The discovery thread!
Dec 11, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #68,716 of 104,900
I'm not following?
If you're expecting near perfection or no EQ necessary from the Aful Performer 5, that 10kHz dip makes it an audible non starter and people should look elsewhere for $220. Some reviewers aren't highlighting this, and some have.

Otherwise once you do handle it, it's a nice set and I'm happy with it.
I never liked using EQ cuz it degrades sound quality but I have noticed that some IEMs handle it better than others so it’s a fair assessment.

Dec 11, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #68,718 of 104,900
I saw this on Softears thread but didn’t recall seeing here, so just FYI.

Softears single dynamic CIEM Tremolo. Price is very high-end for a single DD. But seeing those high reputation of Softears’s single
DD going for sell your kidney pricing, maybe?
61A0E6A5-94F1-44C0-9A3F-FF7540A53D78.jpeg

Sunday afternoon, I just found one youtube video and watched it with Wu. Wu’s bass surely is great emotional amplifier.

“Memorial haka sent by students to their late teacher”
Haka | NZ’s ceremonial performance art by native Maori

Dec 11, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #68,721 of 104,900
Software EQ I mean
Same here. Knowing that latest EQs shall be more sophisticated. But I’ve grown up with those sloppy “Classical, Rock, Jazz” EQ or the EQ bar type which never sounded good to my experience when I was young, so those EQs are imprinted as “nay” in my library and has not been overwritten for ages. I take hardware EQ’s approach instead (ear tips, cables), and only software EQ I’m using is lowpass filter which basically changes timbre to various degree without changing frequency responses.

Ah, but for TWS, I’m a EQ’er. The latest EQ functions on AKG/Sennheiser apps somehow works to a certain degree.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #68,722 of 104,900
Dunu Talos is definitely my favorite planar so far when it comes to the design.

IMG_0027.jpg

1670784731711.jpeg

Sounds pretty good as well, though I found some nasality in male vocals. Not sure what that's about. Gonna try some tip-rolling first before forming further impressions.

Dec 11, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #68,723 of 104,900
I saw this on Softears thread but didn’t recall seeing here, so just FYI.

Softears single dynamic CIEM Tremolo. Price is very high-end for a single DD. But seeing those high reputation of Softears’s single
DD going for sell your kidney pricing, maybe?
61A0E6A5-94F1-44C0-9A3F-FF7540A53D78.jpeg

Sunday afternoon, I just found one youtube video and watched it with Wu. Wu’s bass surely is great emotional amplifier.

“Memorial haka sent by students to their late teacher”
Haka | NZ’s ceremonial performance art by native Maori

Softears never fails to disappoint me with their boutique prices.

Dec 11, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #68,724 of 104,900
It's a throwback! I got these for $25.00 + tax on sale a couple weeks back, so I decided to just take the nostalgia jump. Why not? $25.00! So they arrived, and for those who weren't on the Chinese IEM thread back in the day (these weren't covered very much in this thread back then), these are a CNT microdriver with a very small bullet shell. So far I tried the spiral dot tips, but they weren't optimal for me, so I switched to Spinfits, and they are a bit better sonically and comfort wise. The bass is as punchy as I remember it. Treble is very classy and has shimmer without it getting sibilant. Very natural tones. Mids are a teeny tad recessed, but nothing too bad. The soundstage is a bit smaller than I remember it being? Overall, not bad at all for what is a very budget IEM that's almost a decade old. These will make a fine beater.

Attachments

• IMG_1687.jpg
    IMG_1687.jpg
    390.9 KB · Views: 0
Dec 11, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #68,725 of 104,900
What an odd statement.

Every headphone, IEM, Pre amp, power amp or what not is TUNED and those tuners EQing that piece of hardware.

So, using EQ to fine tune an IEM - there is nothing wrong with it.

Obviously if you tune it completely upside down...

Cheers.

EQ introduces signal degradation. That’s why many of us don’t use it much.

Dec 11, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #68,726 of 104,900
Same here. Knowing that latest EQs shall be more sophisticated. But I’ve grown up with those sloppy “Classical, Rock, Jazz” EQ or the EQ bar type which never sounded good to my experience when I was young, so those EQs are imprinted as “nay” in my library and has not been overwritten for ages. I take hardware EQ’s approach instead (ear tips, cables), and only software EQ I’m using is lowpass filter which basically changes timbre to various degree without changing frequency responses.

Ah, but for TWS, I’m a EQ’er. The latest EQ functions on AKG/Sennheiser apps somehow works to a certain degree.
Not all EQs are high quality ones. The one in the Qudelix 5k is for instance:

https://www.qudelix.com/blogs/5k-dac-amp/equalizer

Comparative video review:

Dec 11, 2022 at 3:59 PM Post #68,728 of 104,900
I do PEQ when needed it and if it adds some degradation, it is minimal and unhearable for me. It can actually be a tool to save money or even find your endgame. Who knows EQing can achieve happiness in this hobby too :)

Totally, and to be clear, I’m not making any kind of value judgment. Use of EQ is a personal thing. Subjective, like so much of the hobby.

Dec 11, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #68,729 of 104,900

Same here on the past sloppy EQ. It made me very reluctant to use software EQ in these more modern times. But I found the the EQ system available in the Hiby softwear Hidizs uses it to be something entirely different and artfully nuanced in what it can do.

Dec 11, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #68,730 of 104,900
I think it will be more dependent on the nozzle length of IEMs. I just tried the Shuoer 12 pro and it has a shorter nozzle than most IEMs so the S&S tips dont work well. have to use Spiral dots on them in order to fit me. IEMS with medium to longer nozzles the S&S tips fit deeper and seals much better. So it will be more or less IEM dependent and your ear shapes.

For the IEMs that do work well with them, they are brilliant.

Update on the S&S tips:

They’re working on the Meaoes Eagle and the Tipsy Ttromso, both of which have relatively long nozzles. When they seal correctly they sound exceptionally good. Really natural and transparent. Very comfortable too. They’re so close to the correct size for me that even a couple mm would make them ideal. Like 11.8 or so. Regardless, unless and until DUNU chooses to make a larger size, these will absolutely stay on all my longer stem sets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back