Shanling H7 - High-End Portable DAC/AMP/Player, Featuring new AKM AK4499EX Flagship DAC
Jan 28, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #1,082 of 1,116
mesth7.jpg

A magical pairing... the musicality of the H7 and the details of the Mest MKII. A dream that sounds...

Jan 29, 2024 at 3:25 PM Post #1,083 of 1,116
its getting better. 2 things I learned here - the DAC/amp itself does take some time to break in. But I think more than the that, the IEMs themselves have been taking longer to open up. After a little over a week now I'm noticing the soundstage opening up, some subbass thump, and less harshness in the 2khz pinna gain.
I bought the copper cable and imo, while it smoothed out the sound and gave a tad more warmth, it was not worth the trade-off of loss of detail and treble sparkle I get from my nice SPC cable. As things open up I'm able to enjoy both smooth sub-bass AND nice highs without the harshness.
AMT-16s really do take time to come into their own. But the wait is worth it.
20240129_151600.jpg

@Polky74 also good call on the final E tips. IMO that was also the missing ingredient, and definitely helped in the bass department. As I can get a nice comfortable seal. They fit my ears better than any other tips I've tried so far. So better seal in addition to narrow bore = more noticeable low end, as well as less fatiguing highs you'd get from a wide bore on a brighter set like this.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2024 at 3:34 PM Post #1,084 of 1,116
Let them go again I think the running-in is not finished yet... and they will lose what is left of their excessive initial brilliance, then you will be able to fully enjoy them with the splendid sound of the H7. :wink:

Jan 31, 2024 at 12:58 PM Post #1,085 of 1,116
Hi,

By burn-in, I assume you mean the time you need to get used to the sound ?
I highly doubt that some electronic capacitors will alter their caractristics with time so that the sound will be different.
I really must say that I never felt that using a device for a certain amouint of time has improved anything...
To make sure, I would need to have the same device in double ; let one the devices burn-in and them compare both in a double blind test.
I am almost sure that my ears would not allow me to tell them apart...
But of course I am now old and have become less sensitive for one, and more rational/skeptical for two :)
So I'm not trying to force any member of this group on my views of sound quality...

Feb 2, 2024 at 7:36 AM Post #1,086 of 1,116
After some use and analysis I have to say that the H7 is truly an incredible dac/amp. Putting aside the price, which might seem high but isn't, the Shanling dac/amp offers one of the best musical experiences I've ever heard. Very often reviewers and even users when faced with an amplification of this kind try to see if it is capable of powering medium sensitivity headphones but in my opinion this is not the correct way to judge the potential of this device. Of course, even with headphones it can reach very high volumes, but that doesn't mean driving them at 100%, however if used with an IEM you are truly faced with a unique experience. My opinion is that for headphones you always need desktop amplifiers to listen to them properly, in fact even with the RA2BFE which has more than double the power of the H7 (3 watts per channel at 32 ohms) you always feel that something is missing . From this discussion I obviously keep out very efficient headphones such as the HER10D which with their sensitivity (103 db) can also be driven by many dongles in their fullness. For that it is equipped with a real and quality line out with dedicated jacks and control entrusted to the undisputed qualities of the J-FET input dual operational amplifier MUSE8920. If used with the IEMs however, the H7 manages to reach simply incredible levels.
some examples:

IER-Z1R - With the Sony flagship the H7 returns a sound that gives full credit to the work carried out by Sony technicians. The IER-Z1R presents a quantity of bass equal to its quality, the mids are no longer recessed as with other sources but acquire a delicate and very defined presence, while the highs lose the aggressiveness that they could present with other sources and in fact acquire a balance unique that makes listening to Sony an all-encompassing experience. The stage is enormous as is the air between the instruments, but what reigns supreme is the delicacy and at the same time the strength that he manages to express. Sony engineers probably had precisely this type of performance in mind when they invented and created the IER-Z1R.

Mest MKII - The details of the Mest come out in a completely different way than with all the other dongles/daps I own... their presence is no longer so aggressive or in the foreground, but becomes the completion of the music scene. The protagonist in this pairing remains the sound in its entirety but unlike other pairings this time it is compact... the bass is deep, powerful and very detailed and connected splendidly with the mids which due to the characteristics of the H7 come further forward creating a perfect W sound that ends in the very extended highs and kept within the guard levels with the mastery they deserve. Truly a combination made especially for those who love musical and analogue sound but do not want to completely give up even a single gram of detail.

