Shanling Streamers - EM5 & NEW EA5 Plus
Jan 13, 2024 at 6:52 AM Post #841 of 896
Strange thing. I use Amazon Music with no problem at all. Only eddict player I think needs some Upgrades.
Have you got a Prime subscription or a Music Unlimited subscription?
I suspect that the latter works regularly with the EM5, while, with Prime, there is a software problem.
If you have a Prime subscription and no problem, then there is something wrong with my specific machine.

However, my EM5 regularly plays Spotify even with a free subscription.
My Amazon Prime subscription allows me to play music everywhere but not from the Shanling.
As I mentioned, I use regularly Apple Music for my HD listening and that one - fingers crossed - works well.
I do not understand why the Amazon app, whose earlier release worked regularly on the EM5 with a Prime subscription, is no longer working.
This problem is now several months old: at the beginning, I was told that a new firmware was arriving, so I waited, instead of doing a factory reset.
After the update, the problem remained, and @Shanling said that they would have double checked with their phantasmal software team one month ago circa.

_____​

Final thoughts
It's not only the Amazon matter, which I would consider a minor problem.
I experienced any kind of troubles with the EM5 software, while several advertised features proved available only with significant limitations.
- Eddict app is the most unstable and unreliable application I have ever used in my whole life.
- Remote control on the phone/tablet is flimsy, unstable, the mirrored screen image is not adaptive, too small, unreadable, commands are often refused.
- When it works, the software is slow.
- The touch screen on the top of the machine is too small, touches are often not recognized and should be repeated.
- EQ works with local music only (untold limit, no solution expected for this). Because of the limits of the touchscreen, manual regulations are a real pain. Preset EQ curves are ridiculous.
- The VU-meter feature works with local music only (untold limit, no solution expected for this).
- Android 7 based system proved obsolete. The choice was probably due to the limits of the processor used. Shanling denies this. How can I trust them?
- Closed android system makes the user fully subject to the Shanling decisions (and market priorities) and gives no flexibility to the user.

It's my fault, however, because I chose a complicated machine and I trusted a niche Chinese company: I was emotionally caught up by the promise of a smooth sound signature and by the design, and I went buying the EM5 abroad when it wasn't yet distributed in my Country (Italy), instead of going simple for reliable mainstream DAC/AMP components. I took the risk. I failed.

SQ proved good. But it can be obtained at the same price (or even less) with much less headaches.
My mistake was to under estimate how annoying can be the experience of a beta released product, sold as the ultimate all-in-one solution.
So I didn't return the device immediately to the online shop. Again, my fault.
And I still like the shape and the sound of the machine. But it's definitely not enough to be happy with the EM5.

My advice to everybody for their future purchases is KISS: keep it simple stupid and buy mainstream...

...Or buy a mint 10-month used EM5 from me.
Now I'm tired.

Ciao

20230215_084408.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 7:35 AM Post #842 of 896
Have you got a Prime subscription or a Music Unlimited subscription?
I suspect that the latter works regularly with the EM5, while, with Prime, there is a software problem.
If you have a Prime subscription and no problem, then there is something wrong with my specific machine.

However, my EM5 regularly plays Spotify even with a free subscription.
My Amazon Prime subscription allows me to play music everywhere but not from the Shanling.
As I mentioned, I use regularly Apple Music for my HD listening and that one - fingers crossed - works well.
I do not understand why the Amazon app, whose earlier release worked regularly on the EM5 with a Prime subscription, is no longer working.
This problem is now several months old: at the beginning, I was told that a new firmware was arriving, so I waited, instead of doing a factory reset.
After the update, the problem remained, and @Shanling said that they would have double checked with their phantasmal software team one month ago circa.

