Schiit Midgard - Impressions Thread
Jan 27, 2024 at 7:57 PM Post #541 of 591
The Modius E has arrived and pairs with the Midgard beautifully. Most consumer models of headphones and how people tend to just listen to music is BASS with very little of anything else. No dynamics, in your head staging and next to no imaging. All the sounds blend together.

You take something like the Magni/Modi and add the DT 990 pro in there and you have yourself a fine taste of what audio can sound like. You have details, slam in the bass, details are clear and sparkly. It's incredible and already beats out 99% of consumer headphones out there. With the Midgard introduced I noticed a wider sound, imaging was even better with every instrument and sound having its own little zone so to speak. The bass hit harder, felt more substantial and thicker without muddying up the whole mix. Really great but I knew things could get better.

Now with the Modius you're really seeing some synergy here. I can liken the music with the Modi to a linear line that you hear from the center of your head, from the left to the right. While it was now wider and fuller, you're still listening to a flat 2D image. The Modius comes in and not only does it even farther enhance the staging and imaging but the sound is now FULL. That 2D image has now turned 3D. It's once again a very similar story to what I perceived when I first introduced the Bifrost 2 to the Jot 2. I really wish I had that set up next to this one so I could see just how close it is. I'm noticing farther dynamics and sound as well. While the Magni/Modi stack had detail and such, most sounds were close to volume and everything kinda sounded the same. The Modius really changed the dynamics up, with things sounding more quiet and farther away while still being distinguishable from the rest.

I'd say the Magni/Modi is a great starting point but just spend the extra money to get the Midgard and Modius. My next upgrades would likely be the Bifrost 2/64 and I've always heard great things about the Burson Soloist 3XP so that's looking to be my next step up. However with this setup currently I have very little desire to spend that money right now. Now that I have my Amp/DAC to a point I'm quite satisfied with I'm just waiting for my DT 1990s to arrive on tuesday.
Now try HALO and the soundstage deepens. Enjoy!

Jan 27, 2024 at 7:59 PM Post #542 of 591
Now try HALO and the soundstage deepens. Enjoy!
I can't, I don't have any XLR capable headphones lol

I'll grab a pair someday

Jan 27, 2024 at 8:12 PM Post #543 of 591

I'll grab a pair someday
It’s not a huge improvement, but it certainly showcases how good the Midgard can be!
Now that I use the NDh-30 headphones, I cannot go backwards; now that I have sampled HALO, I won’t go backwards.
PS: for what it’s worth, I thought Modius E sounded great with Midgard.

Jan 27, 2024 at 10:53 PM Post #544 of 591

I'll grab a pair someday
I think it requires a mod, but I believe the DT 1990 can be converted to balanced. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Jan 28, 2024 at 12:44 AM Post #545 of 591
I think it requires a mod, but I believe the DT 1990 can be converted to balanced. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Yea, I've found people who'll do it for you. I've also looked at doing it myself but I'm not great at soldering and don't care to put the effort into it honestly. So we'll see, I'll be surprised if I don't buy a pair that's capable lol

Jan 28, 2024 at 6:56 AM Post #547 of 591
Man I've put a good 5 or 6 hours of music in today, Midgard/Modius is absolutely incredible and I have to give props to the DT 990s as well. The staging is really airy and open, imaging is great, details fantastic. I've been running through some video game soundtracks on Deezer with tons of layered instruments. I better be blown away by the 1990s cuz the 990s are really doing it for me

Jan 28, 2024 at 7:24 AM Post #548 of 591
Man I've put a good 5 or 6 hours of music in today, Midgard/Modius is absolutely incredible and I have to give props to the DT 990s as well. The staging is really airy and open, imaging is great, details fantastic. I've been running through some video game soundtracks on Deezer with tons of layered instruments. I better be blown away by the 1990s cuz the 990s are really doing it for me
I envy you, I bought the DT990 Pro 250Ohm and was blown away at how boring they were :frowning2: cant imagine the 1990 any worse though. I really wish I could enjoy from them as much as some people are..

people have to stop glorifying mid-fi studio monitors, they're great for what they should do, i would use them as a de-essing if i was mastering, but damn they sound boring.

i am however a convicnted basshead who loves his fostex tr-x00 and his sony m1-zr or whatever its spelled.

