The GRADO SR-60 Impressions Thread
Dec 5, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #826 of 869
So I couldn't resist and I did the mod. Very easy to do and it took me all of 20 minutes. To take apart the cups I did the steamy water method. To fully loosen the glue it took maybe 30 seconds of the drivers (back down) being semi-submerged. I didn't do the full 10 holes, rather opted for 3 evenly spaced. Using a 5/8 socket as a guide I them cut out 4 circles from some 3mm craft foam, glueing 2 to the backs of the drivers (the magnet guard to be precise) and 2 to the inside of the grille (behind the SR60 logo). I then did the quarter mod and used the foam cut-out for dampening on the back grille, gluing them to the foam I had previously glued. I did not clean out the old hot glue that originally held the cups firmly together, rather using it to grip. This way if need be I can easily take them apart, yet they are strong enough not to do so on their own.

Impressions? Fantastic! Everything the mod promised to do did. Treble is more detailed and in no way shrill, mids are more forward, and bass slams harder and extends deeper. And soundstage, wow it really opened up. I even hear micro detail I didn't hear before. For something so easy to do, the benefits are well worth it. My question is why didn't Grado make the SR60 like this to begin with?! Then again, I satisfied my modding urge and had fun doing it. Nest step is obvious; Woodies and metal grille! Maybe even a cable swap.

Dare I say, I think I like these more than my Momentums' in terms of their sound. Too early to tell, more testing is needed. Needless to say, for $60 and 20 minutes of my time call me very impressed!

beerchug.gif

Edit: FYI, I used good 'ol Elmer's Glue for the foam. Not only is it easier to work with, it goes on and off cleaner than hot glue.

Dec 9, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #827 of 869
I have the SR60i and SR325iS, but today I bought a secondhand SR60. The owner wanted 50 euro, but I explained to him that it was the first series, not the improved series, it was missing one of the black nubs, it didn't have the original ear pads but a pair of non-OEM thin pads stretching tightly over the drivers, and the 1/8>1/4 adapter was missing. So I talked him down to 30 euro.

Back home, I removed the headband and the ear pads, put on a pair of quartermodded Sennheiser 414 pads, and put the cups in a Vivitar folding ultralight headband gifted to me by 7Keys. The Vivitar's cloth head cushion is replaced by a vinyl SR60 headband that has two small Sennheiser cushions glued to the inside.

So now I have an ultralight, folding SR60 that fits in my backpack much easier than my SR60i.
happy_face1.gif

May 2, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #828 of 869
I've just done some critical listening using various cushions on my 15 year old SR60:

Ranking:
1 - StoreONE replica L-cushions (most balanced sound with most fun, tolerable comfort)
2 - Sennheiser 414 reverse quarter mod (same sound as L-cush, good comfort, look ugly)
3 - Ear Zonk replica G-cushions (less characteristic V-shaped Grado fun sound, comfortable but prone to get too warm)
4 - Grado stock S-cushions (slightly muffled sound takes away the excitement, good comfort)

How far up the Grado range should I go in the e-series to get to a sweet spot of better sound for cost benefit?

May 15, 2015 at 6:20 AM Post #829 of 869
Hi guys,

I was wondering if I could get some advice regarding recabling the SR60. It's not exactly a pricey pair of headphones and repairing it at this point may cost as much as the pair itself. I'm thinking of doing it as repair/upgrade rather than just pursuing better sound.

Long story short, the cables have turned brittle and hard and don't flex quite as well as it used to. It's become quite uncomfortable to use and so they have gone into storage. Which is a shame since they're my first (and only) pair of Grados and I am quite fond of them.

Now to my question: Has anyone here modded their grado cables? Replaced them with silver plated or even pure silver cables? Is it worth getting silver/silver plated cables for these?

Frankly based on my impression of silver cables and the sound signature of the Grados it might not really do any good to get pure silver cables; not to mention the cost. I was thinking of either going with high quality copper 99.99% OFC or something like that or maybe silver plated. 

May 15, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #830 of 869
  Hi guys,

I was wondering if I could get some advice regarding recabling the SR60. It's not exactly a pricey pair of headphones and repairing it at this point may cost as much as the pair itself. I'm thinking of doing it as repair/upgrade rather than just pursuing better sound.

Long story short, the cables have turned brittle and hard and don't flex quite as well as it used to. It's become quite uncomfortable to use and so they have gone into storage. Which is a shame since they're my first (and only) pair of Grados and I am quite fond of them.

Now to my question: Has anyone here modded their grado cables? Replaced them with silver plated or even pure silver cables? Is it worth getting silver/silver plated cables for these?

Frankly based on my impression of silver cables and the sound signature of the Grados it might not really do any good to get pure silver cables; not to mention the cost. I was thinking of either going with high quality copper 99.99% OFC or something like that or maybe silver plated. 

They talk about changing cables on the SR60 and results here.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/574708/grado-sr60-vs-sr225

May 15, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #831 of 869

Thanks!

I guess it's worth the recable. I gotta get it done anyway so I don't mind. I just need to decide if I want to go with silver plated or copper. I've pretty much decided on copper (something like 99.99% OFC at this point). Just won't make sense to spend 50 dollars on cable for a 70 dollar pair of headphones. 

May 15, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #832 of 869

Thanks!

I guess it's worth the recable. I gotta get it done anyway so I don't mind. I just need to decide if I want to go with silver plated or copper. I've pretty much decided on copper (something like 99.99% OFC at this point). Just won't make sense to spend 50 dollars on cable for a 70 dollar pair of headphones. 

I wouldn't go with silver, it seems like a waste of money. 

Jun 26, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #836 of 869
The SR60 obviously has been thru a at least a few versions.  Original, i, and now e.  Looking at the original specifically, I see the oldest rev had no "bubble" protruding on the circular fixture that is basically used as the interface piece between headband/rod and driver cups.
There seemed to be another version before the i, construction looked the same as original, but this circular piece had this "bubble" directly over the "T" in "PRESTIGE" stamped on the driver cup.  Below are pics.
Maybe meaningless question but was there any driver differences between these two models?
Thanks.

Jun 26, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #837 of 869
  The SR60 obviously has been thru a at least a few versions.  Original, i, and now e.  Looking at the original specifically, I see the oldest rev had no "bubble" protruding on the circular fixture that is basically used as the interface piece between headband/rod and driver cups.
There seemed to be another version before the i, construction looked the same as original, but this circular piece had this "bubble" directly over the "T" in "PRESTIGE" stamped on the driver cup.  Below are pics.
Maybe meaningless question but was there any driver differences between these two models?
Thanks.

I have a pair of SR60i and have an older pair of SR60's with pink drivers coming to me,...... I'm curious as to the difference in sound also.
I've heard great things about the pink drivers.

Jun 28, 2015 at 6:44 AM Post #839 of 869
I have a pair of SR60i and have an older pair of SR60's with pink drivers coming to me,...... I'm curious as to the difference in sound also.
I've heard great things about the pink drivers.

I found this comparison useful when deciding which version to go for: http://www.headfonia.com/the-grado-sr60i-compared-to-the-sr60/ seems upgraded drivers and bigger housing do improve the sound.

Jul 2, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #840 of 869
I found this comparison useful when deciding which version to go for: http://www.headfonia.com/the-grado-sr60i-compared-to-the-sr60/ seems upgraded drivers and bigger housing do improve the sound.

have heard an sr80e. not much diff to an 80i to my ears. skeptical about 60e as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back