_____​

Final thoughts
It's not only the Amazon matter, which I would consider a minor problem.
I experienced any kind of troubles with the EM5 software, while several advertised features proved available only with significant limitations.
- Eddict app is the most unstable and unreliable application I have ever used in my whole life.
- Remote control on the phone/tablet is flimsy, unstable, the mirrored screen image is not adaptive, too small, unreadable, commands are often refused.
- When it works, the software is slow.
- The touch screen on the top of the machine is too small, touches are often not recognized and should be repeated.
- EQ works with local music only (untold limit, no solution expected for this). Because of the limits of the touchscreen, manual regulations are a real pain. Preset EQ curves are ridiculous.
- The VU-meter feature works with local music only (untold limit, no solution expected for this).
- Android 7 based system proved obsolete. The choice was probably due to the limits of the processor used. Shanling denies this. How can I trust them?
- Closed android system makes the user fully subject to the Shanling decisions (and market priorities) and gives no flexibility to the user.

It's my fault, however, because I chose a complicated machine and I trusted a niche Chinese company: I was emotionally caught up by the promise of a smooth sound signature and by the design, and I went buying the EM5 abroad when it wasn't yet distributed in my Country (Italy), instead of going simple for reliable mainstream DAC/AMP components. I took the risk. I failed.

SQ proved good. But it can be obtained at the same price (or even less) with much less headaches.
My mistake was to under estimate how annoying can be the experience of a beta released product, sold as the ultimate all-in-one solution.
So I didn't return the device immediately to the online shop. Again, my fault

Unfortunately, I agree with everything you say. The only difference is that I already bought it used and found this forum afterwards. I feel like we will needlessly wait for the miracle. Unfortunately, it's sad that no one is happy with the software because of idiotic bugs. Yesterday I even bought a tablet to make the picture bigger.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 9:19 AM Post #844 of 896
Hi guys,

Your pain is fully understood here.
I experienced everything that is described with the 14 days of purchase and was wse enough to take the thing back.
A I already said numerous times, all problems would be sorted if Shanling would open up their device to third party apps.
But for some obscure reasons, they decided to not have a rescue start-up system (probably because that would have mede the device more expensive).
And they want to avoid bricked devices.
That is fully understandable...
BUT that should be advertised and said explicitely !

And it leaves of course 2 questions :
- how comes other manufacturers manage to offer a device with a newer Android version, a bigger screen, a higher SOC, more features and with a fully open Android installed for a lesser price ?
- how comes the "software team" is so slow at fixing things when they can be fixed, when that same other manufacturer manages to offer fixes within weeks of customer request ?

As you have all noticed, Shalings inteventions are getting rare here... And thye seem to not reply anymore. I can imagine the Shanling representative, who is not the culprit for all this, is tired of answering to our posts, especially mine, that tend to be somewhat agressive sometimes. But even when they are not : no reply. I made some suggestions about how Eddict could be improved on a thread for another device in this site about 6 days ago... Not a single reply. Duly noted...

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 10:29 AM Post #845 of 896
Hi guys,

Your pain is fully understood here.
I experienced everything that is described with the 14 days of purchase and was wse enough to take the thing back.
A I already said numerous times, all problems would be sorted if Shanling would open up their device to third party apps.
But for some obscure reasons, they decided to not have a rescue start-up system (probably because that would have mede the device more expensive).
And they want to avoid bricked devices.
That is fully understandable...
BUT that should be advertised and said explicitely !

And it leaves of course 2 questions :
- how comes other manufacturers manage to offer a device with a newer Android version, a bigger screen, a higher SOC, more features and with a fully open Android installed for a lesser price ?
- how comes the "software team" is so slow at fixing things when they can be fixed, when that same other manufacturer manages to offer fixes within weeks of customer request ?

As you have all noticed, Shalings inteventions are getting rare here... And thye seem to not reply anymore. I can imagine the Shanling representative, who is not the culprit for all this, is tired of answering to our posts, especially mine, that tend to be somewhat agressive sometimes. But even when they are not : no reply. I made some suggestions about how Eddict could be improved on a thread for another device in this site about 10 days ago... Not a single reply. Duly noted...
I don't think open Android will solve everything. Tidal connect wouldn't exist because of that, edict player would still be there and every step back using the floating button would be just as annoying. Knowing all this that there will be such problems, I don't think I will buy it. Now I have a Bluetooth speakerphone with a display at home. it works flawlessly. That's just not what I intended €700 for. It could be quite a great streamer if he finally didn't have a diaper on and learned to walk on his own. Im sorry @Shanling (user) this is not from you...

