Schiit Vali 3 : Impressions Thread
Mar 31, 2024 at 12:18 PM Post #106 of 545
Looks like from this thread below ,
That Vali 3 is still a clean hybrid bright and dry like the Vali 2 + and ++ , close to a Solid state sound amp. Nothing sound really tubey and tube rolling does not really change anything.
If nobody tells me otherwise, i will keep my Vali 2 with WE 396A on it, which as more warm, colored and distorted sound than + ++ , But tube rolling still don't matter very much on it as well. Even with the WE 396A it's very subtle.
I Was hoping that Vali 3 , could make the tube rolling more obvious.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Schiit/comments/1bl545r/just_got_vali_3_what_now/

" I just returned my vali 3 after just a day, thing was incredibly bright and dry, to the point that it was fatiguing even on my hd650s "
" Received my V3 yesterday but have limited time on it. Not sure if I’m going to be keeping it though. "

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2024 at 12:45 PM Post #107 of 545
I think the biggest thing is that the plate goes from 60v to 100v (same as Lyr+ and Lyr 3).

Don't know how it translates in practice though. Hopefully it allows the tube to come out more.

Vali is hybrid tube amp meaning, tube input stage solid state output stage. Advantage is that the output impedance is low. So can be used on any headphone.

But in your case your headphones are 300 ohm, so you're better off with OTL such as the Valhalla 2 and the xDuoo TA-26 to be honest.

Word on the street is that Valhalla 3 is coming soon, you could wait for that. But if you just want smaller cheaper Schiit to try then Vali 3 could be a good option, just won't be as tubey as OTL.
I've used the Vali 3 with DT 800 (600 ohm). Set it on high gain and it sounds tremendous. Absolute sonic bliss (for me!). YMMV

Leo

Mar 31, 2024 at 12:50 PM Post #108 of 545
I've used the Vali 3 with DT 800 (600 ohm). Set it on high gain and it sounds tremendous. Absolute sonic bliss (for me!). YMMV

Leo
My headphones are Grado Sr225e ( 32 ohm ) and Focal Elear ( 80 Ohm ). So i don't need the 100V , what do you think ? should i keep with my Vali 2 and forget about Vali 3 ? if i prefer the sound of Vali 2 over the + ++. Did you ever listened the Vali 2 or Vali 2 + ++ ? If yes can you comment ? thank you

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2024 at 2:50 PM Post #109 of 545
Alright, I have had the Vali3 for a week now and this is how it sounds and compares to what I have currently.
I only listened to it with the stock tube for a couple of days. The sound was almost plain Jane to start and opened up a bit. I currently only have one tube to roll to an that is another Oktyabr 6N3P but the more rugged -EB variant. (See my post a couple of pages back.) This tube is a much better and open tube. I have several tubes on the way for Tube Rolling Madness.

First up is the Valhalla2. I only have the stock tubes for this so it probably is not a fair comparison. The Valhalla sounds like a solid state amp and not a tube amp. I also only have 2 pairs of 600 ohm cans to really use with it now. (Sennheiser HD540 early production and AKG 240 Sextett mid production). Unlike the Vali2 I had in 2017, the Vali3 can actually drive them. Needless to say I will be selling the Valhalla2.

Next is the Asgard3, my daily driver for over 4 years. While it is a great amp, I think the Vali3 is a bit more dynamic and has a better soundstage. This amp will also be hitting the road, more on this later.

The first 5 inch amp I bought since 2018 is the Magni Heretic. $59, why not? What a snowball effect it has had on me the last month! I really only bought it because it is an OpAmp based amp. It is quite sterile and very revealing. I will be keeping it because of this for testing and for some recordings. It is also a good backup amp. Had I stopped with the Heretic I could have been happy for quite some time. But, where is the fun in that. It also confirmed that I prefer amps with discrete components and a warm signature.

I figured since I got and liked the Heretic, I may as well get the Magni+ for $69. This is a great little amp and one of the reasons I am selling the Asgard3. It sounds so much like the Asgard that I call it the Asgard Jr. While it lacks the power of the Asgard3, to me it sounds very much like it. Still lacking compared to the Vali3 but worth keeping.

Enter the Magni Piety. This is a great little amp that has a tube like sound. I like it better than the Heretic or the +, but it still does not compare to Vali3. This may be because of the ability to roll in tubes of my choosing. It is also getting to stay.