Jewel - With the Aroma the H7 confirms its other great characteristic and that is that of being an extraordinary all-rounder. There is no musical genre, type of sound, or recording that could put this pairing into difficulty. The Jewels which already possess this feature are pushed to an even higher level by the H7... everything plays around you, there is no musical passage, no matter how tangled and intricate, that the Jewel and H7 cannot make you listen to or enjoy. Everything is natural, everything flows fast, musical, defined, powerful, rich in details but above all deep and visceral. The balanced and all-encompassing sound of the Jewels is filled by the soul of the H7 which appropriates it and makes it its own, making listening a unique experience. Nothing is missing... but everything is expressed with delicacy (when necessary) and with incredible strength (when necessary)... everything is as it should be, every nuance is represented but never ostentatious and this is part of the whole.

Conclusion - The limitation that the Shanling M6 OG certainly had and that perhaps the M8 had (even if to a much lesser extent) even if I have never listened to it is the lack of propensity for complete representation of the details and depth of the notes and not only their weight, due to the warm and analog tone was completely surpassed by the H7. The sound that the H7 expresses is a mature, competent sound, without a wow effect (which then inevitably turns into critical issues that emerge after a while). The power of a dedicated amplification (to the IEM), the wisdom of the tuning carried out on the AK4499EX, the quality of the details combined with the way of placing them, the depth and thickness of the notes, the general cleanliness, the musicality... everything is at maximum levels with H7. Many try to impress with numbers... the H7 doesn't impress you... it draws you in.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 9:16 AM Post #1,087 of 1,116
The sound that the H7 expresses is a mature, competent sound, without a wow effect (which then inevitably turns into critical issues that emerge after a while). The power of a dedicated amplification (to the IEM), the wisdom of the tuning carried out on the AK4499EX, the quality of the details combined with the way of placing them, the depth and thickness of the notes, the general cleanliness, the musicality... everything is at maximum levels with H7. Many try to impress with numbers... the H7 doesn't impress you... it draws you in.
I can confirm every word and every letter.

Feb 4, 2024 at 10:13 PM Post #1,088 of 1,116
If you listen to the FD5 with their standard cable (silver-plated copper) and then switch to a copper cable... perhaps nothing will change in terms of measurement, but trust me by listening to them you will understand that everything has changed. :wink:
I can completely attest to this. I changed the cable out of necessity (it got broken somehow) to a copper one, not expecting or even trying for a difference (I was a cable skeptic), I just needed a new one. Low and behold the sound had changed, and for the better in my opinion. It sounded less fatiguing to my ears. It wasn't like it sounded like a different IEM, just the spiky edges in the treble had been chamfered.

On another note, since I have the FD5s and I'm interested in the H7, are they a good combo? I was also thinking of investing in either the UM Mest Mk2 (I've seen the glowing review above of the combo!), Penon Volt, or FAudio Spring to go with the H7, does anyone have any notable experience with these?

Feb 5, 2024 at 11:29 AM Post #1,089 of 1,116
I can completely attest to this. I changed the cable out of necessity (it got broken somehow) to a copper one, not expecting or even trying for a difference (I was a cable skeptic), I just needed a new one. Low and behold the sound had changed, and for the better in my opinion. It sounded less fatiguing to my ears. It wasn't like it sounded like a different IEM, just the spiky edges in the treble had been chamfered.

On another note, since I have the FD5s and I'm interested in the H7, are they a good combo? I was also thinking of investing in either the UM Mest Mk2 (I've seen the glowing review above of the combo!), Penon Volt, or FAudio Spring to go with the H7, does anyone have any notable experience with these?
The H7 is a wonderful sounding machine so there is no shortage of synergies waiting for you... with the FD5 you go in the direction of the IER-Z1R with its powerful sound and huge soundstage while with the Mest MKII you go towards a sound rich in details and nuances . This is the next iem that I will try with the H7... it arrived this afternoon and needs a bit of running in, but from the first notes you can feel an excellent balance so it will be perfect for the H7. If I can give you some advice, if I were you, I would first equip myself with a device like the H7 which can be the basis for all your future purchases (iem) and it is not certain (in fact it is said) that it will make you rediscover all the iem that you own in a new light. For completeness, the iem below is the PULA PA02... truly an iem that goes MUCH beyond its 175 euros.

pula pa02.jpg

Feb 5, 2024 at 12:02 PM Post #1,090 of 1,116
I can also say that I have finally found the perfect synergy between my AMT-16s and the H7.

I complained that the sound was "flat" and lacked a wide stage, and had a 2khz pinna gain that led to shoutiness. but I felt that there was still something special as the detail was just incredible and on another level, I just had to keep experimenting until I found the right synergy, even if it meant applying EQ.
It was a combo of multiple things that fixed the problem, but coincidentally, none of it had anything to do with the H7. All the required changes I had to make were with the AMT-16 (IEM) side.

