Shanling UA4 - Portable USB DAC/AMP with Newest ESS DAC, Full screen and Hardware Buttons
Jan 17, 2024 at 5:02 AM Post #121 of 165
I'm not sure why your first message in the UA4 thread has right away such negative outlook, but I will gladly assist you with troubleshooting this.

When playing in Foobar, can you tell us which Output and SACD plugin options you have set? Maybe screenshot.
Have you tested it just on one computer or more?
Does UA4 show correctly the DSD128 on its screen?

I just tried on Windows 10 machine, USB Driver V2.4, following settings in Foobar, and got no issue with DSD128 or DSD2526 playback.
Will try Windows 11 tomorrow.

I changed the buffer size to 4096 samples in the ASIO Control Panel, it does seem to help minimize the crackles and distortions. The default buffer size is 1024 samples which I assume is enough for PCM playback. Using 2048 samples still produce crackles and distortions, while 8096 samples eliminates the crackles and distortions but introduce delay.

If I want to play safe, I just stick to DSD64. But using the solution I mention above solve the problem for this moment. I'll report back if I found anything new.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2024 at 10:24 PM Post #122 of 165
It's the desired processing of MQA format. No way to turn it off.

Questions:
1. Is UA4 really able to unfold MQA 16x?
2. Is UA4 only support MQA renderer or full decoder?

From what I've tested,

First, using both Windows 11 PC & Macbook Pro,
- Using Tidal, already set to exclusive, but UA4 can only show MQA when Passthrough MQA is disabled, if it set enabled it won't display MQA logo, it will only show PCM without the MQA logo, which makes me assume that the device doesn't have the decoding capability. When Passthrough MQA is disabled, the MQA can only do first unfold, which can only output either 88.2kHz or 96kHz as shown on the UA4's display no matter what the MQA track is.
- Using Roon, no matter using WASAPI exclusive or ASIO, the result is the same as Tidal. I have to enable MQA core decoder and set the MQA as renderer only, or else it won't show the MQA logo. And when MQA logo is shown it can only output either 88.2kHz or 96kHz, no 3-16x unfold same as Tidal.

Second, using Samsung S22 Ultra,
- Using Tidal, already set Max for playback quality and gave the permission when the USB is plugged. The result was instead of MQA output, it just select the highest sample rate the phone is capable, this behave just like Qobuz, in my case 192kHz. No MQA logo, just PCM with highest sample rates the phone is capable, while on @arczangel case he/she mention that his/her UA4 displayed 384kHz.
- Using USB Audio Player Pro, if bit perfect is set to enabled it will show MQA logo, but it can only output either 88.2kHz or 96kHz.

So, my next questions,
3. Is it Tidal's problem?
4. Is it the firmware's or driver's problem?
5. Or I'm just doing it wrong?

If it's Tidal's problem then I won't complain. But if it's the device problem, then hopefully it can be solved so I didn't waste my money.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2024 at 12:58 AM Post #123 of 165
Questions:
1. Is UA4 really able to unfold MQA 16x?
2. Is UA4 only support MQA renderer or full decoder?

From what I've tested,

First, using both Windows 11 PC & Macbook Pro,
- Using Tidal, already set to exclusive, but UA4 can only show MQA when Passthrough MQA is disabled, if it set enabled it won't display MQA logo, it will only show PCM without the MQA logo, which makes me assume that the device doesn't have the decoding capability. When Passthrough MQA is disabled, the MQA can only do first unfold, which can only output either 88.2kHz or 96kHz as shown on the UA4's display no matter what the MQA track is.
- Using Roon, no matter using WASAPI exclusive or ASIO, the result is the same as Tidal. I have to enable MQA core decoder and set the MQA as renderer only, or else it won't show the MQA logo. And when MQA logo is shown it can only output either 88.2kHz or 96kHz, no 3-16x unfold same as Tidal.

