Schiit Valhalla Tube Rolling thread.
Mar 9, 2024 at 1:28 AM Post #2,703 of 2,717
Are there separate adapters for the 12AT7/12AU7 or is it the same one? Like this one from tubemonger?
Same. 12Axx is a family with 12AU7 (amp factor: 20 - medium gain), 12AT7 (amp factor: 60 - high gain), 12AX7 (amp factor: 100 - way too high gain - 'cept for geetar amps). There's a bunch of other siblings in the family as well. But all use the same adapter for 6922 socket.

Mar 9, 2024 at 1:38 AM Post #2,704 of 2,717
How important is it to get matched sets? Is that worth worrying about? They cost more - representing more labor and time.

I could easily spend more on tubes than I spent on the amp. Hee.
.... some of us have 😳🤪. In my case, Monoprice Cavalli Liquid Platinum: $330 (on sale); pair Telefunken G-73R: $620 (a while ago).

Mar 9, 2024 at 1:48 AM Post #2,705 of 2,717
How important is it to get matched sets? Is that worth worrying about? They cost more - representing more labor and time.
Not vital. However, if the pair of tubes are more 10-15% out of spec with other, there could be balance issues. Many vendors sell matched pairs for not much extra.
Ummm... that's the whole point of tube rolling. There's no (published) fixed ratio, but a good and terrible average is roughly 5 to 1. Whatever your amp costs, once fully rolling, tubes cost investment will be 5 times more: $300 = $1500 in tubes. Roughly. On the low end. :joy:

However, with the Valhalla, you won't be spending $800 pair on output tubes. So that's a huge cost savings. If you want to jump right to a pair of Telefunken G72R drivers, you're almost a 3rd of the way to the respectable threshold.

Or... you could consider a pair of 60s vintage RFT ECC82 (12AU7) Foil Getters for much less. Or triplet RFT ECC82s for $79. Or a pair of Brimar CV4003 (12AU7). There's hundreds of various 12AU7/ECC82 to taste. And then there's the smaller 5670 family to overspend on as well.

This is just to get you rolling... once your wallet is opened to the thermionic winds of desire it probably won't close again. Have fun! :ksc75smile:

Mar 11, 2024 at 4:00 PM Post #2,706 of 2,717

In addition to the other (excellent) suggestions, look for some Holland made Amperex 6922’s or 6DJ8’s. No adapter needed for them. The Amperex have a house sound that is typically warm and tubey. The D-getters are best, followed by the large halo getter (the ring is 2/3rds the diameter of the bottle), and then the small halo getter (1/3rd the diameter of the bottle). Stay away from the windmill getters as they kinda suck (latest and last years of production).

Mar 12, 2024 at 1:49 PM Post #2,707 of 2,717
In addition to the other (excellent) suggestions, look for some Holland made Amperex 6922’s or 6DJ8’s. No adapter needed for them. The Amperex have a house sound that is typically warm and tubey. The D-getters are best, followed by the large halo getter (the ring is 2/3rds the diameter of the bottle), and then the small halo getter (1/3rd the diameter of the bottle). Stay away from the windmill getters as they kinda suck (latest and last years of production).
I've taken the plunge on a a couple of sets of tubes, one the Dutch Amperex 6922's. The picture shows the large halo getter, which seemed fine for the price.

Thanks for all the very helpful advice! Now I just have to wait for them to arrive.

Mar 12, 2024 at 3:12 PM Post #2,708 of 2,717
I've taken the plunge on a a couple of sets of tubes, one the Dutch Amperex 6922's. The picture shows the large halo getter, which seemed fine for the price.

Thanks for all the very helpful advice! Now I just have to wait for them to arrive.
Sweet! Please be sure and post back once you get them and let us know what you think.

Mar 16, 2024 at 9:32 PM Post #2,709 of 2,717
Well, my first tubes arrived, and they're in and singing. It's hard to quantify the differences because a/bing takes a while. These are "Amperex Orange Globe 6922/ECC88/6DJ8 Tube Pair", not one of the suggested ones from above, but one that caught my fancy and I'd heard the name someplace else.

Amperex Orange Globe 6922 eBay.jpg

They're in and playing. Things are different, but it's hard to say how. The amp sounds warmer and less accurate, yet fuller all around. So far I'm enjoying it.

Another set - the holland made amperex suggested above - is on the way.

Mar 16, 2024 at 10:59 PM Post #2,710 of 2,717
Well, my first tubes arrived, and they're in and singing. It's hard to quantify the differences because a/bing takes a while. These are "Amperex Orange Globe 6922/ECC88/6DJ8 Tube Pair", not one of the suggested ones from above, but one that caught my fancy and I'd heard the name someplace else.

