Schiit Valhalla Tube Rolling thread.
Nov 6, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #2,671 of 2,717
You're not going to see (hear) much difference if you try rolling the 6n6p power tubes. It would be best to stick with them. You can get them directly from Schiit if you want to get them now. The preamp 6n1p tubes are the ones that make the difference. You do want to get matched pairs of either one though.

I know that, but also its the rear 6N6Ps that are the ones that are causing the static Im pretty sure. I was curious that if there may be some different 6N6Ps that may have a bit thicker pins to have a tighter fit and not wobble so much like the current ones I have do.

I guess when I was asking what are some reasonably priced good sounding ones I was referring to the front 6P1Ps specifically. I guess I wasn't that clear.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #2,672 of 2,717
I know that, but also its the rear 6N6Ps that are the ones that are causing the static Im pretty sure. I was curious that if there may be some different 6N6Ps that may have a bit thicker pins to have a tighter fit and not wobble so much like the current ones I have do.

I guess when I was asking what are some reasonably priced good sounding ones I was referring to the front 6P1Ps specifically. I guess I wasn't that clear.
Diameter of pins (contacts) for all!!! 6N6P of any modification is the same! (0.8 mm)
You have a problem (most likely) with tube sockets, the contacts of which may become deformed and even become dirty over time
These are where 95% of the faults occur. Alternatively, you can buy savers with a larger contact diameter (1mm instead of 0.8)
It's easier than cleaning or changing tubes sockets! Just don’t try to mechanically bend the contacts of the socket- it will be even worse!

Nov 6, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #2,673 of 2,717
Th

There were different 6N6P factories. See this post from the thread:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-valhalla-tube-rolling-thread.619910/page-173#post-17555510

I found the early 60s Fotons to sound better than the later versions. Didn't notice if the pins were thicker.

If the 6N6Ps are wobbling in you amp, it could be the cause of the static. May want to tighten the sockets. Here's a tad fastidious how-to: https://toptubeamplifier.com/tightening-tube-sockets/

I just skip the boring steps and use a small flat blade screwdriver to push the back on the endless hours of tube rolling :sweat_smile:

Also... @Novik tube's advise is better than mine.

Nov 7, 2023 at 7:47 AM Post #2,674 of 2,717
I swapped the side of the tubes to validate that's its one of the tube causing static and they seem to fit better that way sot I think agian its the tube not the socket.

Let me address the wobble too, they weren't loose, just I could move them more easily and more that I thought I should be able to compare the the front tubes.

Th

There were different 6N6P factories. See this post from the thread:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-valhalla-tube-rolling-thread.619910/page-173#post-17555510

I found the early 60s Fotons to sound better than the later versions. Didn't notice if the pins were thicker.

If the 6N6Ps are wobbling in you amp, it could be the cause of the static. May want to tighten the sockets. Here's a tad fastidious how-to: https://toptubeamplifier.com/tightening-tube-sockets/

I just skip the boring steps and use a small flat blade screwdriver to push the back on the endless hours of tube rolling :sweat_smile:

Also... @Novik tube's advise is better than mine.

I was always told the 6N6Ps never made much of a difference in sound so, I just got what I think are basically NOS stock replacements.

These, not sure what they are beyond 6N6Ps but Im sue theyre probably just Novosibirsks:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/153846520400

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2023 at 11:03 AM Post #2,675 of 2,717
Hi everyone!
There is an offer for the sale of such an amplifier!
Can someone help me with the serial number?
What is this version 1 and 2 of Vallhala
WhatsApp Image 2023-12-07 at 18.52.17.jpeg

Dec 7, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #2,676 of 2,717
Hi everyone!
There is an offer for the sale of such an amplifier!
Can someone help me with the serial number?
What is this version 1 and 2 of Vallhala
WhatsApp Image 2023-12-07 at 18.52.17.jpeg

SCH02B 00XXXX is the format for my V1 fwiw

Dec 25, 2023 at 10:01 PM Post #2,678 of 2,717
Well, just ordered one of these to replace my ZDT Jr, looking forward to checking it out! Not that there is anything wrong with the ZDT Jr, I have just realized recently that I enjoy the sound from my small Schiit stack better than the ZDT setup, so thought I would give one of the midsized Schiit stacks a whirl as well (ordered a Modius as well, and swapping the BluDento BT receiver for a Wiim Mini to do Tidal Connect via Toslink).

Since this is a tube rolling thread, started down that path already as well (some of y'all know me from the Vali rolling thread, I have a tendency to stock up on whatever tubes are new to me at the time.... lol) and picked up a couple pairs of "Gold Grid 6N6P", a pair each of RCA & GE 6922's.

Dec 27, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #2,679 of 2,717
OK, just checking in here. I ordered and received my VHII in the middle of a loooonnnggg house move. I am just getting set up and bookmarking this thread for future reference. Stock tubes for now until after the New Year. (BTW I did have a Vali 2 in 2017 and really enjoyed it, and was smart enough to save all the tubes I rolled with it.)

schiit_towwer20231227_145152.jpg

Jan 1, 2024 at 7:14 PM Post #2,681 of 2,717
Hofy,

Some words of advice, your Valhalla 2 runs HOT, and needs the side vents for cooling. IMO, you should place your VH2 on top to your equipment cabinet. The cooling effect will help extend the life of your vacuum tubes.

Jan 1, 2024 at 7:21 PM Post #2,682 of 2,717
To Hofy: I would also use nine-pin ‘socket savers’ / ‘tube risers’ on all four tubes.
185D28C0-601D-49D2-AC97-8612A77E5D0F.jpeg
These will elevate the tubes which will allow for greater heat dissipation all around.

Jan 2, 2024 at 12:38 AM Post #2,683 of 2,717
To Hofy: I would also use nine-pin ‘socket savers’ / ‘tube risers’ on all four tubes. 185D28C0-601D-49D2-AC97-8612A77E5D0F.jpegThese will elevate the tubes which will allow for greater heat dissipation all around.

Just out of curiosity, do these make the tubes look goofy tall?

Jan 2, 2024 at 12:59 AM Post #2,684 of 2,717
Just out of curiosity, do these make the tubes look goofy tall?
Not ‘goofy’ to me. The 6N6Ps in back will still be taller than the 6N1Ps / 6922s in front. Raising the tubes, plus using taller rubber feet such as these
281E98BC-EF19-441B-A693-FBF2676F6BD9.jpeg
in lieu of the ‘stock’ feet will cause Valhalla 2 to run far less warmly. The amplifier body will be more effectively air-cooled.

Jan 2, 2024 at 1:05 AM Post #2,685 of 2,717
Not ‘goofy’ to me. The 6N6Ps in back will still be taller than the 6N1Ps / 6922s in front. Raising the tubes, plus using taller rubber feet such as these in lieu of the ‘stock’ feet will cause Valhalla 2 to run far less warmly. The amplifier body will be more effectively air-cooled.

I was already thinking about doing taller feet on each piece in my stack at the cabin, but then with the socket extenders, I need to make sure I'm not too tall to start crowding the tubes at the top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back