Second, using Samsung S22 Ultra,
- Using Tidal, already set Max for playback quality and gave the permission when the USB is plugged. The result was instead of MQA output, it just select the highest sample rate the phone is capable, this behave just like Qobuz, in my case 192kHz. No MQA logo, just PCM with highest sample rates the phone is capable, while on @arczangel case he/she mention that his/her UA4 displayed 384kHz.
- Using USB Audio Player Pro, if bit perfect is set to enabled it will show MQA logo, but it can only output either 88.2kHz or 96kHz.

So, my next questions,
3. Is it Tidal's problem?
4. Is it the firmware's or driver's problem?
5. Or I'm just doing it wrong?

If it's Tidal's problem then I won't complain. But if it's the device problem, then hopefully it can be solved so I didn't waste my money.

PS: This is the first DAC that I own that said it has MQA support. Fortunately I only bought devices that has display. Cause it makes me wonder what about the other DAC that doesn't have display that only show colors to distinguish playback sample rates, cause what if it shows MQA color but in reality it only did first unfold instead of 3-16x unfold and the person can't see it cause it didn't have display. Unless the person using audio player like USB Audio Pro on Android or Roon on PC they'll never know.

On Windows, UA4 works together with Tidal app to achieve the full 16x unfolding. Tidal app does first unfolding and UA4 other 8x.
Tidal app must be set to Passthrough OFF to have it working correctly.
If set this way, UA4 will indicate MQA playback with MQA logo moving across the screen, with 88.2 or 96 kHz show under it.

Similar MQA implementation was used on our older UP5.
It differs from the way how our other models process MQA.

UA4 acts as MQA renderer, same as other USB DACs.
For MQA Full decoder you need to look at devices such as Shanling H5/H7 or our portable players.

We are checking on the Android Tidal app, we saw some problems with the V2.96 version this week. At Tidal they keep adjusting how the Tidal MAX outputs from the app.

If you are getting MQA logo and 88.2/96kHz with UAPP, the output is working correctly at its full MQA capabilities.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 21, 2024 at 12:21 AM Post #124 of 165
On Windows, UA4 works together with Tidal app to achieve the full 16x unfolding. Tidal app does first unfolding and UA4 other 8x.
Tidal app must be set to Passthrough OFF to have it working correctly.
If set this way, UA4 will indicate MQA playback with MQA logo moving across the screen, with 88.2 or 96 kHz show under it.

Similar MQA implementation was used on our older UP5.
It differs from the way how our other models process MQA.

UA4 acts as MQA renderer, same as other USB DACs.
For MQA Full decoder you need to look at devices such as Shanling H5/H7 or our portable players.

We are checking on the Android Tidal app, we saw some problems with the V2.96 version this week. At Tidal they keep adjusting how the Tidal MAX outputs from the app.

If you are getting MQA logo and 88.2/96kHz with UAPP, the output is working correctly at its full MQA capabilities.

These are screenshots from using USB Audio Player Pro and Roon,

photo_2024-01-21_12-00-08.jpg

Screenshot 2024-01-21 121147.png
This is using Hidizs S3 Pro, MQA is 8x unfolded.

photo_2024-01-21_12-00-12.jpg

Screenshot 2024-01-21 121551.png
While this is UA4. Doesn't even unfolding to 8x.

From what I've seen, UA4 doesn't seem to do anything at all regarding the MQA. So to me it's clear that the device must have some issue.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2024 at 5:49 AM Post #125 of 165

photo_2024-01-21_12-00-08.jpg

Screenshot 2024-01-21 121147.png

photo_2024-01-21_12-00-12.jpg

Screenshot 2024-01-21 121551.png

From what I've seen, UA4 doesn't seem to do anything at all regarding the MQA. So to me it's clear that the device must have some issue.
This is also what i Posted here, that the ua4 is not properly decoding mqa. I think UAPP and roon has no support on it so its only on 2x unfold in software.

Jan 21, 2024 at 8:35 PM Post #126 of 165

[/SPOILER]

[/SPOILER]

As long as you get the MQA logo showing on UA4, it's correctly unfolding MQA 16x (8x by device, 2x by software).

