Schiit Hits the Fan! Valhalla 2, Lyr 2 announced, Wyrd and Mani Previewed.
Jun 2, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #46 of 224

ADuM4160 does not work at USB 2.0 high speed (480Mbps), I'm afraid, so that leaves out anything above 24/96.

Yes, but for those who don't need greater than 24/96....

Last I checked Analog Devices had no plans to make a chip with greater bandwidth, but the concept wasn't intended for audio purposes and medical applications apparently don't need more.

Jun 3, 2014 at 2:26 AM Post #50 of 224
I'm sorry...

When it comes to puns, I just can't help it.

So, the truth is that the answer to the get a better source light is just Wyrd?

Sorry..Baz

Jun 3, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #52 of 224
+1 Valhalla owner interested in knowing if there's a noticeable sound improvement in version 2 (or if anyone can point me to a comparison thread I might have missed, I'd appreciate it).

Jun 3, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #53 of 224
Reading the specs page, Lyr 2 actually has an output impedance of 0.3 ohms, would this make it an even better potential mate for IEM's than Valhalla 2?

Also, how much do the tubes color the sound? One big appeal of solid-state IMO is the lack of tube sound coloring, a more neutral and reference sound signature, which is why I've been eyeing the Asgard 2 (output impedance is listed only as 'less than 2 ohms')

Jun 3, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #54 of 224
As I see it  on the Lyr the V2 the biggest improvements would be with very sensitive IEM's You gain roughly about 6db better S/N and a gain switch so that you would have more range with the volume control if using very sensitive  headphones or IEM's.  With more standard headphones it is hard to say. We have to wait for more reviews. I believe that with the Valhalla 2 it is a bit different. But both amps version 2 increases the range of headphones that will be compatible with the Lyr and the Valhalla. My quess with the Valhalla is that it will sound better and a bit stronger with headphones with low impedance.

Jun 3, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #55 of 224
  Also, how much do the tubes color the sound? One big appeal of solid-state IMO is the lack of tube sound coloring, a more neutral and reference sound signature, which is why I've been eyeing the Asgard 2 (output impedance is listed only as 'less than 2 ohms')

Just looking at the THD and FR specs of either Valhalla 2 or Lyr 2, I doubt you will be able to hear any tubes "coloring".
So it all boils down to power requirements.. The rest is up to personal beliefs. 
rolleyes.gif

Jun 3, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #56 of 224
The Wyrd looks interesting, especially for the price. I'm skeptical there would be any sound difference and think I even heard Jason once say there is a lot of BS with regards to USB cables changing sound, etc. But will be interesting if it improves sonics at all. 

Jun 3, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #57 of 224
If it can remove USB power background noise and any noise that is transmitted downstream from your computer through USB, it's great in my book.

Jun 3, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #58 of 224
  If it can remove USB power background noise and any noise that is transmitted downstream from your computer through USB, it's great in my book.

I think any good USB module in a DAC already does that. 

Jun 3, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #59 of 224
Seems some of the lessons learned in making the Ragnarok friendly to all comers has trickled down to the Valhalla and Lyr before Rag has even been released.

Jun 3, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #60 of 224
Reading the specs page, Lyr 2 actually has an output impedance of 0.3 ohms, would this make it an even better potential mate for IEM's than Valhalla 2?

All things mechanical have the potential to "color the sound". It depends on how they are utilized in building the component in question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back