Shanling H7 - High-End Portable DAC/AMP/Player, Featuring new AKM AK4499EX Flagship DAC
Apr 16, 2024 at 9:31 PM Post #1,111 of 1,116
All my IEMs got more mature sounding with H7. Even FH7 got a meat on the bone.
That’s exactly it. Feels like the H7 gives everything I throw at it the gravitas of a distinguished professor. No sudden outbursts during lectures or spiky mood swings, but all the information, wisdom, and inspiration you could ever need.

Apr 18, 2024 at 1:58 PM Post #1,112 of 1,116
...then one day you turn on the H7, connect it to the IER-Z1R... the world turns off and the music turns on...

h7ier.jpg

Apr 20, 2024 at 10:12 AM Post #1,113 of 1,116
Not something we would recommend. H7 has no charging adjustments for this setting, it would just keep always recharging the batteries.

H7 is bit warmer and smoother, more in-line with our house sound. Otherwise it blows UP5 in sound quality, not really comparable.
@Shanling I jumped onto the h7 boat and am very pleased with the sound performance .

That said, I use this at a desk predominantly for extended periods. Like I will go through a whole battery and then some during a typical work session. Not being able to bypass the battery or charge while listening is...a problem.

I'm coming from the ifi xdsd gryphon which allows different ways to charge while listening. So I didn't have to worry about stopping music to charge, which I now have to be mindful of with the h7.

I also had your ua5 which allowed for battery bypass/didn't run down the battery while listening (so I know this isn't a foreign concept to your engineers).

Can you address this issue with the h7 through a firmware update? It just doesn't make sense...at all...to have a product that forces users to stop using it to charge. If this can't be changed I might give up on the product...as it's such a point of failure from a user experience perspective.

If you can't/won't make the change with the current h7, then perhaps borrow from cayin c9's approach with externally charged and easily replaced batteries for h7-2.

Apr 20, 2024 at 10:32 AM Post #1,114 of 1,116
@Shanling I jumped onto the h7 boat and am very pleased with the sound performance .

That said, I use this at a desk predominantly for extended periods. Like I will go through a whole battery and then some during a typical work session. Not being able to bypass the battery or charge while listening is...a problem.

I'm coming from the ifi xdsd gryphon which allows different ways to charge while listening. So I didn't have to worry about stopping music to charge, which I now have to be mindful of with the h7.

I also had your ua5 which allowed for battery bypass/didn't run down the battery while listening (so I know this isn't a foreign concept to your engineers).

Can you address this issue with the h7 through a firmware update? It just doesn't make sense...at all...to have a product that forces users to stop using it to charge. If this can't be changed I might give up on the product...as it's such a point of failure from a user experience perspective.

If you can't/won't make the change with the current h7, then perhaps borrow from cayin c9's approach with externally charged and easily replaced batteries for h7-2.
I would also like to have a function like this but I don't know if it is viable as a software update and not wanting to give up the sound of the H7 I purchased just yesterday for 300 euros a new FiiO Q15 (same chip), but with desktop management. So when the H7 is charging I won't miss it much... let's hope that's the case.

Apr 21, 2024 at 7:35 PM Post #1,115 of 1,116
Hi @Shanling -

When playing DSD on the H7, is it possible to use "DSD Filter 2" and utilize the "volume bypass" per the below page in the AKM 4191 datasheet?

Thanks!

1713742437045.png

Apr 21, 2024 at 10:59 PM Post #1,116 of 1,116

Firstly, you don't need to stop using H7 just to charge it, it can charge and be used at the same time. Not sure what issue are you facing on this.

Power delivery on H7 is all designed to be run from battery, it's hardware setup, not something we can just change with firmware update. Our engineers never made any Battery powered device that would be able to run fully from external power or just USB.

UA5 was complete opposite of its design, it was running on default from USB. With battery being enabled just as an extra option and only for certain circuits.

Hi @Shanling -

When playing DSD on the H7, is it possible to use "DSD Filter 2" and utilize the "volume bypass" per the below page in the AKM 4191 datasheet?

Thanks!
No, not available.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back