Jan 28, 2024 at 7:34 AM Post #549 of 591
I envy you, I bought the DT990 Pro 250Ohm and was blown away at how boring they were :frowning2: cant imagine the 1990 any worse though. I really wish I could enjoy from them as much as some people are..

people have to stop glorifying mid-fi studio monitors, they're great for what they should do, i would use them as a de-essing if i was mastering, but damn they sound boring.

i am however a convicnted basshead who loves his fostex tr-x00 and his sony m1-zr or whatever its spelled.
I really enjoy a nice V tuning and the 990s nail it. They're also super cheap and imo punch way above their price bracket. I've also yet to find a music genre it's unable to sound good with. I feel the same way about most Sennheiser cans they all bore me to death, though I hear the 600 series is best bang for buck

Jan 28, 2024 at 9:26 AM Post #550 of 591
I really enjoy a nice V tuning and the 990s nail it. They're also super cheap and imo punch way above their price bracket. I've also yet to find a music genre it's unable to sound good with. I feel the same way about most Sennheiser cans they all bore me to death, though I hear the 600 series is best bang for buck
different ears different opinions i guess :) i AM happy for you that you like'em, i just dont know about that V tuning. have you heared other V shaped earphones for referrence? because i am a V/U guy in heart and soul - and our definitions seem to vary greatly

Feb 8, 2024 at 7:11 PM Post #551 of 591
So I don't think my Halo XLR output is working? I plugged in my Amiron with my Audiophile ninja cable, at first I thought it didn't seat right so I got some 3.5mm adapters. I plug in the headphones and if I turn the volume all the way up I can HEAR music coming from the port but it's nearly whisper quiet. This is with or without the adapters. I don't have another XLR cable to test out but this one was working just fine when I was using it with my Jot 2 and Aryas. It's just been coiled up neatly since then

I've got a Lyr+ on the way so I'll wait until I get that but I might have to ask them to repair this one

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2024 at 8:52 PM Post #552 of 591
So I don't think my Halo XLR output is working? I plugged in my Amiron with my Audiophile ninja cable, at first I thought it didn't seat right so I got some 3.5mm adapters. I plug in the headphones and if I turn the volume all the way up I can HEAR music coming from the port but it's nearly whisper quiet. This is with or without the adapters. I don't have another XLR cable to test out but this one was working just fine when I was using it with my Jot 2 and Aryas. It's just been coiled up neatly since then

I've got a Lyr+ on the way so I'll wait until I get that but I might have to ask them to repair this one
As a newbie I had to double check what that XLR connector was all about. It is a 4 pin XLR connector and I had to double check all that when I ordered my balanced cable for my Neumann headphones. So my query is this: do you have a 4 pin XLR cable? I know, newbie question, at least for me.

Feb 8, 2024 at 9:54 PM Post #553 of 591
As a newbie I had to double check what that XLR connector was all about. It is a 4 pin XLR connector and I had to double check all that when I ordered my balanced cable for my Neumann headphones. So my query is this: do you have a 4 pin XLR cable? I know, newbie question, at least for me.
Lol yes, it's a 4 pin xlr

Feb 13, 2024 at 11:31 PM Post #555 of 591
After reading this thread, I'm very curious about the Midgards HALO tech at this point. I'm thinking of using my Hifiman EF400 for DAC duty and hook up to the Midgard using the balanced connections. Thinking that might have some serious synergy with the Himalaya R2R DAC onboard. I think my only other option for balanced would be the DAC built into my Monoprice THX 788 all in one which uses AK based dac chips. My Schiit MMB2 sounds pretty promising as well.

My biggest question, has anybody tried IEMs yet with HALO, do IEMs work well with Halo? Most of my cables are all balanced and I can do a XLR to 4.4 adapter which is pretty much what I have to do with some of my other amps that lack 4.4mm. I am also wondering about AMT headphones and if anybody has tried those?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back