fr. Still cheaper than UK pricing and no problems with communication. They master the English language quite adequately...

Jun 1, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #23 of 224

Ahhh, Rip-Off Britain at its best...Why don't you just order directly from Schiit? Even accounting for Shipping and Customs Fees, you will still save money! Alternatively, you can buy from Audiophonics.fr. Still cheaper than UK pricing and no problems with communication. They master the English language quite adequately...

This is what put me off ordering direct - from the FAQ:

"Do you ship outside the United States?
Are you in a country that isn’t listed above? You got money? Sure, you bet.

Hey, I’m in one of the countries above, but I found a retailer carrying your products who isn’t on the list. Is it a good idea to buy from them?
Only if you don’t want a warranty. Our distributors set warranty terms for their countries, and will not support products they didn’t sell. Nor will we support this “gray market” gear, either. You should purchase from our authorized distributor, or (if there is none in your country) from us. Anything else is a gamble."

Seems to imply that if you are in the UK they wouldn't ship. If I hadn't found an alternative I would have gone ahead and tried anyway but I wouldn't have tried to find an alternative if that FAQ answer hadn't been there...

But audiophonics looks good. I can see a few orders going their way from me. Are you on commission? 
wink.gif

Jun 1, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #25 of 224
I don't see what is said there that would put you off from ordering direct?

I am in a country "listed above". The answers suggest, moderately strongly, that they don't ship to those countries. It also pretty categorically states that I wouldn't get warrantee support. As I said, I would have gone ahead, but I found an alternative product where the pricing was better (because it was priced in USD), and there were no uncertainties in how to order. When I was weighing the pros and cons, it was very, very close. Without this entry in the FAQ, or with a better price in the UK, I would have probably gone ahead with the Schiit. It didn't prevent me from ordering on it's own, it was just the little difference in the end which made the decision go the other way.

Just to be clear, when I said "put me off" I meant that it made me "slightly less willing" not that it stopped me from doing it all together.

Jun 1, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #26 of 224
  But audiophonics looks good. I can see a few orders going their way from me. Are you on commission? 
wink.gif

bigsmile_face.gif
 Ha ha! No, not at all. I have purchased from them in past and I was overall very pleased with their service. Although I wouldn't mind getting a little reward from them for my efforts spreading the word! 
wink.gif

Best,

Leonel

Jun 1, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #27 of 224
Audiophonics told me they don't sell cheapest schiit products anymore. That's why you don't see the Vali on their site for example.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back