Schiit's Saga Preamp Impressions
Nov 20, 2016 at 12:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 191

CarlosUnchained

100+ Head-Fier
From Schiit's page:

Wait. A passive or active preamp? A relay-switched stepped attenuator volume control for perfect channel matching and unmeasurable distortion? A unique active stage that uses a hybrid tube buffer? And a remote control included? For $349? Yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes. Get prepared as Schiit rewrites the value equation in home audio the same way we’ve done for the desktop.

Nov 20, 2016 at 2:47 AM Post #3 of 191
Can you please post a link to the Shiit Audio site where this info is stated ? I cannot find it on shiit.com ...

http://schiit.com/products/saga

Nov 20, 2016 at 3:08 AM Post #4 of 191
Wow ... Relay attenuator, Wima MKP10 (not expencieve but excellent caps), remote control .... for 350 USD !? This one has a potential to become a classic giant killer ...

Nov 20, 2016 at 3:17 AM Post #6 of 191
Nov 20, 2016 at 6:06 AM Post #7 of 191

I took a closer look into Saga ... It is simple design, which is basically good. It doesn't say though what is the input impedance. Resistor attenuators can have rather low input impedances - normally in the area of 10K to 20K Ohm. That is basically ok although it would be better to have it around 50 K. The output impedance is 180 Ohm which is also ok although a bit high having in mind that Shiit implemented a buffer at the output. Usually the buffers provide output impedances lower than 100 Ohm.

But that does not tell anything about the sound. Having in mind how simple the circuit is, it could be real giant killer ...

Mar 4, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #8 of 191
My Saga arrived yesterday and I installed it into my two-channel system: Laptop - Modi Multibit - Saga - Audioengine N22 - Zu Omen Dirty Weekend.

First impressions: rubber feet installed from factory - yay! It takes a while (30 sec) to power up, and a relay clicks when it's ready. Build quality is very solid, the power switch is on the back, the LEDs on the front are a bit too bright; everything is it should be on a Schiit product. The remote is flimsy and plasticy but does its job. Hopefully Schiit comes out with an upgraded remote as an option - I'd buy one in a heartbeat. The stepped attenuator is way cool with the clicking relays and the way the remote takes over from the volume knob is clever. There is a light on the front that indicates when the remote has control. Interestingly, even when you turn the volume all the way down there's still sound being played, albeit at very low volume., You have to mute the output for it to go completely quiet.

Soundwise, I'm very happy so far. Smooth and clean without any stridency. The tubes are new and sound a bit 'thick' but we'll see how they'll turn out once they've played for a while. So far I'm a very happy customer - great product at a great price.

Mar 6, 2017 at 11:03 PM Post #9 of 191
  My Saga arrived yesterday and I installed it into my two-channel system: Laptop - Modi Multibit - Saga - Audioengine N22 - Zu Omen Dirty Weekend.

First impressions: rubber feet installed from factory - yay! It takes a while (30 sec) to power up, and a relay clicks when it's ready. Build quality is very solid, the power switch is on the back, the LEDs on the front are a bit too bright; everything is it should be on a Schiit product. The remote is flimsy and plasticy but does its job. Hopefully Schiit comes out with an upgraded remote as an option - I'd buy one in a heartbeat. The stepped attenuator is way cool with the clicking relays and the way the remote takes over from the volume knob is clever. There is a light on the front that indicates when the remote has control. Interestingly, even when you turn the volume all the way down there's still sound being played, albeit at very low volume., You have to mute the output for it to go completely quiet.

Soundwise, I'm very happy so far. Smooth and clean without any stridency. The tubes are new and sound a bit 'thick' but we'll see how they'll turn out once they've played for a while. So far I'm a very happy customer - great product at a great price.

I just noticed today about the volume still being audible even with volume knob turned all the way down. Startled me at first, but not an issue as I only noticed when I was within a foot or two of the speakers.

The relay clicking is a source of pride for me ... I've had several pots fail on receivers ... I only use the remote and love that CLICK click CLICK click CLICK!

Chassis fit and finish are phenomenal for a product thrice the price.

