The Fiio X3 Thread.
Mar 5, 2016 at 3:55 AM Post #16,952 of 17,484
I have a Fiio x3 2nd gen. I would highly recommend it, except for the small problem of not being able to scrobble to Last.fm.

All that is needed (as far as I know) is for the device to create a plain text file with a list of tracks and when they were played. Users could then use a third-party solution like QTScrobbler to update their Last.fm account.

Another option might be to update the play count in the metadata of each file that is played.

Anyone know if there is a possibility of this, or has the idea been rejected?

Mar 6, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #16,954 of 17,484
I just downloaded and installed the new Windows DAC driver. I followed the instructions in the Readme file, and looking at Device Manager, everything looks fine. However, both the X3 display and the new control panel aren't showing the correct sample rate for the song. I uninstalled and re-installed, but I'm having the same problem. I tried both the ASIO and the WASAPI modes in both foobar2000 and JRiver Media Center, and the sample rate always displays as 48,000 no matter the sample rate of the file.

I'm running the latest version of Win 8.1.

EDIT: In foobar, the sample rate always shows as 44kHz. In JRiver, it's always 48kHz.

Mar 6, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #16,955 of 17,484
  I just downloaded and installed the new Windows DAC driver. I followed the instructions in the Readme file, and looking at Device Manager, everything looks fine. However, both the X3 display and the new control panel aren't showing the correct sample rate for the song. I uninstalled and re-installed, but I'm having the same problem. I tried both the ASIO and the WASAPI modes in both foobar2000 and JRiver Media Center, and the sample rate always displays as 48,000 no matter the sample rate of the file.

I'm running the latest version of Win 8.1.

EDIT: In foobar, the sample rate always shows as 44kHz. In JRiver, it's always 48kHz.

Check what the default sampling rates are in Foobar, jriver, and windows (sound manager). Could be the software is downsampling everything, although if I remember rightly that shouldn't matter if you're using asio/wasapi. The x3 will always display 24bit, no way round that.

Mar 6, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #16,956 of 17,484

Check what the default sampling rates are in Foobar, jriver, and windows (sound manager). Could be the software is downsampling everything, although if I remember rightly that shouldn't matter if you're using asio/wasapi. The x3 will always display 24bit, no way round that.

Good call. I don't remember ever setting downsampling, but it was enabled in both programs. Changed the settings, and the X3 driver is now showing the correct sampling rate--which apparently it was doing all along.

Thanks!

Mar 9, 2016 at 5:26 AM Post #16,957 of 17,484
http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Micro-SDXC/Integral/Integral-128GB-Micro-SDXC-Card-For-Smartphone-and-Tablet-UHS-I-U1---80MB_s

Has anyone used this card in the X3? I asked FiiO if it should work. They said that most brands should work but they would reccoment Sandisk. Out of all the Micro SD cards I have had, Sandisk have been the brand that has been the least reliable. The Sandisk 128gb card is about twice the price too.

I am just wondering if the X3 will be able to read the card so long as it is formatted to FAT32. I don't mind what the read and write speeds will be.

I have used a Transcend 32gb card, Lexar 64gb, and most of the time, a Phillips 64gb card. They all worked fine and that shows it works with many different brands.

I just haven't heard of Integral until recently. I don't think mymymory would sell anything that wasn't the capacity it said.

Mar 12, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #16,959 of 17,484
I have ended up buying the card by Integral anyway. If it doesn't work, I don't think it should be to hard to return. The 2 brands I have had issues with were Sandisk and
Toshiba. At least this Integral one has a 5 year warranty.

Mar 16, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #16,962 of 17,484
I have ended up buying the card by Integral anyway. If it doesn't work, I don't think it should be to hard to return. The 2 brands I have had issues with were Sandisk and
Toshiba. At least this Integral one has a 5 year warranty.

I've been using the integral 128gb card for about a couple of months now (fat 32) almost full with flac files and haven't had any problems on my N5. Seems like great value and mymemory are a brilliant company to deal with.:headphones:

Mar 17, 2016 at 2:12 AM Post #16,963 of 17,484
I've been using the integral 128gb card for about a couple of months now (fat 32) almost full with flac files and haven't had any problems on my N5. Seems like great value and mymemory are a brilliant company to deal with.:headphones:

Phones are often more fussy about the brand of card they have in them so if it works in your phone, I assume it will work in my X3 fine too.

Mar 17, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #16,964 of 17,484
I honestly couldn't speak for working in my phone as Apple don't let you do a lot! :thinking:

Mar 19, 2016 at 4:13 AM Post #16,965 of 17,484
I have now got my Integral 128gb card and it works fine in the X3. I was wondering if it might not like it but it works fine so far. Onto a different topic.

An issue I have always had with my X3 is that the DAC seems to be unusable with this firmware and Ubuntu 14.04. I did get told that it could be to do with pulse audio.

I have recently bought a new PC and still, when I set the X3 to DAC mode, as soon as I plug in into a USB port on my PC, it makes my PC become very unresponsive. Bad enough for me to have to do a total restart. I just can't understand how plugging the X3 in can instantly cause this.

I am wanting to try out the X3 more than I have done before as my E10 seems to be having issues with my new PC. I seem to hear lots of the internal noise from my PC when it is working hard. It is pretty bad through the line out. I didn't have this problem with my old PC. I wanted to test to see if the X3 has this problem. I obviously can't test this out though.

The E10 works fine with pulse audio and my PC so I don't know why the X3 won't. They are both USB DACs. So many things seem to have gone wrong for me with my FiiO products lately. My E11 is starting to give up too and that is about my most used device. I often have that plugged into the line out of the E10 at my PC.

The DAC on the X3 works fine if I go to a older firmware such as 3.0 but that would be annoying to have to switch between as the newer firmware is much better in most areas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back