Schiit's Saga Preamp Impressions
Mar 31, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #181 of 191
When the Saga is at max volume it is essentially a direct connection between the source and the amp with no internal resistance. At any other setting it is both a resistor in series with the amp and a resistor in parallel to the amp. The powered off amp has an input impedance even when off. The source component's output impedance is interacting with the impedance (resistance) of the Saga's passive components combined with the impedances of the two amps. When the Saga is turned all the way up it is essentially a wire and now it's resistances are not in the circuit any more. Some investigation with a test signal and an oscilloscope would be interesting. Any distortion that is clearly audible should appear on the scope. When the Saga is in active mode, the source component only drives the input of the active buffer and the Saga is driving the impedances of the two amps.

Mar 31, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #182 of 191
Ahh, very interesting. Thanks for the explanation.

Since the distortion only happens when the 2nd amp is turned off, I'm guessing that its input impedance somehow changes when it's off. How strange that to avoid distortion when using the 1st amp, I'll also have to make sure the 2nd amp is turned on!

Dec 11, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #183 of 191
Dear Head-fi,
Could someone please help my curiosity about the solid-state Saga S... What difference in sound should I expect when turning the buffer stage on and off?

To my untrained ears, there is no difference when the volume is at unity. With the volume at 50-95%, the active mode is slightly louder (possibly more in the mids and highs, but I'm not sure about this).

My cable runs are <1 metre, but there is a Schiit SYS between the Saga S and the Emotiva A-100 power amp.

Thank you.

Dec 11, 2021 at 8:43 PM Post #184 of 191
Dear Head-fi,
Could someone please help my curiosity about the solid-state Saga S... What difference in sound should I expect when turning the buffer stage on and off?

To my untrained ears, there is no difference when the volume is at unity. With the volume at 50-95%, the active mode is slightly louder (possibly more in the mids and highs, but I'm not sure about this).

My cable runs are <1 metre, but there is a Schiit SYS between the Saga S and the Emotiva A-100 power amp.

Thank you.
What’s the purpose behind putting another passive preamp between the Saga and Amp?

Dec 21, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #185 of 191
What’s the purpose behind putting another passive preamp between the Saga and Amp?
Hi Dana. The switch was left over from when I was switching between amps. It seemed to have no effect, since I've removed it and the difference between passive and active on the Saga S is the same.

Is anyone able to explain what the audible difference should be between the passive and active modes please?

Dec 22, 2021 at 7:58 AM Post #186 of 191
Hi Dana. The switch was left over from when I was switching between amps. It seemed to have no effect, since I've removed it and the difference between passive and active on the Saga S is the same.

Is anyone able to explain what the audible difference should be between the passive and active modes please?
I've had a Saga S in various systems now, and typically I hear similar results to those you describe: in buffer mode a very slight impression of more SPL in higher frequencies, and a very slightly brighter tonal signature. I don't know a possible technical reason for this, but would guess it having to do with more linear drive into the downstream chain. On the more resolving system I subjectively prefer the passive mode, in the less resolving systems I slightly prefer the buffer mode. In the higher resolution system passive mode seems to produce very slightly more transparency in how the sound stage is rendered, a bit more delicacy and "placement" resolution. Of course that could be the psychoacoustic effect of the slightly different tonal signature.

There doesn't seem to be enough interest in the Saga S for someone with technical chops to explore impressions of slightly different tone balance in the two modes. Regardless I love the little Saga S, it's s great pre-amp, and in a quality/value calculation possibly the best pre on the market!

Dec 22, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #187 of 191
Hi Treecloud. Many thanks for sharing your observations, I found them very interesting. I'll keep an ear out for any differences in sound stage between the modes, although it could well be too subtle for my ears.

I wholeheartedly agree that this is a great little pre-amp.

Mar 24, 2023 at 9:28 PM Post #188 of 191
If you own a Saga+ you should try the Schiit LISST MOSFET tube. I actually own the original Saga bought in 2017, six years ago. I ordered an LISST and have been listening to it for the first time today. I expected a dry-ish solid state sound and flat sound stage.

Boy was I wrong. I am just really pleased with what I am hearing. It’s not dry at all. Rather it’s fully fleshed out with great imaging. The sound stage is very broad with good depth. It’s different than the tube sound I was used to. The LISST is another alternative voicing of my Saga and is extremely enjoyable.

$50 for the LISST is a great investment if you own a Saga+.

Mar 28, 2024 at 4:58 AM Post #190 of 191
Reviving this old thread to say that I am kind of disappointed with Saga S.
I bought it to have a remote-controlled attenuator between my DAC and Tube pre or between my tube pre and power amp. There is no impedance mismatch, no loss in bass. There is however an uptick in treble. You lose depth and add detail in the highs at the expense of tonal accuracy. This is really noticeable when listening to acoustic music. I wanted a passive preamp to control the volume and not change the sound signature. Unfortunately this is not it.

Mar 28, 2024 at 5:18 AM Post #191 of 191
Reviving this old thread to say that I am kind of disappointed with Saga S.
I bought it to have a remote-controlled attenuator between my DAC and Tube pre or between my tube pre and power amp. There is no impedance mismatch, no loss in bass. There is however an uptick in treble. You lose depth and add detail in the highs at the expense of tonal accuracy. This is really noticeable when listening to acoustic music. I wanted a passive preamp to control the volume and not change the sound signature. Unfortunately this is not it.
Are you sure you have not experiencing an impedance mismatch? Do you know the capacitance per foot of your interconnects? What lenght are them? And what is the impedance output of your source or pre and the impedance input of your amp?
In my experience, the sound changes you are noticing are most likely due to an impedance mismatch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back