Passive mode is excellent if not preferred for "boring TV"

I prefer to run the hybrid tube buffer 90% of the time for everything else. It's a noticeable difference from passive with words like "full" and "deep" springing to mind, if not "forceful."

Stock tube is meh. Tung-Sol re-issue is great. Easily stands up to, if not superior to the Sylvanias, RCA, GEs, and Philco Chromedome I've tried.

The LEDs are stoopid bright

In summary, the Schiit Saga is an excellent pre-amp and was perfect match in both performance and price for my needs.

Mar 6, 2017 at 11:07 PM Post #10 of 191
For anyone researching the Schiit Saga:

Recently ordered / received a Schiit Saga ... first Schiit product for me. I don't do headphones, run solely 2 channel for music.

Nick T answered all my asinine questions pre-sale, and did so even "after hours" as someone mentioned previously. The chapter on service was spot-on, but I hope the poor guy gets a break every once in a while.

I use an HTPC to drive both a 2 channel and surround system in my living room.

I purchased the Saga to control a <$200 TubeCube 7 that has no remote and a pot destined to fail (BUT I LOVE THIS AMP!)

3.5 Watts (maybe) drives a set of 93db of Klipsch RP bookshelves that are sitting on top of a pair of K towers (part of the surround system).

The second set of Saga outputs drive a pair of K subwoofers which have dual input, and are simultaneously connected to a receiver.

There are NO issues with the subs connected to the Saga and receiver simultaneously.

I currently only use a single input of the Saga from my HTPC's integrated (RTK ALC1150) analog line out.

There is a TV in the middle ... and sometimes I watch old anime (stereo 4:3) through my 2 channel setup, so having a Saga with a remote control is super useful for this application.

I listen to streaming and WAVs I legally ripped, and appreciate the purely subjective sound quality of the Saga's hybrid tube buffer.

I am only interested in tube equipment for 2 channel ... and a single 6sn7 is easy to roll.

I perceive a significant difference between passive and buffer mode (very short cable run).

I don't need remote turn on or a bypass feature ... I use a wireless keyboard from my couch to change between analog and HDMI outputs on the HTPC.

The Saga allows me to enjoy both analog 2ch AND surround sound in the same room.

I love my Schiit Saga
biggrin.gif

Mar 8, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #11 of 191
  I don't need remote turn on or a bypass feature ... I use a wireless keyboard from my couch to change between analog and HDMI outputs on the HTPC.

The Saga allows me to enjoy both analog 2ch AND surround sound in the same room.

I love my Schiit Saga
biggrin.gif

I'm trying to figure out how to best fit a Saga into my HT system and a bypass feature would make it so much easier, I think?  The Saga has 0db gain so theoretically I could simply hook my preouts from my HT receiver to an input on the Saga and turn it's volume to full open.  This would give me unity gain would it not?  Preout from the Saga to my power amp. 

I would use the second room analog output from my HT receiver as well as my other analog sources to other inputs on the Saga.  So when watching movies the Saga is simply passing the signal through.  When listening to other sources the Saga is controlling volume and inputs.

The second preout on the Saga would go to a headamp.  This way I can turn up the volume on the headamp (thinking Jotunheim) and use the remote control from the Saga to control headphone volume from my couch.

I'm really struggling to wrap my head around this.  Does anybody see any holes in my plan?

Mar 8, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #12 of 191
  I'm trying to figure out how to best fit a Saga into my HT system and a bypass feature would make it so much easier, I think?  The Saga has 0db gain so theoretically I could simply hook my preouts from my HT receiver to an input on the Saga and turn it's volume to full open.  This would give me unity gain would it not?  Preout from the Saga to my power amp. 

I would use the second room analog output from my HT receiver as well as my other analog sources to other inputs on the Saga.  So when watching movies the Saga is simply passing the signal through.  When listening to other sources the Saga is controlling volume and inputs.

The second preout on the Saga would go to a headamp.  This way I can turn up the volume on the headamp (thinking Jotunheim) and use the remote control from the Saga to control headphone volume from my couch.

I'm really struggling to wrap my head around this.  Does anybody see any holes in my plan?