- The AMT-16 has a natural rise in the 2.5kHz region. I assumed changing to a copper cable would help this. And it did, it created a smoother sound, but it came at the expense of microdetail, and I just couldn't accept that trade-off. So I went back to my SPC cable, and figured I'd deal with the 2.5Khz gain another way.
- the 2.5khz peak got addresed by changing to a narrow bore ear-tips, as was suggested by @Polky74. They fit my ear perfectly which also results in a perfect seal, which as we all know, also results in better bass.
- but it still sounded too flat. I didn't get it, from the reviews of the AMT-16 this didn't seem to be something people complained about. But the AMT-16 come with various bores you can swap. I went with the narrowest bore it offered, 5.5 * 2.7, when I was using a mid-sized bore previously based on a review I read. Once I changed bores, it all came together like magic. I FINALLY had note weight, subbass I could "feel", the sound stage opened up, and everything was silky smooth yet detailed at the same time. I couldn't believe what a transformation simply changing the bore did, but it was the final piece.

Now, the AMT-16 + H7 is magic. Unlike anything I've heard. Easily the most satisfying gear purchase I've made in recent memory. I go to sleep at night listening to music in pure awe of what I'm experiencing. That's the difference between just mid-fi and true hi-fi. Listening to music, especially the right kind of music (imo jazz/instrumental w/ female vocals are the most surreal), is an EXPERIENCE. The AMT sound is just so unique, and the H7 is able to bring out the best elements of it.
Highly highly highly recommended. But understand to get the most out of it, you need to be either lucky you get great synergy from the start, or prepare to experiment to find the best balance. But I think with what H7 offers, it can bring out the best in nearly an IEM. It's not overly warm, overly bright, yet it strikes this perfect balance of being analytical/highly detailed, yet musical & "emotional" at the same time. I don't know how shanling pulled it off honestly. You just need to be willing to experiment to find the right balance for your IEM.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2024 at 7:16 PM Post #1,091 of 1,116
The H7 is a wonderful sounding machine so there is no shortage of synergies waiting for you... with the FD5 you go in the direction of the IER-Z1R with its powerful sound and huge soundstage while with the Mest MKII you go towards a sound rich in details and nuances . This is the next iem that I will try with the H7... it arrived this afternoon and needs a bit of running in, but from the first notes you can feel an excellent balance so it will be perfect for the H7. If I can give you some advice, if I were you, I would first equip myself with a device like the H7 which can be the basis for all your future purchases (iem) and it is not certain (in fact it is said) that it will make you rediscover all the iem that you own in a new light. For completeness, the iem below is the PULA PA02... truly an iem that goes MUCH beyond its 175 euros.

pula pa02.jpg
I appreciate the advice! My thoughts were to get hold of the H7 and use it with what I already have for a little while before jumping into getting another IEM, so given your advice I think that is the way to go. I will try to be active in my impressions once I have ordered and received it!

Feb 6, 2024 at 2:36 AM Post #1,092 of 1,116
I appreciate the advice! My thoughts were to get hold of the H7 and use it with what I already have for a little while before jumping into getting another IEM, so given your advice I think that is the way to go. I will try to be active in my impressions once I have ordered and received it!
Get ready to live an extraordinary experience, with the H7 you will reach, with a fraction of the price normally asked for that level of performance, a very high level. Then, when you calmly feel the unstoppable desire to complete the picture with an excellent quality IEM... know that it is no longer necessary to spend thousands of euros/dollars. There will be the PULA PA02 which, a bit like the H7 does towards the Totl DAPs, will allow you to have a comparable experience for a truly ridiculous price.

Mar 11, 2024 at 5:34 PM Post #1,093 of 1,116
After a few months of enjoying the H5 I was able to trade her in for an H7. I loved my H5 so I can’t wait to lose myself in this H7.

IMG_3949.jpeg

Mar 12, 2024 at 3:16 AM Post #1,094 of 1,116
So far it’s everything hoped it would be! If you are using usb input I highly recommend trying this DDHiFi cable out. Amazing 3D presentation. Reminds me of a WireWorld Platinum usb cable at a fraction of the cost. The Shanling L3 is really good but this is next level. Twister6 Review

Attachments

• IMG_0221.jpeg
    IMG_0221.jpeg
    53.6 KB · Views: 0
Mar 13, 2024 at 3:57 AM Post #1,095 of 1,116
So far it’s everything hoped it would be! If you are using usb input I highly recommend trying this DDHiFi cable out. Amazing 3D presentation. Reminds me of a WireWorld Platinum usb cable at a fraction of the cost. The Shanling L3 is really good but this is next level. Twister6 Review
Absolutely recommend it. I have both long and short versions of tc09.Will notice immediate sq improvements in details,sound stage and airier presentation especially.Very good quality materials used, but the cable is stiff but i prefer it that way.A must buy for H7.I recommend longer version for H7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back