Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Dec 30, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #17,341 of 23,482
  @Pedro Oliveira, have you tried planar headphones like HE-400i or EL8, I was listening to some of your suggested songs and found that my HE-400i and EL8 really made the EDM/Trance tunes kick A--.  The HE-400i is also really cheap these days

I agree, the 400i with EDM and electronica is amazing, perhaps better suited than the HD6xx headphones. The 400i can bring it for sure.

Dec 31, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #17,342 of 23,482
  @Pedro Oliveira, have you tried planar headphones like HE-400i or EL8, I was listening to some of your suggested songs and found that my HE-400i and EL8 really made the EDM/Trance tunes kick A--.  The HE-400i is also really cheap these days

@DavidA Are the HE-400i for EDM?  I though the original HE-400 (which I had and gave to my nephew and just finished listening to today after not having them a few months since I'm visiting my brother) was reputed to have better bass and a more fun sound signature than the HE-400i which is more neutral, no?

The funny thing is I actually enjoy my HD600 with EDM, though I've also considered getting the HD 650 or HD 6XX since they are reputed to have slightly more bass, but I am intrigued by your recommendation of what I thought were more natural HE-400i over the HD 6XX.

Dec 31, 2016 at 1:24 AM Post #17,343 of 23,482

@DavidA Are the HE-400i for EDM?  I though the original HE-400 (which I had and gave to my nephew and just finished listening to today after not having them a few months since I'm visiting my brother) was reputed to have better bass and a more fun sound signature than the HE-400i which is more neutral, no?

The funny thing is I actually enjoy my HD600 with EDM, though I've also considered getting the HD 650 or HD 6XX since they are reputed to have slightly more bass, but I am intrigued by your recommendation of what I thought were more natural HE-400i over the HD 6XX.

The problem with the HD-600/650/6xx is that the bass is too one note and slow for EDM, Trance, and any really fast paced music to me.  Its a personal preference that some prefer.  And I agree that the original HE-400 might be even better, I still have mine and its highly modded, does EDM/Trance better than the HE-400i IMO but since they are no longer made it might be hard to get one these days which is why I suggested the HE-400i.

Dec 31, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #17,345 of 23,482
  I was being rhetorical/bordering on sarcasm and should have made that clear, sorry.

I thought you might have been doing that, but sometimes I'm a little thick. Cheers.

Jan 1, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #17,346 of 23,482
My apologies to all the die-hard fans. It's just a signature preference, not an indictment of the HD600. I feel I must state that before the floodgates open.
biggrin.gif

Why apologize? People like different headphones. No need to apologize just because others can't impose their preferences on you. ^_^

Jan 1, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #17,347 of 23,482
BE KIND TO YOURS EARS, LISTEN QUIETLY. Loud sound will eventually damage your hearing so turning the volume down is a smart idea. Give it a try, turn the volume down a little, and once you get used to listening quietly, turn it down a little more. Once you get used to listening quietly it will become the new norm, and your ears will suffer less listening fatigue. - Steve Guttenberg

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2017 HEADFIERS!

HAVE A HEALTHY EARS THAT WILL LAST FOR SO MANY NEW YEARS TO COME AND ENJOY MORE MUSIC FOREVER!

Jan 1, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #17,348 of 23,482
Sorry, quiet listening lacks any realism and impact for me, but I'm careful as best I can be.

Jan 1, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #17,349 of 23,482
  Sorry, quiet listening lacks any realism and impact for me, but I'm careful as best I can be.

+1.
Our FR is compromised at low sound levels so I turn it up some. I am blessed with a tough set of ears as I've listened on the loud side all my life and my hearing tests have come out perfectly fine. Now those folks blasting with a pair of Beats that like to share their music a block away, that's a whole other story.

Jan 2, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #17,350 of 23,482

+1.
Our FR is compromised at low sound levels so I turn it up some. I am blessed with a tough set of ears as I've listened on the loud side all my life and my hearing tests have come out perfectly fine. Now those folks blasting with a pair of Beats that like to share their music a block away, that's a whole other story.

Sometimes I'm on the bus. And I enjoy (not) the hiphop music played by someone on the other side of the bus. With closed headphones.

I cringe at times.

Jan 2, 2017 at 12:11 AM Post #17,351 of 23,482

Sometimes I'm on the bus. And I enjoy (not) the hiphop music played by someone on the other side of the bus. With closed headphones.

I cringe at times.

And those folks will never enjoy a pair of HD600's because they burned out their ears and can't tell the difference. I'll leave that to ignorance is bliss. Thump thump thump

Jan 2, 2017 at 12:32 AM Post #17,352 of 23,482
@StanD I agree, I also have pretty darn tough ears, and I suspect some luck to have decent hearing still going on 49. I have been to far too many loud concerts over the years. Recently my brother is shocked but I just turn down going to loud concerts, I want to retain what I have left (which is pretty darn good overall). While I listen loud (80-90db) I do so for typically shorter sessions and it isn't uncommon for me to even have a few days with little to no headphone use. I have been a little better at turning the music down lately. I attribute this to going with closed headphones as I think I really enjoy the impact and with open headphones I tend to listen louder to obtain that impact and sense of scale that I seem to crave. I'm hoping the Sony Z1R that I should have in I hope a few weeks at most really scratches that itch for me. We will see.

Jan 2, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #17,354 of 23,482
The problem with the HD-600/650/6xx is that the bass is too one note and slow for EDM, Trance, and any really fast paced music to me.  Its a personal preference that some prefer.  And I agree that the original HE-400 might be even better, I still have mine and its highly modded, does EDM/Trance better than the HE-400i IMO but since they are no longer made it might be hard to get one these days which is why I suggested the HE-400i.

268 euros for the hd650 and 219 for the x2s on european amazons right now....
Good or bad prices? I am reall tempted on the hd650 but with ces2017 happening this weekend i think i should wait....
Do you guys think there will be new hd6xx models this year and therefore the hd650 and 600 will see their prices lowered a bit?
Given the massdrop event and also since the hd600 turns 20 in 2017, do you guys think there will be new models or a anniversary edition?

I think the answer is no but do you guys think the hd600 or 650 will ever be discontinued? :)

Jan 2, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #17,355 of 23,482
268 euros for the hd650 and 219 for the x2s on european amazons right now....
Good or bad prices? I am reall tempted on the hd650 but with ces2017 happening this weekend i think i should wait....
Do you guys think there will be new hd6xx models this year and therefore the hd650 and 600 will see their prices lowered a bit?
Given the massdrop event and also since the hd600 turns 20 in 2017, do you guys think there will be new models or a anniversary edition?

I think the answer is no but do you guys think the hd600 or 650 will ever be discontinued?
smily_headphones1.gif

1. decent prices  but the HD-650 has been lower, didn't care for the X2 since I already had the X1 but ended up selling it of anyway.
2. waiting for CES is a good idea, who knows what will be introduced
3. I'm hoping MassDrop does another HD-6XX drop, wanted another HD-650 to mod
4. I don't see a anniversary edition of the HD-600, but who knows
5. Maybe in 10 years the HD-600/650 might get discontinued, but then again who knows

Users who are viewing this thread

Back