The Fiio X3 Thread.
Aug 11, 2019 at 7:27 AM Post #17,326 of 17,484
I am really impressed with the battery life of my X3. I tested it yesterday by playing music on low gain and volume 100. My normal volume level is between 85 and 100 so this you pretty much run it out slightly quicker than normal. It lasted just over 9 and a half hours. I recharged it useing a USB tester and the capacity when charging at 5v when it was fully charged was just under 2900mAh. The claimed capacity is 3000 or 3100mAh basing it on different sites. I assume the battery won't be 5v and more like 3.7v. So this basically means that it is still most certainly still at or even above it's claimed capacity. I got it right at the beginning of May in 2014 over 5 years ago. In the last few years, it will have on average be getting nearly 10 hours use a week. That has certainly been the case more recently. An hour on the bus to and from work each working day. I don't think I've ever had a device that I've used this often with the battery life barely changing since new. 5 years is pretty good going for a relevantly modern device to still work perfectly like it used to. I really expected the battery performance to get worse but it hasn't. I think I must have been lucky.

I don't know if this may have helped, but I have always waited until the device is totally flat before recharging it. As I always have a portable charger with me, I never worry about it running out on me. So perhaps never recharging unless from an empty battery could be what has extended the life of the or something. But it must have been recharged 200+ times by now. Whatever type of battery this has seems way more reliable than most from my experience.

Edit, just realise i didn't include the image. This is after it had been fully charged from empty.

P1050252.JPG

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #17,327 of 17,484
So sorry for my late reaction! Yes the battery works great, really good quality. And installation is also extremely easy.
It took a few weeks when the battery arrived. I didn't test the battery life - so really curious about the test

I just did the replacement - seems to be working!

The old battery was SO swelled that it had pushed up on the front of the unit so hard that it had an IMPRINT of the circuit board on it.... wow... I keep the unit in my car permanently hooked up as part of my car audio setup - so I didn't notice the bulge since I always look directly it.

But it is working.. so I am psyched!

Dec 10, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #17,328 of 17,484
Even though this is sort of a negative, i have discovered something strange with the X3 that i never knew. Which means i can type something on this thread! That is the good thing :)

Up until recently, i never really used the software EQ. But have started using it with bluetooth speakers. I have the pretty new IKEA ENEBY 20 and i vertually always use the 3.5mm input on bluetooth speakers as they genrally sound better, have no interference and are more reliable. I find this speaker to lack bottom end and sparkle to the treble. The speaker has EQ built in but it seems to boost bass at 100hz or above and treble around 10khz. Neither are where the speaker needs adjusting so i actually found that the EQ works perfectly here if i put the 62hz and 16khz up to +6db. But i kept thinking the EQ was sefective or something. Then i worked out that it won't take effect with flac files. Probably wav too. As i vertually always listen to Mp3 at 320kbps, and don't often use eq, i won't have noticed this before. But does anyone else have it and why would it be the case?

It is nice being able to use the line out with my speaker to save power while still being able to use the software EQ, but the effect seems disabled when playing flacs. As you don't get the sudden drop in volume when you turn it on like you normally would.

Pretty strange.

Dec 10, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #17,329 of 17,484
IIRC the EQ on the X3 should work with lossless. The only wrench in the work is that it doesn't support hi-res. Just not enough processing power to handle anything higher than 24/48.
Although I could be wrong… been ages since I've delved into the EQ feature

Dec 10, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #17,330 of 17,484
IIRC the EQ on the X3 should work with lossless. The only wrench in the work is that it doesn't support hi-res. Just not enough processing power to handle anything higher than 24/48.
Although I could be wrong… been ages since I've delved into the EQ feature

ahaa i didn't think about that. one of the very few flac albums i have is a 24bit recording.

How many of you are still using your X3 daily and how long have you had it? I have had it since 2013 and still seems to be going strong with virtually no change to the battery life. That being even with the last few years easily being an average of 10 hours listening time per week.

Dec 12, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #17,334 of 17,484
Mine is from 11.2013 and I'm still using it.
I was never able to achieve 10 hours, even when new, now I'm down to 2-3 hours - it was used only lightly.
Any idea where to get a new good quality battery?
From FiiO support I got this answer: "According to customs policy, the battery is not transportable for safety." :frowning2:

Dec 15, 2019 at 10:08 PM Post #17,335 of 17,484
I need help. I have a Fiio X3 1st and 2nd generation. It plays one album and then repeats that album. I've tried all the Play Mode settings but it won't change. It just started happening as far as I know. Is there a place that shows what the 4 symbols mean? I assume I just select the Play Mode I want and then move off that screen to lock it in. Any suggestions on how to make it automatically go to the next album when it finishes the previous one? I'm stumped.

Dec 16, 2019 at 4:27 AM Post #17,336 of 17,484
I need help. I have a Fiio X3 1st and 2nd generation. It plays one album and then repeats that album. I've tried all the Play Mode settings but it won't change. It just started happening as far as I know. Is there a place that shows what the 4 symbols mean? I assume I just select the Play Mode I want and then move off that screen to lock it in. Any suggestions on how to make it automatically go to the next album when it finishes the previous one? I'm stumped.
Dear user,

Please try to turn off the play through folder option in playing settings and check again.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Dec 16, 2019 at 5:58 AM Post #17,337 of 17,484

If you get nowhere with this, setting the unit to default will be another option too. If it used to work, this no doubt will fix it.

Jan 2, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #17,338 of 17,484
I'm considering getting a Fiio X3 Mark 3. I know some users have criticized it for a lag. Has firmware upgrades helped with that? Personally, I don't use playlists. I'm pretty happy playing one album at a time, and play through the album. Is the lag that big a deal to you personally? (I'm drawn to it because of the coaxial output.)

Mar 3, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #17,339 of 17,484
Hi Guys
I'm a new member. I've got a FiiO X3ii and it was great for 3 years of light use but now the battery will not hold a charge.
Has anyone else had this issue? Is there a remedy?
I have emailed FiiO Support but had no response in a nearly month. (I guess they are locked out of work due to the virus).
cheers

Mar 4, 2020 at 4:23 AM Post #17,340 of 17,484
Hi Guys
I'm a new member. I've got a FiiO X3ii and it was great for 3 years of light use but now the battery will not hold a charge.
Has anyone else had this issue? Is there a remedy?
I have emailed FiiO Support but had no response in a nearly month. (I guess they are locked out of work due to the virus).
cheers
There is a specific thread for the X3II. I remember it being created when the original was still really popular. But ever since headfi's update a year or two back, finding old threads is a nightmare and you are better off using a search engine outside the sight for them.

If you don't mind spending a bit, a temporary solution could be something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/TNTOR-Port...ds=2500+flat+power+bank&qid=1583313428&sr=8-2

You could just have it permanently attached to the X3 and charge this instead. The original X3 only requires a 1A output, hopefully the newer model will be the same. If you use a FiiO rubber band or something, it should fit pretty neat under it.

Edit:

Hmm, after simple key words in Bing: "fiio x3ii headfi forum" , the thread is the top result.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...dsd-usb-dac-with-lo-and-inline-remote.743704/

I just can't explain how frustrating the search has been for years on this site now. It doesn't seem to find stuff that clearly exists, no matter how clear the words are.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back