Schiit Valhalla Tube Rolling thread.
Jan 2, 2024 at 1:19 AM Post #2,686 of 2,717
Here is a picture, from two years ago, of my Valhalla 2 with socket savers under the four tubes:
ACC3A485-28ED-45A6-862E-BE7AD4810FD4.jpeg

Jan 2, 2024 at 5:12 AM Post #2,687 of 2,717
So if no one is making tubes anymore and the current stock are old stock, what happens to all the tube Amps when old stock runs out? Is there someone making these tubes again now that tube amps became more popular?

Jan 2, 2024 at 7:01 AM Post #2,688 of 2,717
So if no one is making tubes anymore and the current stock are old stock, what happens to all the tube Amps when old stock runs out? Is there someone making these tubes again now that tube amps became more popular?
I think there is trend starting to make new Tubes the most prominent example is know of i Apos https://apos.audio/products/apos-ray-tube-12au7 They Making a 12au7 an a 300b so far

Jan 2, 2024 at 7:56 AM Post #2,689 of 2,717
There are manufacturers making brand new tubes, including (off the top of my head): Shuguang, Psvane, Linlai, New Sensor (Tung-Sol brand), Sovtek, Svetlana, JJ, Electro Harmonix. I probably missed more than a few. Unless you need some very specific rare old tube you’re basically covered.

Jan 2, 2024 at 8:03 PM Post #2,690 of 2,717
Hofy,

Some words of advice, your Valhalla 2 runs HOT, and needs the side vents for cooling. IMO, you should place your VH2 on top to your equipment cabinet. The cooling effect will help extend the life of your vacuum tubes.
Yes, moved to the top until the new cabinet is built. The pic I posted was just to see how everything fits. I also bought some half inch aluminum feet for everything to get more under them too.

Jan 2, 2024 at 8:04 PM Post #2,691 of 2,717
To Hofy: I would also use nine-pin ‘socket savers’ / ‘tube risers’ on all four tubes. 185D28C0-601D-49D2-AC97-8612A77E5D0F.jpegThese will elevate the tubes which will allow for greater heat dissipation all around.
They are already installed, you just can not see them in the pic.

Jan 3, 2024 at 10:48 PM Post #2,692 of 2,717
Hey all, I think I have read most of this thread and I am surprised that there is NO direct replacement for the 6N6P, am I reading that right? I know that the power tubes have less affect on the sound, but I think this is the first one I have come across that has no equivalents.

Crazy how many sellers are saying a ECC99's cross when what I am reading here, is that they wont.

Jan 26, 2024 at 8:29 AM Post #2,693 of 2,717
Feb 8, 2024 at 6:02 PM Post #2,694 of 2,717
Hey! any input is greatly appreciated regarding this idea for upgrading :L3000: (thread looks kinda dead)

Simple:
Input -> Genalex Gold Lion 6922
Output -> EH 12BH7 or JJ ECC99

Difficult:
Input -> 6992 to 6SN7 Adapter -> Apos 6SN7
Output -> See Above

Feb 22, 2024 at 8:34 AM Post #2,695 of 2,717
I am searching for Tubes that sound like the Stock tubes with a Bit more low end ! You guys got any direction to look in ?
Thanks in advance.

Feb 22, 2024 at 9:38 AM Post #2,696 of 2,717
I am searching for Tubes that sound like the Stock tubes with a Bit more low end ! You guys got any direction to look in ?
Thanks in advance.
I'm liking the Siemens E88CC. I think they give the low end a bit of a punchy boost and still maintain good clarity in the upper ranges.
tubes.jpg

Feb 22, 2024 at 11:04 AM Post #2,697 of 2,717
I'm liking the Siemens E88CC. I think they give the low end a bit of a punchy boost and still maintain good clarity in the upper ranges.
tubes.jpg
Thanks i ordered a pair !

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240222-170316.png
    Screenshot_20240222-170316.png
    341.1 KB · Views: 0
Mar 1, 2024 at 7:43 AM Post #2,698 of 2,717
In the search for right tube i had kind of a Lucky find i guess out of a "why not" mood i ordered a pair of this its the self branded tube of a German Tube shop, no idee from which factory this tube is BUT : After Spending 2 Weeks with daily sessions with them i am very impressed here are some impressions:

Low End:
Perfect Amount and good extension Tight clear detailed... no quirks or unique things i notice just good sounds like a SS with a slight bass boost.
Mids:
its all there ... angain clean detailed slight warm tilt but the perfect amount ... I like again sounds like a SS a bit because of how clean everthing is.
Highs:
Slighlty rolled of but not dark there is sparkle an ZING when needed again cleeeeaaaan but "nice" with just the slightest hint of tupe Flavour.
Soundstage:
A Little Wider than Stock tubes but nothing to write home about it is fine .
Details.:
The most resolving tube i tried so far it is all there and more...

Conclusion:This is an inexpensive Tube that makes everthing right and leans more to linearity so if you want to give your Valhalla a push in the direction of an SS amp i can recommend the TAD 12au7 they also sell a 6922 Variant i will try in the next weeks.

Mar 8, 2024 at 9:37 PM Post #2,699 of 2,717
Bit of necroposting here, but it's right on topic for the thread so I'm gonna dig this up instead of starting a new one.

I bit on Valhalla 2 at the end-of-life sale and have it here happily playing along on the stock tubes. It sounds nice, and I can tell the difference between it and Jotunheim 2.

I'm new to tube rolling - I get the basics, that I can "roll" any tube of the same type or equivalents. The manual specifies several possible equivalents, and the forums have found several others that work with adapters. Understand all that. I also understand that the tube manufacturer and even the production run can make for a different sound - the prior more than the latter, I'd assume.

Can one of you experts here, who've tried dozens of different tubes, suggest a set for me that will give me a very "tubey" colored sound? I want a casual listener to think, "Oooo, tubes." when they hear the amp, not just someone with golden ears. I'm hoping that the collected wisdom here can help me get a set that sound like I want without having to try too many different or expensive combinations.

Thanks for any suggestions you have!

Mar 8, 2024 at 10:17 PM Post #2,700 of 2,717
Bit of necroposting here, but it's right on topic for the thread so I'm gonna dig this up instead of starting a new one.

I bit on Valhalla 2 at the end-of-life sale and have it here happily playing along on the stock tubes. It sounds nice, and I can tell the difference between it and Jotunheim 2.

I'm new to tube rolling - I get the basics, that I can "roll" any tube of the same type or equivalents. The manual specifies several possible equivalents, and the forums have found several others that work with adapters. Understand all that. I also understand that the tube manufacturer and even the production run can make for a different sound - the prior more than the latter, I'd assume.

Can one of you experts here, who've tried dozens of different tubes, suggest a set for me that will give me a very "tubey" colored sound? I want a casual listener to think, "Oooo, tubes." when they hear the amp, not just someone with golden ears. I'm hoping that the collected wisdom here can help me get a set that sound like I want without having to try too many different or expensive combinations.

Thanks for any suggestions you have!
With the rear (power) tubes - 6N6P - rolling choices are limited since the tube type is a unique Russian design. The 'tubeyness' will have to come from the front (driver) tubes - 6922 etc or 12AT7 / 12AU7 with adapters. Start with Sylvania for 6922, RCA for 12AT7 / 12AU7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back