The Fiio X3 Thread.
Apr 22, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #16,996 of 17,484
I recently bought a 128gb card for me X3 by the brand Integral. I formatted it and just called it the brand name. I have had it in the X3 for several weeks and it seemed to work fine whenever I wanted to add or delete anything.

What was strange was that the otehr day, I wanted to add some music and when I had put it on and unplugged the cable, it said to me every time, "file system not supported!". It then turned out that it wouldn't let me add or delete anything. I even tried taking the card out of my X3, putting it into a card reader and removing and album, I then put it back into my X3, to a medea library update and it apears that nothing has been deleted. I then plug it back into my PC and the album appears to be there again. I couldn't understand this. I at first I thought the card was playing up but I tried with another card and it did the same, it wouldn't let me add or delete anything without the stuff I add disapearing or the stuff I delete reapearing.

What did seem to solve it was formatting the card in the X3. I took everything off my 128gb card and put them onto my PC. I then put the card in the X3 ind selected storage formatting. This reformatted the card in the X3 and now everything seems to be fine and I can add and delete everything no problem.

Has anyone else had a similar issue?

I will just have to remember to format the card in the X3 although I thought if it was formatted to FAT32, it should be fine anyway.

Could me a matter of block size or something during the format process. I know with Windows formatters you can specify what size to use. Maybe yours wasn't completely compatible with the x3. Just remembering to format with the x3, like you mentioned, is probably the best way to avoid problems. The only card problems I've run into is after adding and deleting tracks quite a bit the database update will fail due to bad files which were ok last update. A reformat and recopy solves the problem but it is a bit of a pain - only seems to happen with my 32gb Sandisk card, so could be a card issue though

Apr 27, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #16,998 of 17,484
Hello guys,

I'm really close to buying this one or M3...

Which one would you guys recommend?

Which one does sound better?

Also, how would you compare this with iBasso DX100 in sound quality? 

Thanks..

Apr 28, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #16,999 of 17,484
I think the FIIO M3 (there are a lot of M3 nomenclatures from various brands) has meaningful limitations compared with the X3 series.  Memory limitations limits on hi res resolutions, power, no DAC capability methinks, etc.   When comparing retail prices for new units, FIIO definitely has defined the jumps in retail pricing very well.

Apr 28, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #17,000 of 17,484
  I think the FIIO M3 (there are a lot of M3 nomenclatures from various brands) has meaningful limitations compared with the X3 series.  Memory limitations limits on hi res resolutions, power, no DAC capability methinks, etc.   When comparing retail prices for new units, FIIO definitely has defined the jumps in retail pricing very well.

Yeah, I decided on X3.

M3 looks like a normal mp3 player than a high-res DAP...
It's good for size and price but that's not what I'm looking for.

May 3, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #17,004 of 17,484
I finally got a coaxial adapter for my X3 (the seller I got it from didn't have one). I also now have an X3ii. Is there a difference in the quality of the coaxial output between the two? Does coaxial output even vary much at all? 

May 3, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #17,005 of 17,484
I fed digital output from both generations to a Chord Mojo.  Personally I thought both sounded great.  Rock solid.  In fact, that was the best way to demo the Mojo.  Much better than using a camera connecting kit with the iphone and the Mojo.  And more reliable than using the Mojo  with my PC.

So no difference found in my experiment.  Your mileage may vary.

May 9, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #17,006 of 17,484
I've got a first gen X3, on the latest and final firmware (3.4), and am about to pick up a 128GB card for it. I have used a Samsung EVO 64GB (the orange one that xfers up to 48MB/sec) with no issues, but I'm looking at upgrading to the 128GB EVO+ (the red one that xfers up to 80MB/sec). Has anyone else used one of these in a first gen with no issues?
Also, they are on sale for $44.99 at Best Buy right now.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-evo-128gb-microsdhc-class-10-uhs-1-memory-card-red-white/4568502.p?id=1219769554957&skuId=4568502&lsft=ref:212,loc:1&ksid=a9e0531f-2724-4a11-9d78-2890724c81ba&ksprof_id=14&ksaffcode=pg31623&ksdevice=c&ref=212&loc=1

May 9, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #17,007 of 17,484
  I've got a first gen X3, on the latest and final firmware (3.4), and am about to pick up a 128GB card for it. I have used a Samsung EVO 64GB (the orange one that xfers up to 48MB/sec) with no issues, but I'm looking at upgrading to the 128GB EVO+ (the red one that xfers up to 80MB/sec). Has anyone else used one of these in a first gen with no issues?
Also, they are on sale for $44.99 at Best Buy right now.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-evo-128gb-microsdhc-class-10-uhs-1-memory-card-red-white/4568502.p?id=1219769554957&skuId=4568502&lsft=ref:212,loc:1&ksid=a9e0531f-2724-4a11-9d78-2890724c81ba&ksprof_id=14&ksaffcode=pg31623&ksdevice=c&ref=212&loc=1

I was using the one you're looking to buy (bought it right when they lowered the prices for 128gb, around Black Friday) and didn't have any issues - past tense because I've now acquired an X3ii as well and am primarily using that, though the 1st gen is so handy I don't want to get rid of it. 

May 10, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #17,008 of 17,484
So I picked one of these up yesterday, loaded it up with over 100gb of music, and it works fine on most files, but it will like, catch and stutter, get choppy momentarily on higher bitrate flacs, 24/96 and up, sounds like it can't pull data fast enough from the card. Never had an issue with the 64gb orange evo card.

It'll load up the file, start choppy very briefly, play fine for 15-20 secs, get choppy for a second, and play fine again for another 10 secs or so. Rinse, lather, repeat. Anything I can do? I loaded it up through the SD interface on my laptop, and not through the fiio if that makes a difference. Any input would be appreciated. Maybe I got a bad card? *shrug*

May 10, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #17,009 of 17,484
  So I picked one of these up yesterday, loaded it up with over 100gb of music, and it works fine on most files, but it will like, catch and stutter, get choppy momentarily on higher bitrate flacs, 24/96 and up, sounds like it can't pull data fast enough from the card. Never had an issue with the 64gb orange evo card.

It'll load up the file, start choppy very briefly, play fine for 15-20 secs, get choppy for a second, and play fine again for another 10 secs or so. Rinse, lather, repeat. Anything I can do? I loaded it up through the SD interface on my laptop, and not through the fiio if that makes a difference. Any input would be appreciated. Maybe I got a bad card? *shrug*

I've never had this problem, playing files up to 24/196 - though almost all .flac, maybe a few .wav and .ape. I transfer files by just opening the folders and dragging over. 

May 10, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #17,010 of 17,484

Funnily enough, I get an occasional stutter on 128 gb cards. Putting the same card into an X1 or my X5 and it plays fine. It might be to do with the make of card that we're using. Mine are not cheapos, but I feel a bit more at ease with 64 gb cards tbh on the X3.

Mine will do it on 320 mp3!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back