Schiit Vali 3 : Impressions Thread
Mar 24, 2024 at 9:02 AM Post #76 of 483
Would the Vali 3 offer a "tubier" sound when pad rolling than the Vali 2++? I've currently got a 5670 5-star in a Vali 2++ and enjoy it quite a bit. I also have a Gold Lion via an adapter but prefer the 5670. What more would the Vali 3 bring to the table sonically versus the Vali 2++?

I think the biggest thing is that the plate goes from 60v to 100v (same as Lyr+ and Lyr 3).

Don't know how it translates in practice though. Hopefully it allows the tube to come out more.

How does the Vali 2+/2++/3 compared to Valhalla 2 or even OTL like xDuoo TA-26? Is the sound more tubey / holographic? I have the latter paired with Sennheiser HD800S and ZMF Atticus, streaming out of Cayin N7 3.5mm-to-RCA. Thinking about Modi Multibit and Vali 3 for my first Schiit.

Vali is hybrid tube amp meaning, tube input stage solid state output stage. Advantage is that the output impedance is low. So can be used on any headphone.

But in your case your headphones are 300 ohm, so you're better off with OTL such as the Valhalla 2 and the xDuoo TA-26 to be honest.

Word on the street is that Valhalla 3 is coming soon, you could wait for that. But if you just want smaller cheaper Schiit to try then Vali 3 could be a good option, just won't be as tubey as OTL.

Mar 24, 2024 at 9:20 AM Post #77 of 483
It is finally here. Noods anyone?

1711286346626.png
"The Luddite?" 🧐🤔

Mar 24, 2024 at 5:35 PM Post #79 of 483
I think the biggest thing is that the plate goes from 60v to 100v (same as Lyr+ and Lyr 3).

Don't know how it translates in practice though. Hopefully it allows the tube to come out more.

Vali is hybrid tube amp meaning, tube input stage solid state output stage. Advantage is that the output impedance is low. So can be used on any headphone.

But in your case your headphones are 300 ohm, so you're better off with OTL such as the Valhalla 2 and the xDuoo TA-26 to be honest.

Word on the street is that Valhalla 3 is coming soon, you could wait for that. But if you just want smaller cheaper Schiit to try then Vali 3 could be a good option, just won't be as tubey as OTL.
Thank you so much - right on point! After the OTL, I am wondering what's next - should I invest in a proper desktop/lounge tube amp like full-size Cayin HA-2A/3A/6A/300BMKII that work on triode/ultralinear, Feliks Audio Echo/Elise, ZMF Decware OTL, and eventually circled back to Schiit offerings: Vali 3, Lyr 3, Valhalla 3 (soon). I am guessing that Vali 3 is a hybrid tube amp, Lyr 3 can be full tube or solid state, and then Valhalla 3 as OTL. So bummed I missed on the Folkvangr when they had it around.

Mar 25, 2024 at 5:22 PM Post #81 of 483
What a piece of Schiit.

Attachments

• IMG20240325171404.jpg
    IMG20240325171404.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG20240325170747.jpg
    IMG20240325170747.jpg
    768.9 KB · Views: 0
Mar 25, 2024 at 6:36 PM Post #82 of 483
While examining my Vali3 I was checking the tube. I noticed the manufacturers symbol (see first pic)
That is the Oktyabr plant in Vinniza City, Ukrane. The date looks like 1973. I went back through my tubes and 4 from this plant. Second and third pics. They look to be from 2nd week or month 1988. I also notice the -EB after the model number. It is a more rugged and longer life tube than the just model number or -E. Good for 5,000+ hours.

20240324_174931.jpg

20240324_175059.jpg
20240324_175113.jpg

Mar 26, 2024 at 12:55 PM Post #84 of 483
Just my two cents. Mine has around 10-15 hours of burn in on the stock tube. Used it last night with my Aryas (D90III as dac with og A90 as preamp) with absolutely no complaints. Now with my work setup on the iDsd Neo with my Sivga SV023, where I actually intend to use it. It's not super tubey but it has some mild characteristics I like from my Bottlehead Crack and tubes in general, like the reverb. Bass feels meatier and with a slightly slower decay than the built in amp on the Neo, stage is slightly wider with some extra depth that adds to a more holographic feel. Vocals feel a bit more centric to me. As for IEMs, I can't hear any hiss or noise with my iBasso IT-07, which are super sensitive, so this is definitely a clean sounding amp for that purpose. Unit barely even get warm so I guess the shape of the case is doing its job keeping the heat of the tube outside of the housing. I honestly think it's very good for the price, already looking to start tube rolling it. Got the amp as a secondary for my work desk and I'm definitely keeping it here for the time being.

Mar 27, 2024 at 1:48 PM Post #85 of 483
View attachment 1711568793850.jpeg
Finally both arrived! The two amp stack worked out nicely. A new favorite spot in the living room. Vali 3 is a Magni Unity with a ’Tube’ stage.
It’s sounds very similar, but with ’tiny’ more tube (distorsion) and sound stage. That Magni Unity w. Dac card is a ’Great One’. Both amps make my Beyers DT-900 Pro X sing…mostly the Vali 3, it make the top end sparkle. I like it a lot…next piece of Schiit will be the Loki Mini+.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 2:40 PM Post #86 of 483
Finally both arrived! The two amp stack worked out nicely. A new favorite spot in the living room. Vali 3 is a Magni Unity with a ’Tube’ stage.
It’s sounds very similar, but with ’tiny’ more tube (distorsion) and sound stage. That Magni Unity w. Dac card is a ’Great One’. Both amps make my Beyer DT-900 Pro X sing…mostly the Vali 3, it make the top end sparkle. I like it a lot…next piece of Schiit will be the Loki Mini+.
Looking good! By the way what are you using for DAC for the Vali 3?

Or are you feeding the Vali 3 through Magni Unity?

Otherwise nice looking setup!

Mar 27, 2024 at 6:04 PM Post #90 of 483
Ah gotcha, maybe I'm a bit purist so I don't like feeding an amp with pre-amp.

But I'm pretty sure it should be ok I'm assuming Magni has good pre-amp output. :stuck_out_tongue:
It has a very low distorsion (Magni), at least in my age you will not hear a difference and it’s fun to compare the two amps.
The DAC is the same as modi, but USB-C only. I have a Bifrost 2/64, so I can compare the Multibit flavour as well.
Magni w. the Card is a winner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back