The Vali3 has only been here a week and I can not stop listening to it. Already I have a soundstage I never dreamed of from headphones. It drives everything from the 32ohm Meze99 to the 600 cans mentioned earlier.
The sound stage is the biggy though. In the past, headphones only gave me sound as illustrated in these two images. The sound blob in the middle of my head. I actually hated listening to headphones compared to speakers.

headspace1a.jpg

headspace1b.jpg

The last few years (since 2016) I have managed to get a sound like the red images show. Better but I still like speakers better.

headspace2a.jpg

headspace2b.jpg

Now with the Vali3 I am getting a huge headstage (see the blue illustrations) that is pushing out beyond my head. What do some of these incoming tubes have to offer? Fun times ahead!

headspace3a.jpg

headspace3b.jpg

Mar 31, 2024 at 5:39 PM Post #111 of 545
Alright, I have had the Vali3 for a week now and this is how it sounds and compares to what I have currently.
I only listened to it with the stock tube for a couple of days. The sound was almost plain Jane to start and opened up a bit. I currently only have one tube to roll to an that is another Oktyabr 6N3P but the more rugged -EB variant. (See my post a couple of pages back.) This tube is a much better and open tube. I have several tubes on the way for Tube Rolling Madness.

First up is the Valhalla2. I only have the stock tubes for this so it probably is not a fair comparison. The Valhalla sounds like a solid state amp and not a tube amp. I also only have 2 pairs of 600 ohm cans to really use with it now. (Sennheiser HD540 early production and AKG 240 Sextett mid production). Unlike the Vali2 I had in 2017, the Vali3 can actually drive them. Needless to say I will be selling the Valhalla2.

Next is the Asgard3, my daily driver for over 4 years. While it is a great amp, I think the Vali3 is a bit more dynamic and has a better soundstage. This amp will also be hitting the road, more on this later.

The first 5 inch amp I bought since 2018 is the Magni Heretic. $59, why not? What a snowball effect it has had on me the last month! I really only bought it because it is an OpAmp based amp. It is quite sterile and very revealing. I will be keeping it because of this for testing and for some recordings. It is also a good backup amp. Had I stopped with the Heretic I could have been happy for quite some time. But, where is the fun in that. It also confirmed that I prefer amps with discrete components and a warm signature.

I figured since I got and liked the Heretic, I may as well get the Magni+ for $69. This is a great little amp and one of the reasons I am selling the Asgard3. It sounds so much like the Asgard that I call it the Asgard Jr. While it lacks the power of the Asgard3, to me it sounds very much like it. Still lacking compared to the Vali3 but worth keeping.

Enter the Magni Piety. This is a great little amp that has a tube like sound. I like it better than the Heretic or the +, but it still does not compare to Vali3. This may be because of the ability to roll in tubes of my choosing. It is also getting to stay.

The Vali3 has only been here a week and I can not stop listening to it. Already I have a soundstage I never dreamed of from headphones. It drives everything from the 32ohm Meze99 to the 600 cans mentioned earlier.
The sound stage is the biggy though. In the past, headphones only gave me sound as illustrated in these two images. The sound blob in the middle of my head. I actually hated listening to headphones compared to speakers.

headspace1a.jpg
headspace1b.jpg

The last few years (since 2016) I have managed to get a sound like the red images show. Better but I still like speakers better.

headspace2a.jpg
headspace2b.jpg

Now with the Vali3 I am getting a huge headstage (see the blue illustrations) that is pushing out beyond my head. What do some of these incoming tubes have to offer? Fun times ahead!

headspace3a.jpg
headspace3b.jpg
Thanks for the best review so far. Very much appreciate the comparisons to the Vali 2 and Heretic.

Mar 31, 2024 at 5:40 PM Post #112 of 545

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2024 at 5:50 PM Post #113 of 545
Thanks for the review Hofy. My headphone are Grado Sr225e ( 32 ohm ) and Focal Elear ( 80 Ohm ) so i don't need the extra power of the Vali 3, I already have the Vali 2 with WE 396A , What do you suggest me , I buy the Piety ( Still available at 175$ ) and keep my Vali 2 or just buy the Vali 3 and Sell the Vali 2 ? Is Piety and Vali 3 redundant ? Can you compare more the Vali 2 vs Vali 3 and Piety vs Vali 3 ? Is the Vali 3 really better at soundstage and Tube rolling effective than the Vali 2 ? Is the Piety as a more Tubey sound than the Vali 3 ? Thank you for your advice and comment , really appreciated.

Mar 31, 2024 at 5:57 PM Post #115 of 545
Thanks for the review Hofy. My headphone are Grado Sr225e ( 32 ohm ) and Focal Elear ( 80 Ohm ) so i don't need the extra power of the Vali 3, I already have the Vali 2 with WE 396A , What do you suggest me , I buy the Piety ( Still available at 175$ ) and keep my Vali 2 or just buy the Vali 3 and Sell the Vali 2 ? Is Piety and Vali 3 redundant ? Can you compare more the Vali 2 vs Vali 3 and Piety vs Vali 3 ? Is the Vali 3 really better at soundstage and Tube rolling effective than the Vali 2 ? Is the Piety as a more Tubey sound than the Vali 3 ? Thank you for your advice and comment , really appreciated.
I kindly disagree. Your impedance matching isn't what's important between the Vali 2 and the 3. It's the voltage. I'm listening right now with my Grado Hemp and it very low impedance. It is substantially better sounding (bass, timbre, and airiness) than the V 2. I also use the WE 396a and it greatly benefits from the huge increase in the voltage in terms quickness. YMMV

Anyway, good luck on your sonic journey.

