Technics EAH-AZ80 True Wireless Earbuds
Jan 29, 2024 at 5:27 PM Post #212 of 265
Brilliant buds, thus far. Picked up a pair last week after learning that my bricked XM4s are no longer repairable due to a parts shortage. Sound, comfort and battery life are all excellent and while the app feels a bit clunky still to me, it's perfectly usable.

I do find these keep pausing with the "interrupt" feature, however. Will keep playing with the app and see if I can sort it out.

Jan 29, 2024 at 9:53 PM Post #213 of 265
Brilliant buds, thus far. Picked up a pair last week after learning that my bricked XM4s are no longer repairable due to a parts shortage. Sound, comfort and battery life are all excellent and while the app feels a bit clunky still to me, it's perfectly usable.

I do find these keep pausing with the "interrupt" feature, however. Will keep playing with the app and see if I can sort it out.
Yeah, I love mine. FInally sold my XM5s and have Zero Regrets. I actually find the Techniques App far simpler to navigate and I'm thnkful I could use it customize the tap controls to something that was intuitive and made sense to me, instead of being stuck with the an illogical sequence I couldn't remember (Sony) . When you say "interrupt" feature, what are you referring to? Notifications? I'm on Android and have none.

Jan 30, 2024 at 10:13 AM Post #215 of 265
Yeah, I love mine. FInally sold my XM5s and have Zero Regrets. I actually find the Techniques App far simpler to navigate and I'm thnkful I could use it customize the tap controls to something that was intuitive and made sense to me, instead of being stuck with the an illogical sequence I couldn't remember (Sony) . When you say "interrupt" feature, what are you referring to? Notifications? I'm on Android and have none.

I'm sure I'll get used to it. I'm on iOs, using 2-device multipoint, and find that the 80s pause playback, sometimes 2 or 3 times in a row, before settling in, and was wondering if there's a setting I'm not ... getting.

But it's a minor quibble. These are excellent, especially at their new price.

Jan 31, 2024 at 9:26 AM Post #216 of 265
Just a heads up guys,, these foam tips are quite good, they do fall apart after a few weeks though but, your getting 10 pairs for £13 though.. Btw only small and med size tips fits in the case.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/SONICFOAM-Memory-Foam-Earbud-Tips-SF1-Black-5-8-6-5mm-See-chart/dp/B09L7CX9JD/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1OW2O8QIF6MU&keywords=sf1+earbud+tips&qid=1703905733&sprefix=sf1+earbud+tips,aps,87&sr=8-3&th=1

Thanks for this Phil - glad I won't have to get rid of the SONICFOAM tips after having used XM4s.

I know it's generally subjective, but do we have any other go-to tip choices for these? I usually go for different sizes on each ear as one is larger than the other.

Jan 31, 2024 at 9:53 AM Post #217 of 265
Thanks for this Phil - glad I won't have to get rid of the SONICFOAM tips after having used XM4s.

I know it's generally subjective, but do we have any other go-to tip choices for these? I usually go for different sizes on each ear as one is larger than the other.
I've been using Azla Sedna Short and Azla Sedna Crystal (not the tws version} and they both Grip and sound beautiful with AZ80s and fit in the case no problem. Of course, slow rebound foam isolated better, but these Azla options sound rich full and completely unrestricted. In the gym, I don't even need the ANC. when I go cycling with these tips, ANC cuts all the wind noise and these tips still grip.

Jan 31, 2024 at 10:10 AM Post #218 of 265

The tips wont fit from the xm4s to the az80s,, you need the SF1 version of the SONICFOAM tips

Jan 31, 2024 at 10:50 AM Post #220 of 265
Another outlier that I didn’t put too much thought into was the AirPod Pro 2’s...
Thanks for sharing this!
Same here, when I decided to get my AZ80s I didn't consider AirPods at all.
But now...

I've spent a few weeks with AZ80s. And here is the outcome.
I'm completely satisfied with the sound signature. The only thing to mention is that in some songs the sound is pretty shrill, so it gets uncomfortable sometimes (not too often).

