Schiit Midgard - Impressions Thread
Jan 16, 2024 at 10:05 PM Post #511 of 597
I haven’t heard the Magnius in a long time. I still think Midgard is the current best amp for 200-250 USD in terms of overall sound

Jan 20, 2024 at 1:37 AM Post #512 of 597

Attachments

• IMG_1283.jpeg
    IMG_1283.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Jan 21, 2024 at 1:20 AM Post #513 of 597
Midgard’s Halo output just delivers ridiculous level of resolution and refinement in sound for the price for both Verite Closed and the HD800S!IMG_9123.jpeg
IMG_9111.jpeg

Jan 23, 2024 at 8:56 AM Post #516 of 597
Well, I've been out of the headphone game for a while. Ended up selling my Jot 2 and Bifrost 2 and HD800s for reasons around 2 years ago. Lately I've been making music and had a pair of Beyerdynamic 990s plugged into my keyboard. I wanted to get a small set up by my recliner so I could mix more comfortably and ended up grabbing a Magni/Modi+ thinking it'd be great. I was right, and made the mistake of listening to my usual music and I've forgotten how absolutely amazing a nice headphone set up sounds. I never had a beyerdynamic headphone with my last set up and am massively impressed. Aaaand now I have a Midgard on the way. Oops

So, I need you all to talk me out of upgrading the Modi to a Modius. I say that because I know I want the Bifrost 2 again but don't want to spend that money right now. I love a holographic soundstage more than anything and the soundstage/layering of the Midgard is why I went that route. I'm not missing much going from Modi to Modius and should just wait it out for the Bifrost 2... Right?

Anyway, I think my current "end game" is leaning towards the Midgard, Bifrost 2 and a headphone jump to the DT 1990s. I chased the dragon enough last time and I know what I'm shooting for this time around. I'm perfectly satisfied with the detail and clarity I just want to expand that soundstage. The Bifrost 2 is going to give me a bit of warmth and fullness, the Midgard and 1990s are neutral and detailed. I think it'll be a great combo for mixing and enjoying some music

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2024 at 10:30 AM Post #517 of 597
Well, I've been out of the headphone game for a while. Ended up selling my Jot 2 and Bifrost 2 and HD800s for reasons around 2 years ago. Lately I've been making music and had a pair of Beyerdynamic 990s plugged into my keyboard. I wanted to get a small set up by my recliner so I could mix more comfortably and ended up grabbing a Magni/Modi+ thinking it'd be great. I was right, and made the mistake of listening to my usual music and I've forgotten how absolutely amazing a nice headphone set up sounds. I never had a beyerdynamic headphone with my last set up and am massively impressed. Aaaand now I have a Midgard on the way. Oops

So, I need you all to talk me out of upgrading the Modi to a Modius. I say that because I know I want the Bifrost 2 again but don't want to spend that money right now. I love a holographic soundstage more than anything and the soundstage/layering of the Midgard is why I went that route. I'm not missing much going from Modi to Modius and should just wait it out for the Bifrost 2... Right?

Anyway, I think my current "end game" is leaning towards the Midgard, Bifrost 2 and a headphone jump to the DT 1990s. I chased the dragon enough last time and I know what I'm shooting for this time around. I'm perfectly satisfied with the detail and clarity I just want to expand that soundstage. The Bifrost 2 is going to give me a bit of warmth and fullness, the Midgard and 1990s are neutral and detailed. I think it'll be a great combo for mixing and enjoying some music
I was really impressed with Midgard + Modius (E). I don't know how it would compare with the Bifrost as I've never heard it. The only niggling problem with the Modius was the USB implementation which sometimes was cantankerous when I was using Audirvana. But once everything settled, it was fine...just had issues when powering up Audirvana and settling on with Modius. The sound quality was very good and punched way above its asking price. But then again, everything is getting better, and some some things are getting more expensive; and sometimes not better at higher asking prices!
So bottom line for me: sounds really great, did not cost a lot of $$, minor USB issues (but not a deal killer).
I look forward to seeing comments on comparisons between the Modius (E) and Bifrost.
And of course, Just One Opinion (JOO).

Jan 23, 2024 at 8:08 PM Post #518 of 597
I wonder if anyone has some alternative recommendations to the Modius around the same price? I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger but researching options doesn't hurt

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2024 at 9:03 PM Post #519 of 597
I wonder if anyone has some alternative recommendations to the Modius around the same price? I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger but researching options doesn't hurt
I use the RME-ADi 2 dac FS s my main dac. It has features I need. The Modiu (e) as a dac only was as good sound wise as the RmE. A little different but no better no worse. It’s gonna be hard to beat for the price.

Jan 23, 2024 at 9:09 PM Post #520 of 597
Modius or Modi-Multibit 2

Jan 23, 2024 at 9:21 PM Post #521 of 597
Modius or Modi-Multibit 2
Thanks, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Modius. It'll pair well with the Midgard balanced and I'm thinking I'll be happy with the set up.

Jan 24, 2024 at 1:00 AM Post #522 of 597
I don't think you'll be disappointed! I really love my Modius/Midgard stack. Its nice they are the same form factor and both have the XLRs. Please let us know what you think once it arrives. :wink:

Jan 24, 2024 at 1:20 AM Post #523 of 597
I don't think you'll be disappointed! I really love my Modius/Midgard stack. Its nice they are the same form factor and both have the XLRs. Please let us know what you think once it arrives. :wink:
Will do! I'll be comparing the Magni+/Modi+ with Midgard/Modi+ and finally Midgard/Modius E at the end of this week 😁

Jan 24, 2024 at 1:23 AM Post #524 of 597
If you guys are curious with one man's opinion of my Bifrost 2 OG and Midgard stack against TOTL portable DAPs (costing north of 3K and up!), you're getting ridiculous Bang for Buck performance with the addition of ability to drive non electrostatic headphones except for Modhouse Tungsten (SS and DS)

One last sound thing. I'd heard that some IEMs scale well with power to the level of desktop gear and I sought to test that. I hooked up my bravados using the Code 24 (non C) to the Schiit Midgard/Bifrost 2 stack and was somewhat blown away. This made even the Shanling M9+ sound mildly underpowered in controlling both the DD Bass and estat treble drivers. The technicals were also right up there with the flagship players, though I'd need a lot more listening to clearly place it above or below. On both the headphones and IEMs I tried on the midgard it gave a sense of solidity/tactility in the treble that I haven't heard in the same way anywhere else. Definitely going to be thinking about buying some desktop gear to use my IEMs with at my desk in the future. I guess my idea of building a very low gain speaker amp for IEMs isn't that stupid of an idea if the scaling continues up even a little :p.

Jan 24, 2024 at 2:39 AM Post #525 of 597
Will do! I'll be comparing the Magni+/Modi+ with Midgard/Modi+ and finally Midgard/Modius E at the end of this week 😁
Awesome! I'm curious about that comparison. I nearly bought the Magni+/Modi+ instead of the Midgard/Modius E stack. Very happy with where I landed, but would love to hear a comparison none the less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back