Technics EAH-AZ80 True Wireless Earbuds
Dec 26, 2023 at 8:44 AM Post #181 of 273
That’s an example of one of my “general listening” EQ settings for listening to something on Apple Music on a 14Pro at 24bit/44.1kHz Lossless.

If you listen to something like One Chance by knock2 & NGHTMRE, it has an extreme low-end, as well as, a crazy high-end that will easily get sibilant. You can tune the EQ to separate everything in the song easily, especially the sub-bass around the last 11 sec. of the song.

If you listen to the XM4/XM5 then compare the AZ80 directly using that sub-bass line, it’s represented much better, with more clarity, and can be heard more easily with the AZ80’s. Even with the low-end EQ’d all the way out of the 80’s, that sub-bass is noticeably more clear than with the Sony’s.

If you’re not hearing something comparable, maybe a different tip size would help out. 👍🏼
Its odd,, to increase the bass in the sony's you pull the sliders down and to increase the bass on the technics you slide them up.

I have my bass on full on the technics because there not as punchy as the xm4s and the tips are well sealed as I tried the large tips but didnt change the sound at all.. You guys said that the tips on the xm4s would fit the az80s but they dont as the nozzle are wider on the az80s
1703598229114.png

Dec 26, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #182 of 273
Its odd,, to increase the bass in the sony's you pull the sliders down and to increase the bass on the technics you slide them up.

I have my bass on full on the technics because there not as punchy as the xm4s and the tips are well sealed as I tried the large tips but didnt change the sound at all.. You guys said that the tips on the xm4s would fit the az80s but they dont as the nozzle are wider on the az80s
Sounds like you may have some kind of technical issue going on.

If I increased the bass that much on my 80’s you wouldn’t be able to listen to them. In order for me to get the same bass level out of the Sony XM5 as I do out of the AZ80 with the bass EQ’d all the way out of them, I have to use the Sony EQ and add +3 to the low end and set the clear bass at +4. If you have the EQ that high on the AZ80 then something is wrong with them. Either that, or check to make sure that all of the external EQ’s on Spotify, Apple Music, etc. are off, or at the very least, don’t have the low end EQ’d out.

Also, I did not mention that you could use the XM4 tips on the AZ80. I said you could use the AZ80 tips on the XM5.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2023 at 6:21 PM Post #183 of 273
Sounds like you may have some kind of technical issue going on.

If I increased the bass that much on my 80’s you wouldn’t be able to listen to them. In order for me to get the same bass level out of the Sony XM5 as I do out of the AZ80 with the bass EQ’d all the way out of them, I have to use the Sony EQ and add +3 to the low end and set the clear bass at +4. If you have the EQ that high on the AZ80 then something is wrong with them. Either that, or check to make sure that all of the external EQ’s on Spotify, Apple Music, etc. are off, or at the very least, don’t have the low end EQ’d out.

Also, I did not mention that you could use the XM4 tips on the AZ80. I said you could use the AZ80 tips on the XM5.
Ive just tried the largest tips and still no difference in bass, probably a little weaker and muggier if anything and the bass is exactly the same when connected to my PC? Are you sure your EQ is working properly because it that seem a little shocking that you need the sliders all the way down to kill the bass? If I pull the 2 sliders all the way down like yours, I still get some bass, but its empty and not a warm full sound.

Surely if the xm4 tips wont fit on the az80s, the tips would keep falling off putting az80 tips on the xm4, thats if the xm4 nozzles are the same as the xm5 nozzles?

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2023 at 4:07 AM Post #184 of 273
Ive just tried the largest tips and still no difference in bass, probably a little weaker and muggier if anything and the bass is exactly the same when connected to my PC? Are you sure your EQ is working properly because it that seem a little shocking that you need the sliders all the way down to kill the bass? If I pull the 2 sliders all the way down like yours, I still get some bass, but its empty and not a warm full sound.

Surely if the xm4 tips wont fit on the az80s, the tips would keep falling off putting az80 tips on the xm4, thats if the xm4 nozzles are the same as the xm5 nozzles?
Yes, the EQ is working properly. There are quite a few other people throughout this thread with the same experience that I have. I also have a second set of AZ80’s and they’re exactly the same sound as what I’ve described. There are also quite a few reviews and experiences elsewhere on the internet that share the same experience. It would seem that you’re the only circumstance that I’ve come across that reports subdued bass.

The AZ80 tips will fit on the XM5’s but not the other way around. The XM5’s also have a smaller diameter port than the AZ80, but the AZ80 tips fit just fine and take substantial effort to remove even with the smaller diameter.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2023 at 9:43 AM Post #185 of 273
Yes, the EQ is working properly. There are quite a few other people throughout this thread with the same experience that I have. I also have a second set of AZ80’s and they’re exactly the same sound as what I’ve described. There are also quite a few reviews and experiences elsewhere on the internet that share the same experience. It would seem that you’re the only circumstance that I’ve come across that reports subdued bass.

The AZ80 tips will fit on the XM5’s but not the other way around. The XM5’s also have a smaller diameter port than the AZ80, but the AZ80 tips fit just fine and take substantial effort to remove even with the smaller diameter.
Ummmm, I will try resetting them as the bass is ok, but I wouldnt mind a bit more so I can listen at low volume and still hear decent bass

Dec 27, 2023 at 5:33 PM Post #188 of 273
Weird, just tried on mine, increasing bass slider in EQ definitely boost low frequencies. Do you have any ANC active, what codec do you use?
AAC on iphone7. and no ANC. I do get plenty of bass but it could be better especially from 10mm drivers.

I have just tried the small tips too, but still very little difference in bass if anything, as I would thought the the smaller tip I try, the weaker the bass should be? but no, I have tried small, med, large, extra large and the bass stays pretty much the same, not overly bassy, but not weak either

I must phase Technics on there bud design though as these are the first buds that stay in my ears.. They are kind of like magnets and snap in my ears, even with using the small tips there not budging out of my ears.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #191 of 273
If possible, I would suggest exchanging them for a replacement pair, or registering them and contacting customer service for a replacement. It sounds like there may be something wrong with them.
Well Ive chatted to Panasonic about them, they have even read the posts on here, but they cant decide if there faulty or not. So they've said try and get a replacement from amazon

Dec 29, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #193 of 273
I believe the recent SW update actually improved Default preset, as it's noticeably less bass offensive than it's used to be.
Also treble is highly tips dependent, there is always Custom if Treble+ is too much for your ears and tips combo.
It is indeed much better, since then switched back to Default as Treble+ can be too shrill/harsh at times.

Dec 29, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #194 of 273
Am I doing the right thing sending these back for replacement because I bet the replacements wont be any difference,, plus I see there's pics of high EQ settings in the thread gallery, making me think theres nothing wrong with my az80's.??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back