Jan 13, 2024 at 10:41 AM Post #846 of 896
I don't think open Android will solve everything. Tidal connect wouldn't exist because of that, edict player would still be there and every step back using the floating button would be just as annoying. Knowing all this that there will be such problems, I don't think I will buy it. Now I have a Bluetooth speakerphone with a display at home. it works flawlessly. That's just not what I intended €700 for. It could be quite a great streamer if he finally didn't have a diaper on and learned to walk on his own. Im sorry @Shanling (user) this is not from you...
Hi,
Well a more recent Android version (A10 or later) and the ability to install third party app would solve problems I think.
And I do think so because I also bought the Fiio R7 and all I can say is that it works flawlessly. And if not out of the box, then with the aid of simple third party apps.
And you'd probably be able to install something you get tidal connect...
Regards

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 3:14 AM Post #847 of 896
...a more recent Android version (A10 or later) and the ability to install third party app would solve problems I think.
Why not? My personal opinion is:
- Other manufacturers launched similar Android products later on the market with newer versions of Android and a wider choice of processors to support it, not to mention a longer experience. These machines, however, do not necessarily sound better tan the Shanling, but perhaps they have less software problems.
- Earlier streamers, Android based or not, all showed serious problems in a way or another. Not only Shanling, but several streamers below 1000 USD proved failures: SMSL, Topping, Audiolab: excellent sounding machines with a crap software inside; and among the most successful and expensive ones, e.g. Cocktail Audio and even Rose are everything but perfect, with pages and pages of problems reported on their forums.
- Shanling EM/EA 5 came with an old Android version which is likely the heaviest its processor could support, and a processor which was the best they could get without making the machine too expensive when they designed it.
It's unlikely we will ever enjoy an open and newer Android operating system, simply because this would imply a new and more powerful CPU and, basically, a re-engineered machine.
In the meantime, though, Shanling should admit their mistake and offer their customer a better and more effective assistance.
But you see what we have here.
If they weren't who they are, they should retire the EM5 and return a fully maintained machine to their customers.
That's what a serious factory should do.
Unfortunatley, most of the Hi-Fi users are affected by a serious form of confirmation bias and marketing people at Shanling (like everywhere) are aware of it. So, most of the user who paid more than 850 bucks for a faulty machine will never admit to be ripped off and they will carry on claiming that they chose the best sounding machine of world, even if they have to reboot their devices five times a day in order to get it...
So, crappy software machines are what we are likely to expect, especially when looking for complicated devices like streamers.

Ciao

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 4:05 AM Post #848 of 896
Nem hiszem, hogy a nyitott Android mindent megold. Emiatt a Tidal connect nem létezne, az edict player továbbra is ott lenne, és minden visszalépés a lebegő gomb használatával ugyanolyan bosszantó lenne. Mindezek tudatában, hogy lesznek ilyen gondok, nem hiszem, hogy megveszem. Most van otthon egy Bluetooth kihangosítóm kijelzővel. hibátlanul működik. Csak nem erre szántam a 700 eurót. Nagyon jó szalag lehet belőle, ha végre nem lenne rajta pelenkája, és megtanulna egyedül járni. Sajnálom, @Shanling (felhasználó) ez nem tőled származik...
@Shanling , is not possible to add to Cloud Service options Tidal? In Eddict player. Spotify with this function work perfectly.