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 22, 2024 at 5:49 PM Post #128 of 165
What is 'exclusive usb mode' on the UA4 and how can i set it ?
In Windows you activate exclusive mode directly from the apps you use for streaming (Amazon/Qobuz/Tidal) or even on Foobar 2000 when you choose output just look for the one that says UA4 exclusive mode. On Android you just need to have administrator privileges on the device, activate USB debugging in administration tools and click on bit perfect on UAPP. Under Windows you must first install the specific drivers that you find on the Shanling website.

Feb 1, 2024 at 2:27 AM Post #129 of 165
Both the Shanling UA4 and the new FiiO KA17 share the ESS ES9069Q (two in the case of the FiiO) it would be nice if someone who owns both could do a comparison between the two. Obviously the power will inevitably be in favor of the FiiO (desktop mode) but which do you prefer in terms of audio quality and tone? Thank you.

Feb 1, 2024 at 3:55 AM Post #130 of 165
I have both: and both Shanling UA4 and FiiO KA17 are musically excellent for the price!
I'm not interested in power, only musicality and obviously the FiiO is superior:
- More refinement
- More clarity.
- More subtleties
- More legato
- Finer, more subtle details
- More distinct instruments and voices
- More overall dynamics too and dazzling transients
- No need to discuss bass, mids, treble, the music is there, nothing else and this with excellent image width and depth.
- And especially the air of the recording location, masterfully rendered.
- An extremely lively reproduction!

Feb 1, 2024 at 4:03 AM Post #131 of 165
I have both: and both Shanling UA4 and FiiO KA17 are musically excellent for the price!
I'm not interested in power, only musicality and obviously the FiiO is superior:
- More refinement
- More clarity.
- More subtleties
- More legato
- Finer, more subtle details
- More distinct instruments and voices
- More overall dynamics too and dazzling transients
- No need to discuss bass, mids, treble, the music is there, nothing else and this with excellent image width and depth.
- And especially the air of the recording location, masterfully rendered.
- An extremely lively reproduction!
So I assume that FiiO has a clearer and more energetic representation, or am I wrong? And if so by a good margin or a little? Thank you.

Feb 1, 2024 at 7:59 AM Post #132 of 165
Difficult to quantify! In music...
The KA17 is 50% more expensive, so 50% more music? Certainly not, but if the restitution of the UA4 is superb, KA17 is at higher level, naturally evident, airy, lively and beautiful.
I keep both: the UA4 has such a low electricity consumption and it is a great quality., does not heat up and ES9069Q DAC chip is an excellent component!

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 10:42 AM Post #133 of 165
PulWtop+UA4+RA2BFE+Timeless... it is truly a magical sound... details, naturalness, power, tonality... a truly remarkable mix. :wink:

timeless.jpg

Feb 4, 2024 at 3:31 PM Post #134 of 165
PulWtop+UA4+RA2BFE+Timeless... it is truly a magical sound... details, naturalness, power, tonality... a truly remarkable mix. :wink:

timeless.jpg
It's just a DAC. It's not that amazing. Using with Truthear Nova. I'm a sucker for trying different DACs. It ain't bad but it does nothing special. I should just spend more on headphones/iems.

Feb 4, 2024 at 5:05 PM Post #135 of 165
It's just a DAC. It's not that amazing. Using with Truthear Nova. I'm a sucker for trying different DACs. It ain't bad but it does nothing special. I should just spend more on headphones/iems.
A single piece cannot do what an entire chain does... yes, you're right... it's just a DAC but if you feed it well with a step-down switching power supply, you provide it with excellent amplification and in the end an IEM that let you appreciate it, you will feel that it is not like all the others... but for the price it is really very good. There are many dongles that don't offer even half of its performance for the same price. Then you are right that spending on iems is always a good thing... and if I were you I would start with an excellent PULA PA02 which doesn't cost much but offers truly special performances.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back