But I can't say I'm satisfied with the comfort. These are my first in-ear headphones, so maybe I'm just not yet used to having something actually in my ears, but I feel them pretty clearly, I would love to have a lighter feeling, to be honest

So after reading some opinions (including the one I'm replying to), I decided to give a try to AirPods Pro 2 (APP2s).
And here's what I'd like to share.

1. I like the sound signature of AZ80s over APP2s. Wider sound stage, deeper bass, and more prominent highs (like hi-hats). Sorry if my words are not professional enough to describe. But overall, music is more enjoyable with AZ80s.

2. Comfort-wise, APP2s are better for me. I suppose the comfort is a pretty subjective parameter, but APP2s push my ears less. They kind of don't go that deeply inside with the same sealing level.

3. The ANC in APP2s is remarkably better, compared when commuted by bus and ferry. There is a real difference.

4. The call quality from the microphones - APP2s are way much better, no doubt.
With AZ80s the person I talked to (while commuting) was suffering. And even though in general I was understandable, she would rather prefer to talk to me later, or to ask me to talk via the phone (not via the AZ80s). With APP2s it was a different story - even though some background noise was there, it was absolutely acceptable to continue the call. My voice was closer, cleaner, more natural, and was not muffled - so no suffering.
With the calls in a quiet environment, the difference is not that dramatic, but still there. You have no muffling with AZ80s, but it's still not as natural and clear as with APP2s.

So now I found myself in a situation where it's so hard to decide what to keep and what to return.
I'd like to use my TWS for commuting and for work calls (which I have a lot), so the advantage of APP2s is so powerful.
On the other hand, listening to the music is much more fun on AZ80s.
I might end up keeping both even though it was not planned to spend the double budget on my first TWS :grin:

UPD:
I forgot to mention above that overall the sound signature of APP2s surprised me - even though I like AZ80s more, the APP2s' sound turned out to be much better than I expected.
Also, I must admit their controls seem to be more reliable - no sensor touches but physical press actions and swipes for volume level. And the transparency mode is also much more natural than in AZ80s.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2024 at 10:51 AM Post #221 of 265
Hello audiophiles,

I'm looking to upgrade from Galaxy Buds+. They lack decent codecs, so the sound is quite compressed in high range using the AAC codec on my Pixel 8 Pro. In general I love the sound of them (although I do add a bit of treble in Wavelet EQ) and their fit, so I'm looking for similar sounding TWS. So far I've tried Galaxy Buds 2 Pro, Buds FE, Moondrop Space Travel, Linkbuds S and even the new Fidelio T2's. Fidelios sounded the worst to me (LDAC on, of course), EQ'ing them didn't help at all, too bloaty and not airy or brilliant enough. Linkbuds S were okay after EQ, but still not close to my Buds+. Moondrop Space Travel are good for the price, but again didn't fit my needs and lack good codecs. Same goes to Buds FE. Galaxy Buds 2 Pro sound amazing to me after EQ'ing them and enabling LE Audio, but the comfort is absolutely terrible, they hurt my ears after 10 minutes. Tried Spinfit CP360 eartips and they don't help.

So my question is, will the Technics AZ80's finally be the ones I'm looking for? From graphs that I've seen, enabling Treble+ preset should be what I'm looking for, but maybe someone coming from Galaxy Buds+ can confirm this for me? I also use the Fidelio X2HR's and absolutely love them after EQ. I like tight bass and airy, brilliant highs. Hopefully someone from you can help me. Thank you!

EDIT: I do not care about call quality or ANC, all I need is good sound with good comfort. Maybe you have some other recommendations for me.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2024 at 11:32 AM Post #222 of 265
Thanks for sharing this!
Same here, when I decided to get my AZ80s I didn't consider AirPods at all.
But now...

I've spent a few weeks with AZ80s. And here is the outcome.
I'm completely satisfied with the sound signature. The only thing to mention is that in some songs the sound is pretty shrill, so it gets uncomfortable sometimes (not too often).