Your first paragraph is correct, I set my analog line out from my HTPC at full volume (unity) to my Saga. The Saga preouts are then routed to an amp and subwoofers.

My ONLY source is an HTPC (computer I built myself). I'm a cord-cutter, so my HTPC  is actually a TV/DVR (OTA with SiliconDust HD tuners), online streamer (Sling, Netflix, Spotify, etc...), and provides network access to my NAS where all my WAVs are stored.

I completely bypass my HT system (Onkyo RZ) with this configuration.

My HTPC is also connected via HDMI to my HT system, and I simply change my output device in the control panel (Windows) when I want to switch from the Saga to my HT system.

What is/are your source(s)?

Mar 8, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #13 of 191
I'll have 3 analog sources. 1. Like you a HTPC.  Analog out from my HT Omega Halo soundcard. 2. A gaming rig that uses a Gigabyte MB with what they call Amp Up.  It's the ALC1150 with a swapable op-amp.  3. Second room audio output from the HT receiver.  I still spin Blu Ray.  I want to watch movies and listen with headphones from my couch to the analog audio.  May get rid of the BD player when PowerDVD 17 comes out and use the HTPC for Blu Ray. 

All three are also hooked up to the receiver via HDMI.  Makes it simple for my wife. 

Mar 8, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #14 of 191
  I'll have 3 analog sources. 1. Like you a HTPC.  Analog out from my HT Omega soundcard. 2. A gaming rig that uses a gigabyte MB with what they call Amp Up.  It's the ALC1150 with a swap able op-amp.  3. Second room audio output from the HT receiver.  I still spin Blu Ray.  I want to watch movies and listen with headphones from my couch to the analog audio.  May get rid of the BD player when PowerDVD 17 comes out and use the HTPC for Blu Ray. 

Ahhh I should have mentioned my HTPC also has a GTX1070 FTW edition in it so it's also my gaming rig. It's all on an Asus board which like yours uses the ALC1150. I have a BD-ROM in the HTPC, but use it as a DVD player ... and just like you I"m waiting on updated PowerDVD.

Let me think on this one a little bit...I'll post back!

Mar 8, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #15 of 191
A few more questions ...

Is your receiver handling all of your multi-channel / digital sources?
How are you currently driving your wireless headphones?

Are you OK with completely separating your sources based on whether you want to run 2ch vs multi-channel?

In my case, I have a complete separation of analog and digital outputs ... I'm wondering if you could do the same, but your setup is a little more complex...

HTPC (HT Omega Halo) RCAs out to Saga input 1, set volume to max, select output source from control panel as necessary
HTPC Optical/Coax/HDMI (assuming on your mainboard) out to your receiver, select output source from control panel as necessary)
note: It's counter-intuitive, but you have to select "Stereo" under control panel properties in order for your receiver to process Pro-Logic from streaming video sources. Even set as stereo, your receiver will decode a DD/DTS signal if it's there.
Saga preamp out to your upcoming headphone amp.

Gaming rig HDMI out to your receiver via HDMI (optical does not support multi-channel PCM for gaming, its a PITA to be honest ... I have to reconfigure the HDMI to 5.1 for gaming, and then back to "stereo" to get my Onkyo to decode Pro-Logic sources in Sling / Netflix, and back ).

Blu-ray directly to your receiver, bypass the Saga completely.

Your upcoming headphone amp is your challenge. If you run it off your Saga, it'll be limited to your HTPC / analog source, and you won't get any of your digital sources (unless you throw a Bifrost / DAC in the mix), or unless the receiver is brought back into the mix. The Saga works well if you're completely isolating your analog and digital sources ... and have dedicated amps/hardware to play both. If you're trying to be more integrative with the Saga by using your receiver pre-amps / 2nd room outs ... I'd have to think on how that might work / what the implications would be.

Red arrows are 2ch analog connections
Blue arrows are HDMI digital / multichannel

For you, basically swap out my 2ch mini-tube amp with your headphone amp ... if I came close to understanding your usage.

Update: A Bifrost DAC would change this equation ... but I won't even go there yet ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back