Schiit's Saga Preamp Impressions
Apr 27, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #31 of 191
If I understand this correctly, the Saga has two outputs and they are both live all the time? I was hoping to use this to switch output between headphones and speakers but it doesn't sound like that's possible.

Apr 27, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #32 of 191
Saga arrived today. It's fantastic!

Apr 27, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #33 of 191
With regard to headphones, could a headphone amp be connected to the second set of pre-outs, with h/phone amp volume on maximum, leaving Saga to control the headphone volume level?

Apr 28, 2017 at 12:05 AM Post #35 of 191
If I understand this correctly, the Saga has two outputs and they are both live all the time? I was hoping to use this to switch output between headphones and speakers but it doesn't sound like that's possible.

As far as I know, the outputs are tied together. There is no way to switch between them without modifying and voiding your warranty. I use a switchbox. Not for HP's but it would work the same way.

Apr 28, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #36 of 191
I am thinking about getting one of these to run between my CD/SACD player and my McIntosh C27 preamp. The Sega seems like an inexpensive way to add remote volume control to my system. I could use the unit in place if the McIntosh but it sure doesn't look as cool.

Apr 30, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #37 of 191
Sorry for the probably noob question but what benefit would the saga give me (if any) in my existing system, or a preamp in general?

Currently got a bimby and Valhalla 2 strictly for headphone use. I do not connect any speakers.

What would a preamp do for me?

The reason I'm looking at the saga is the remote control. Would leave the Valhalla 2 at full volume and control it with the saga's remote.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #38 of 191
Sorry for the probably noob question but what benefit would the saga give me (if any) in my existing system, or a preamp in general?

Currently got a bimby and Valhalla 2 strictly for headphone use. I do not connect any speakers.

What would a preamp do for me?

The reason I'm looking at the saga is the remote control. Would leave the Valhalla 2 at full volume and control it with the saga's remote.

Mostly convenience. The preamps were conceived for 2 channel power amps, these didn't have (and some still doesn't) volume control and only have one input.

So with the Saga you'd get: volume control, several inputs, remote and tube buffer in active mode (color the sound).

Even with a 2 channel system, the Valhalla can be used as a preamp, which is very convenient.

The decision is yours.

Personally I wouldn't spend that much just to have remote control when you are literally wired to the Valhalla by your cans. You can't go that far from it.

Apr 30, 2017 at 11:50 PM Post #39 of 191
Thanks for your reply. I'm about 3M away from the Valhalla 2 so a remote would be very convenient.

I hope that schiit starts adding remote control support to all products from now on

May 1, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #40 of 191
I hope that schiit starts adding remote control support to all products from now on

Unless Schiit decided to use a relay stepped attenuator to every amps they have, remote control would not be viable.

May 1, 2017 at 3:52 AM Post #41 of 191
Earlier I asked if Saga works with external phono stages. It does, with both my old Cambridge Audio 640P and a new Mani, within certain limits.
Using MC on both stages was disappointing, with a lack of gain and consequently a bit of audible noise when volume was turned up to a realistic level (about three quarter turn). Music was clear enough, but lacking dynamics. Maybe a higher output MC cartridge would be better, but realistically not many people are going to use a high end MC with either of these phono stages.

MM, Ortofon 520 Mk2, worked perfectly. No noise at listening levels, 12 o'clock volume, and the full 'oomph' of the music was restored. Slightly higher output from Mani, but the 640P was fine too. I'm sticking with Mani, because it looks cute!

May 26, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #42 of 191
It's been a while since I've posted to this thread, but wanted to add a few updates:

1) The Saga has functioned flawlessly on a near daily basis
2) Sound quality is phenomenal ... I couldn't be happier
3) The Schiit Mani pairs very well with the Saga. Astounding stereo separation and soundstage. Very detailed sound!
4) I have to update my tube-rolling post but I've finally found "the one." Raytheon 6SN7GTB has been hands down the best sounding tube I've rolled in. I picked up a few spares ... and they are consistently good. The USA and Japan made are essentially sonically identical.
5) I'm still integrating my HTPC with the Saga ... I really like being able to adjust my subwoofer volume independently of the Cronus using the Saga!

Esprit Mani Saga - Copy.jpg

May 26, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #44 of 191
Nice looking system.
What differences have you found in sound with the new tube? I'm still using the stock valve, and to be honest can't hear any difference between direct mode and tube mode!
I'm delighted with both Saga and Mani too.

And here's my Schiit heap.
IMG_1143.JPG

Last edited:
May 26, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #45 of 191
It's been a while since I've posted to this thread, but wanted to add a few updates:

1) The Saga has functioned flawlessly on a near daily basis
2) Sound quality is phenomenal ... I couldn't be happier
3) The Schiit Mani pairs very well with the Saga. Astounding stereo separation and soundstage. Very detailed sound!
4) I have to update my tube-rolling post but I've finally found "the one." Raytheon 6SN7GTB has been hands down the best sounding tube I've rolled in. I picked up a few spares ... and they are consistently good. The USA and Japan made are essentially sonically identical.
5) I'm still integrating my HTPC with the Saga ... I really like being able to adjust my subwoofer volume independently of the Cronus using the Saga!

How do you play records with the tonearm zip tied to the rest?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back