The GRADO SR-60 Impressions Thread
Dec 12, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #860 of 869
Hi guys, recently decided to go down the slippery slope of modding a pair of sr60e that I got some time ago, tried in vain to steam the cups, tried the hairdryer method as well, but I just couldn't seem to separate the two sections. Any tips for my second attempt, as well as suggestions on how long or any specific methods to steam the cups would be greatly appreciated. 

Dec 12, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #862 of 869
  Any tips for my second attempt, as well as suggestions on how long or any specific methods to steam the cups would be greatly appreciated. 

Easiest way to steam is to get a flat pan (tupperware works too) and place the units grille side down. In a separate pot/container boil some water and remove from heat; it should be very steamy at this point. Take a cup (measuring cups work well) and start scooping out the water and start filling the pan. Take note of the water level as you are wanting to add as much to fill past the gimbal holes (but not submerge the hole); The glue is situated in this region. Let them sit for about 2-3 minutes, then pull the first one out and try to separate by gently twisting. It won't take too much force if the glue is soft enough.

IF you get the drivers wet, do not worry as they dry out easily enough. Use a hair dryer on high heat/low speed and sweep the heat back and forth on the underside of the driver if you are impatient. Don't use high speed and get too close as you might blow out the diaphragm (or collapse it).

beerchug.gif

Dec 12, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #863 of 869
I would stay with the hair dryer method, just soften up the hot glue and pull them apart. 
I think you'll get more help in the post your Grado mods thread.

Good luck

Easiest way to steam is to get a flat pan (tupperware works too) and place the units grille side down. In a separate pot/container boil some water and remove from heat; it should be very steamy at this point. Take a cup (measuring cups work well) and start scooping out the water and start filling the pan. Take note of the water level as you are wanting to add as much to fill past the gimbal holes (but not submerge the hole); The glue is situated in this region. Let them sit for about 2-3 minutes, then pull the first one out and try to separate by gently twisting. It won't take too much force if the glue is soft enough.

IF you get the drivers wet, do not worry as they dry out easily enough. Use a hair dryer on high heat/low speed and sweep the heat back and forth on the underside of the driver if you are impatient. Don't use high speed and get too close as you might blow out the diaphragm (or collapse it).

:beerchug:
Thank you both, boiling up some water as I type this. Really appreciate the replies.

Nov 30, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #865 of 869
Just dug out my original SR60 to see if I could repair them.  One of my gimbals/yokes/c-brackets has been broken for years. These were my counter-strike headphones from around 2000ish.   Plugged them in and they still work great and sound pretty good.  Wrote grado to help me source a new gimbal.  What awesome customer service they have.  They are going to send me out a new gimbal for free.   Now I need to start researching on Mods to do.

Feb 13, 2017 at 5:55 AM Post #867 of 869
Hello, I just received my sr60e and I am very impressed.
They have a lot of value for the price they have.
Since they are my first Grado, I was wondering which model is better regarding these.
I mean a sound quality jump.

regards

Mar 3, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #868 of 869
Hi,

I've joined the club as well, started researching on the Grado's after I felt an attachment to the design , got it after reading through 58 pages here :)

Here's the unboxing video, /img/vimeo_logo.png, the password is headfi    .

Have a good day !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mar 12, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #869 of 869
Thanks to NYC's robust used cans market, I was able to get my Sr60i for 15 bucks. I thought the mod bug would be kicking in asap but I feel like I'm enjoying the sound as is! I'm going to order the sennie 414 pads and quarter mod it, but until it comes in... i'm going to get to know my new addition!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back