Amperex Orange Globe 6922 eBay.jpg

They're in and playing. Things are different, but it's hard to say how. The amp sounds warmer and less accurate, yet fuller all around. So far I'm enjoying it.

Another set - the holland made amperex suggested above - is on the way.
The 'orange globes' are excellent 6922s. [I have rotated them in Valhalla 2 (ago), in Liquid Platinum, in Woo WA3.]

Mar 23, 2024 at 3:45 PM Post #2,711 of 2,717
I’ve purchased a few New Production tubes to try out in the Valhalla 2 and I wanted to share my impressions.

My system is… DMP-A6 –> Valhalla 2 –> ZMF Verite Closed (Eikon Suede pads)

6N6P - POWER TUBE alternatives

JJ ECC99 (no adapter) - matched pairs: I didn’t see any definitive info in this thread on these tubes as replacements for the stock 6N6P, so I wanted to give them a try. Perhaps one of the new tubes was bad or perhaps these tubes are really and truly not compatible with the Valhalla 2, but I only needed a few seconds listening to these tubes to realize they were absolutely awful in this amp. First, there was a very audible low hum in the background and second even with a cranked volume knob I couldn’t get to a satisfactory volume level. Don’t waste your time.

6N1P – PRE-AMP TUBE alternatives

The main issue I have with the stock pre-amp tubes is that I feel like they have a slightly veiled sound to them. I might not be using the correct terminology here, but I think there is something that sounds almost muffled with these tubes – primarily in the mids. Vocals sound too recessed to me. The stock tubes have a nice punchy bass and no complaints with treble either. But something sounds off to me with the stock tubes.

I am using a “Jemosa” 12AX7 / 12AU7 To 6N2 / 6N1 (C Copper Bakelite) tube converter purchased on Amazon to tube roll the Pre-Amp Tubes

• Mullard New Stock / Reissue 12AU7 (Russia) - matched pairs: This is a definitive downgrade from the stock tubes. I found both the Bass and Treble to be much less present than the stock tubes. Overall it has just a very “thin” sound to me. It’s difficult to describe a sound but these just seemed to suck all the dynamics out of the amp. These are definitely not a good pairing with this amp.
  • JJ ECC 82 12AU7 – Matched Pairs: These are a great upgrade to the stock pre-amp tubes in my opinion. The way I would describe these is that they have all the good elements of the stock pre-amp tubes but it also removes the veil I described. I immediately noticed a difference compared to the stock tubes. It wasn’t a subtle change.
  • Mullard New Stock / Reissue 12AT7 (Russia) – matched pairs: I feel like these are very close in terms of sound to the JJ 12AU7 but with higher gain. I would need more time comparing these with the JJ 12AU7 to pin point the exact differences in sound. I would just say that either these or the JJ AU7 would be great upgrades to the stock tubes and well worth the very modest price. I would rank these asmy top choice with the JJ’s nearly equal – it will probably come down to individual preference.

Are there any sub $40 NOS tubes I should consider trying out which are absolute upgrades over the stock pre-amp tubes?

Mar 23, 2024 at 10:58 PM Post #2,713 of 2,717
Mar 27, 2024 at 5:05 PM Post #2,714 of 2,717
The Holland-made Amperex came, finally. They sound lovely, although I think one hums a little. Listening to my first test album had me whistling along with it, which is rare and a sign that I'm enjoying myself a great deal. Lovely tube.

s-l1600.jpg

Very nice so far, and yet another new sound from the same amp.

My set of 12Axx -> ECC88 adapters arrived as well, so there's another whole world I can explore!

Mar 27, 2024 at 7:44 PM Post #2,715 of 2,717
The Holland-made Amperex came, finally. They sound lovely, although I think one hums a little. Listening to my first test album had me whistling along with it, which is rare and a sign that I'm enjoying myself a great deal. Lovely tube.

s-l1600.jpg
Very nice so far, and yet another new sound from the same amp.

My set of 12Axx -> ECC88 adapters arrived as well, so there's another whole world I can explore!
Give 'em a little play time. That hum may go away. Might not. Just saying there's a possibility. 🤣

Personally, I love the sound of a good 6DJ8. The 6922 has roughly the same specs but is supposed to be a more ruggedized version of the 6DJ8. Biggest problem (IME) with 6DJ8's is they have a higher incident rate of microphonics or other noise, but if you can find quiet ones they seem to have a more romantic, harmonically rich sound than most 6922's. YMMV, of course, but a D-getter (Holland made) Amperex is a top tier tube to my ears, and the O getters like you have are most excellent too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back