Jan 14, 2024 at 4:26 AM Post #849 of 896
Why not? My personal opinion is:
- Other manufacturers launched similar Android products later on the market with newer versions of Android and a wider choice of processors to support it, not to mention a longer experience. These machines, however, do not necessarily sound better tan the Shanling, but perhaps they have less software problems.
- Earlier streamers, Android based or not, all showed serious problems in a way or another. Not only Shanling, but several streamers below 1000 USD proved failures: SMSL, Topping, Audiolab: excellent sounding machines with a crap software inside; and among the most successful and expensive ones, e.g. Cocktail Audio and even Rose are everything but perfect, with pages and pages of problems reported on their forums.
- Shanling EM/EA 5 came with an old Android version which is likely the heaviest its processor could support, and a processor which was the best they could get without making the machine too expensive when they designed it.
It's unlikely we will ever enjoy an open and newer Android operating system, simply because this would imply a new and more powerful CPU and, basically, a re-engineered machine.
In the meantime, though, Shanling should admit their mistake and offer their customer a better and more effective assistance.
But you see what we have here.
If they weren't who they are, they should retire the EM5 and return a fully maintained machine to their customers.
That's what a serious factory should do.
Unfortunatley, most of the Hi-Fi users are affected by a serious form of confirmation bias and marketing people at Shanling (like everywhere) are aware of it. So, most of the user who paid more than 850 bucks for a faulty machine will never admit to be ripped off and they will carry on claiming that they chose the best sounding machine of world, even if they have to reboot their devices five times a day in order to get it...
So, crappy software machines are what we are likely to expect, especially when looking for complicated devices like streamers.

Ciao

Hi,

Exactly what I already wrote whenI got one of those about 18 months ago and nothing has chenged ever since.
Glad I returned it within the 15 days I was entitled to return it.

But there is a machine that can easily be considered as something that is almost close to perfection when you consider it's features and support from manufacturer.
And that is the Fiio R7 and Fiio R9 that Shanling should take as an example... instead of the half finished and thought of Onix Miracle they distribute in their "brands".

I happen to also have a Fiio R7 (that I am now selling to get the R9).
And the R7 offers everything we should have been given by the EM5/EA5 :
- big display ;
- landscape or portrait display ;
- more recent SoC ;
- Android 10 that will be upgraded to Android 12 in the next months ;
- systemwide EQ ;
- open Android allowing to install all third party-apps ;
- lower price than the EA5/EM5...

But sound : not as good as Shanling EH-3 and (from what I can remember) also not as good as EM5/EA5).

So I a now waiting for the R9 (I will probably order one) and hope it will sound closer to Shanling devices.

BUT : what I can say from experience (and that is what I recommended to other manufacturer from China when I was asked about their new streaming device) : hardware is important ; but you can have the best hardware you want, if you ruin the experience with bad software, you'll just have bricks to prevent a door slamming... And that is what they did : fully comply to UPnP/DLNA standards and let third party-software do the job.

Fiio with the R7/R9 line is between both : they provide their own solution ; but if that does not fit your needs, they allow to use whatever you want. I have yet to see something not functioning in the Fiio, be it out-of-the-box or with the aid of third party software.

TO ALL USERS OF EA5/EM5 : here is atip that might be a savior...
I think the EA5/EM5 is discovered by Android third-party software as a renderer.
Here is what you can try :

STEP 1 : installation (done once)
On your smartphone install both apps :
- Neutron
- mConnect (or BubbleUPnP or UAPP).

STEP 2 : configure Neutron (done once)
- in Neutron, you have to enable two settings :
a) go to "settings => "Network" and enable "Media renderer (UPnP/DLNA)"
b) go to "Settings => Output to..". => choose Shanling EA5/EM5 then long press the EA5/EH5 and select "Auto connect" (first choice)

STEP 3 : configure mConnect (or any other player but I recommend mConnect)
First : hit "Play to" at the far right bottom edge. There you should select "Neutron" that now appears as a renderer.
Second, hit "Browser" at the bottom of the display, and select your media server (even the EA5/EM5 if that is available) ;
Third : Browse to the desired folder and hit "Play all"...

If all went well, you should be able to play to the Shanling EA5/EM5...
Nice thing is : in Neutron you can enable equalization and the sound will be transmitted with EQ applied...

Hope this can help you people to enjoy the EA5/EM5 even though your trust is already gone in that brand and for good reasons...

Regards.

Jan 14, 2024 at 4:30 AM Post #850 of 896
@Shanling , is not possible to add to Cloud Service options Tidal? In Eddict player. Spotify with this function work perfectly.
Oh...

You're still looking for help from the Shanling software team ?
Give up hope :frowning2:

They will NEVER add any streaming service... or Cloud service.

They are already working on the new Onix Miracle (5k€) or their new CD/Streamer they want to sell for 18K€ (no kiddin').
So they'll work on the EM5/EA5 only when there is time to waste...