But I can't say I'm satisfied with the comfort. These are my first in-ear headphones, so maybe I'm just not yet used to having something actually in my ears, but I feel them pretty clearly, I would love to have a lighter feeling, to be honest

So after reading some opinions (including the one I'm replying to), I decided to give a try to AirPods Pro 2 (APP2s).
And here's what I'd like to share.

1. I like the sound signature of AZ80s over APP2s. Wider sound stage, deeper bass, and more prominent highs (like hi-hats). Sorry if my words are not professional enough to describe. But overall, music is more enjoyable with AZ80s.

2. Comfort-wise, APP2s are better for me. I suppose the comfort is a pretty subjective parameter, but APP2s push my ears less. They kind of don't go that deeply inside with the same sealing level.

3. The ANC in APP2s is remarkably better, compared when commuted by bus and ferry. There is a real difference.

4. The call quality from the microphones - APP2s are way much better, no doubt.
With AZ80s the person I talked to (while commuting) was suffering. And even though in general I was understandable, she would rather prefer to talk to me later, or to ask me to talk via the phone (not via the AZ80s). With APP2s it was a different story - even though some background noise was there, it was absolutely acceptable to continue the call. My voice was closer, cleaner, more natural, and was not muffled - so no suffering.
With the calls in a quiet environment, the difference is not that dramatic, but still there. You have no muffling with AZ80s, but it's still not as natural and clear as with APP2s.

So now I found myself in a situation where it's so hard to decide what to keep and what to return.
I'd like to use my TWS for commuting and for work calls (which I have a lot), so the advantage of APP2s is so powerful.
On the other hand, listening to the music is much more fun on AZ80s.
I might end up keeping both even though it was not planned to spend the double budget on my first TWS :grin:

UPD:
I forgot to mention above that overall the sound signature of APP2s surprised me - even though I like AZ80s more, the APP2s' sound turned out to be much better than I expected.
Also, I must admit their controls seem to be more reliable - no sensor touches but physical press actions and swipes for volume level. And the transparency mode is also much more natural than in AZ80s.

Interesting and detailed comparo --thanks.

I also own both, and picked up the AZ80s as my travelling pair. I prefer the sound of the 80s overall, and find them more comfortable though, as you note, the AP2s don't poke as deeply into the ear canal (depending on tips used).

I do find the NC of the 80s to work better for me, possibly because they make a better seal. Street noise, subway and jet are all notable reduced over the AP2s.

Agree that AP2s are a bit easier to use control-wise and also more reliable in terms of connection for me than the AZ80s, at least within the iOS eco.

At around CAD 90.00 less than the AP2s, and 200.00 less than the XM5s, I think the 80s are excellent TW earphones and a very solid value, Pleased with mine and will certainly hang onto them.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2024 at 8:30 AM Post #223 of 265
The tips wont fit from the xm4s to the az80s,, you need the SF1 version of the SONICFOAM tips

Ah got it Phil, cheers for that.

I got my pair this week after abandoning my long-used XM4s (battery died) and returning a 2nd gen AirPods Pro (fit issue).

No audio expert here but these are sounding awkward to me - feels generally subdued, has an overall 'sounding from afar' kind of feel (using Dynamic EQ via the app), unsure how else to describe it. Not on the greatest of setups, regular 2022 MacBook Pro and an iPhone 13 Mini.

Very faint rumbling sound on the right pair - could it be a product issue or is it my undiagnosed tinnitus, also unsure.

Would really appreciate any of your additional insights - maybe help me differentiate why the XM4s sounded fuller in comparison?

Feb 19, 2024 at 12:23 PM Post #225 of 265
My Sedna tips just arrived, significantly SQ improve over default tips.
Same tips I'm using. Both the Sedna and Crystal work really well with my preference being the Sena which provides really balanced sound, open staging and preservation of the low end - and they Grip well too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back