Leo

Mar 31, 2024 at 6:04 PM Post #116 of 545
I kindly disagree. Your impedance matching isn't what's important between the Vali 2 and the 3. It's the voltage. I'm listening right now with my Grado Hemp and it very low impedance. It is substantially better sounding (bass, timbre, and airiness) than the V 2. I also use the WE 396a and it greatly benefits from the huge increase in the voltage in terms quickness. YMMV

Anyway, good luck on your sonic journey.

Leo
Thank you Leo, I think I'm gonna sell the Vali 2 for Vali 3 , But i kind of want the Piety as well , I'm just wandering if the Vali 3 and Piety are redundant, have they got a sonic signature really different or similar ? And if i get both, will i be using the Piety that much and just listen to the Vali 3 more. If someone can comment on the difference of both. Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2024 at 6:16 PM Post #117 of 545
I would definitely consider moving up to the Vali3 if you are still using the original Vali2. It has been almost 6 years since I sold my Vali2 so about the only thing I remember is that it just could not drive the 600ohm headphones to listening levels. As for impedance the Vali2 and 3 both has a high/low gain switch. I run the Meze99 in low gain and the Sennheisers in high gain. As far as the Piety, I would skip it and focus on the Vali3 and all the different tubes you can roll with it. Just remember any tubes you have for the Vali2 or 2+ will need a 6922 to 5670 adapter. I kept all my tubes from when I had my Vali2.

Mar 31, 2024 at 6:29 PM Post #118 of 545
I would definitely consider moving up to the Vali3 if you are still using the original Vali2. It has been almost 6 years since I sold my Vali2 so about the only thing I remember is that it just could not drive the 600ohm headphones to listening levels. As for impedance the Vali2 and 3 both has a high/low gain switch. I run the Meze99 in low gain and the Sennheisers in high gain. As far as the Piety, I would skip it and focus on the Vali3 and all the different tubes you can roll with it. Just remember any tubes you have for the Vali2 or 2+ will need a 6922 to 5670 adapter. I kept all my tubes from when I had my Vali2.
Thank you i will follow your advise then ! I already have a dozen Tubes for it. That's what i wanted to know, from someone who as both Vali 3 and Piety. But If you think, they have still a different sonic signature though, and can complete each other for style of music or headphone, i could as well buy the Piety.
What i understand is the Vali 3 is more dynamic, better soundstage, has better treble details and extension, the Piety is warmer, more tubey like, better mids. If it's the case maybe i want both.
But if i end up not using it because they are redundant and the Superior Vali 3, i will not buy it.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2024 at 7:25 PM Post #119 of 545
Thank you i will follow your advise then ! I already have a dozen Tubes for it. That's what i wanted to know, from someone who as both Vali 3 and Piety. But If you think, they have still a different sonic signature though, and can complete each other for style of music or headphone, i could as well buy the Piety.
What i understand is the Vali 3 is more dynamic, better soundstage, has better treble details and extension, the Piety is warmer, more tubey like, better mids. If it's the case maybe i want both.
But if i end up not using it because they are redundant and the Superior Vali 3, i will not buy it.
For what it is worth, Pietys can be had pretty cheap on eBay. I picked mine up for $119. Like new with light use. Part of the original 1,000. I have 4 of the 5 inch amps right now. I plan to hold onto them for a bit, but we will see how that is in 6 months. I have spent just under $400 for all of them, not counting shipping, tax or tubes.

Mar 31, 2024 at 7:53 PM Post #120 of 545
For what it is worth, Pietys can be had pretty cheap on eBay. I picked mine up for $119. Like new with light use. Part of the original 1,000. I have 4 of the 5 inch amps right now. I plan to hold onto them for a bit, but we will see how that is in 6 months. I have spent just under $400 for all of them, not counting shipping, tax or tubes.
Yes, but is it redundant with the Vali 3 ? Or does the Piety has a more warmish tubey sounding, laid-back with softer highs, compare to the vali 3. Cause if it does, both interest me, even at new cost. What i've heard is the Vali 3 is clean details and bright top end. I have also the Loki mini + ( Maybe with EQ Piety is not relevant ? ) I just order my Vali 3 by the way Thanks to Luckyleo and you !

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back