A decent brand would not be that frantic at launching new produts, but would polish the edges to make sure to launch a fullfunctional product.
We do not have that. We will not have it at any point.
So what we have to do is find workarounds.
I suggested one in my previous post...
It works on the EH-3 it may work on the EA5/EM5.

Regards.

Jan 14, 2024 at 4:57 AM Post #851 of 896
For some reason Tidal is only available in Cloud services on Apple devices. I get it through my iphone, but not through my Samsung tablet.

Jan 14, 2024 at 5:08 AM Post #852 of 896
For some reason Tidal is only available in Cloud services on Apple devices. I get it through my iphone, but not through my Samsung tablet.
This is the next excellent solution from him. Im buy Android tablet three day back... I get idea for solution all Sanling problems. I'll sell it to hell too...

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 9:04 PM Post #853 of 896
I tried to change the quality settings, but it is not possible when connected via cable, I changed it to 16-bit via wifi, SRC 48khz, but the digital output is still muted when I play MQA.I did something wrong?

Next issue , I had with my Headpones. Error message: pairing rejected. I have Bowers & Wilkins PX

Will need to check on t his further with engineers, MQA systems are unfortunately causing lots of these problems.

In these situation we would recommend a factory reset of Bluetooth headphones and pairing them directly with EM5.

@ Shanling
Update and more detailed information about Amazon App not working on EM5 with an Amazon Prime Subscription.
The app actually works with "podcast" only.
If I try to select "music", a message appears that my app is not updated (picture enclosed).
Literally, the message translated from Italian is:
"Your app is not updated. Download the updated version to access to the most recent release of Amazon Music for Prime customers".
Once again, according to Amazon, Amazon Prime Music should work on any Android device (and actually works flawless everywhere but the EM5.
Please, double check with your software team and let me know.
I can certainly live without Amazon Prime Music, since I have Apple Music which I prefer, but I can also live without the EM5, and listen everything from any other source. I'm sure you understand.

Ok, this is important news, we will push software team to update the EM5 Amazon app over this.
Can you please tell us which app version on your other devices works properly with your Amazon Prime account?

@Shanling ,it is very annoying that the equalizer is not available for Android applications. Do something with that too. Maybe put in an application. The hardware is very good, but these crap like the digital output and going back in the menus or the equalizer, and unfortunately there are some of them, make the user tired.

This would require System wide EQ integration, which is quite complicated and not something we currently offer on any of our Android devices.

As you have all noticed, Shalings inteventions are getting rare here... And thye seem to not reply anymore. I can imagine the Shanling representative, who is not the culprit for all this, is tired of answering to our posts, especially mine, that tend to be somewhat agressive sometimes. But even when they are not : no reply. I made some suggestions about how Eddict could be improved on a thread for another device in this site about 6 days ago... Not a single reply. Duly noted...

Your suggestions were repeat of topics previously discussed, so we were in no haste to reply to them right away. We posted there this morning.

Our software team is now working with Tidal on further implementation of Tidal and Tidal Connect into our devices and apps, we hope to see improvement in near future.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 16, 2024 at 3:13 AM Post #854 of 896
Ok, this is important news, we will push software team to update the EM5 Amazon app over this.
Can you please tell us which app version on your other devices works properly with your Amazon Prime account?
@Shanling

Amazon App version 24.1.1 OTA (#100114) is regularly working on my Samsung S22 (Android 14).
Just in case you are wondering, version 9.5.2.2478 is regularly working on my mid 2015 MacBook 15" (MacOs Monterey 12.7.2).
No problem with both in playing music with a Prime subscription.

Rgds

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2024 at 12:22 AM Post #855 of 896
@Shanling

Amazon App version 24.1.1 OTA (#100114) is regularly working on my Samsung S22 (Android 14).
Just in case you are wondering, version 9.5.2.2478 is regularly working on my mid 2015 MacBook 15" (MacOs Monterey 12.7.2).
No problem with both in playing music with a Prime subscription.

Rgds
I do not use Amazon but I hope your problem will get fixed...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back