The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Oct 1, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #1,891 of 8,352
Rick your crazy man.... :)

Okay so I think I am officially aborting all transplant ideas. I got in my fancy Monoprice headphones today :). They are open or at least semi open with a vent on the side covered with thick felt like material.

I just kinda jury rigged one driver in one side without unsoldering them from my S500 because I was afraid of exactly what happened. I get the same harsh highs and loss of mids and lows as with the "ATH velours". I could cover the vent on the back and get a noticable improvement but it just isn't what it is with the HD25 pleather. To me something about the size of the hole on those pads just tune them perfectly in the mids department.

So I realized that I am going to go through a lot of work just to get something close (but not quite the same) to what I already had if I mess with it long enough. So mission aborted.

Its a shame too because the monoprice are super super lightweight an they flex to make the cups rest with even pressure and no leakage. The pads are almost circumaural and much more comfortable. The headband is.. well painful after a while as it is not padded but after I add the HD25 pads to it, It would have been just dreamy feeling :beyersmile:

Anyway I'm going back to the way I had it and leaving it. Its a shame because i really like the weight of these monoprice's..
df25c67e77ca289218b788caa4635684.jpg

Oct 1, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #1,892 of 8,352
No Doc don't abandon ship so fast, try them with the sexy closed sony's, maybe it might sound right in that housing.  Just joking tbh, I love the fit/ comfort of these S500s to ever consider a transplant, plus my noob ass ain't got the skittles for such jobs. But it sure is fun watching people like you DIYing the mini cooper outta these suckas. ha

So from what I got out of your post is that any open/ semi open housing is gonna makes these carbon nanotube drivers sound really un-characteristic from their signature sound? Damn that sucks if that's the case, an open version would kick some major ones...............

Thanks for all your efforts meng. 
beerchug.gif
Was a fun watch. 

C'mon analogdude please come through with something magical, want to see some sweet transplants. 

Oct 2, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #1,894 of 8,352
Quote:
No Doc don't abandon ship so fast, try them with the sexy closed sony's, maybe it might sound right in that housing.  Just joking tbh, I love the fit/ comfort of these S500s to ever consider a transplant, plus my noob ass ain't got the skittles for such jobs. But it sure is fun watching people like you DIYing the mini cooper outta these suckas. ha

So from what I got out of your post is that any open/ semi open housing is gonna makes these carbon nanotube drivers sound really un-characteristic from their signature sound? Damn that sucks if that's the case, an open version would kick some major ones...............

Thanks for all your efforts meng. 
beerchug.gif
Was a fun watch. 

C'mon analogdude please come through with something magical, want to see some sweet transplants. 

I've got more on my audio plate that I can possibly swallow at the time - things loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong overdue ( like year(s) ...) that are finally coming to fruition due to either availability of new materials and/or popping up of some blast from the past needed to complete the job on the time machine most commonly known as ebay. Things are interlinked - you will see ( and HEAR ) and will understand. I promise  it will be well worth the wait. After all, Rome was not built overnight either. No magic involved, just experience, attention to minutest detail and hard work.

As always, enjoy your music!

Oct 2, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #1,895 of 8,352
Quote:
Rick your crazy man....
smily_headphones1.gif

<snip>
Anyway I'm going back to the way I had it and leaving it. Its a shame because i really like the weight of these monoprice's..

That's too bad Doc. Those are so damned sexy!
eek.gif

Edit: Oh, and I completely agree about Rick lol!

Oct 2, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #1,896 of 8,352

Thanks for all your efforts meng.  :beerchug: Was a fun watch. 

Lol bud.. Ya it's a sad day for me too. Maybe I'll try it with those uptowns one of these days if I stumble upon a cheap pair but done for now.

Lol.I remember those cans. I bought them myself a long time ago seeing if monoprice had any decent cans minus the Dj cans. Those sound terrible

Oh yea they are atrocious stock. Fo sho. But I thought they would be a nice transplant project and it just was not to be.

Oct 2, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #1,897 of 8,352
Well I think stock is just fine for me too. I was thinking of those Sony Ma100 phones possibly but you know what I am 100% happy with the way they sound. Plus I need to save my money for some newness that is coming out. I think you will be happy with how they sound with the ATH leathers.. And I would return those Monoprice cans.. Those aren't worthy to give to your worst nephew.

Oct 2, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #1,898 of 8,352
I was talking about the monoprice stock (i.e. pre-transplant). No those monoprice will prolly go in the trash. I took them apart and removed the cable if you didn't gather that from my post and pic above. I don't think that's under the warranty :beyersmile: I bought them for the transplant idea. Didn't work so fine. No prob.

Oct 2, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #1,899 of 8,352
Quote:
Well I think stock is just fine for me too. I was thinking of those Sony Ma100 phones possibly but you know what I am 100% happy with the way they sound. Plus I need to save my money for some newness that is coming out. I think you will be happy with how they sound with the ATH leathers.. And I would return those Monoprice cans.. Those aren't worthy to give to your worst nephew.

Meng forget about those pricey sony MDR R1s just buy like 12 of these S400s and you set fo' life. 
biggrin.gif
But they sure look sexy as hell though, esp that brown and silver ones, my god DAT SEXY CLASSINESS with that modern look.  Nah I ain't even remotely tempted!!!
devil_face.gif

Oct 2, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #1,901 of 8,352
Quote:
Oh yea? How about after this.? Oh yes. These will be owned by me.

LoL, just saw this earlier today, MORRRRRRRRRRR BASSSSSSSSS!!! Artists what do they know. ha

That MDR1 thread is about to feel DAT FYRE once you get your hands on these, they better look for cover real soon, gonna be an onslaught there. DAT DSNUTS HEAT. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 2, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #1,903 of 8,352
Quote:
IT is an interesting time. There seems to be much newness. If only all of them can provide as much sonic value as these HA-S500 I will be happy.

Yeah, I am really looking forward to the M100 reviews, more so than these Sony's tbh. But it would be amazing to compare the 2 and see how these cheapo S500s stack up.
wink_face.gif

Oct 2, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #1,904 of 8,352
Quote:
Quote:
oh Doc what was the $1 item you added to get it over $25? Might need to know if I just ending up getting 1 set.  Care to linky??? Looks like these S400s are gonna go for around mid $20's to $30 from most places, so this is gonna be a real slickdeal for sure. 

dont thinks so. they are average... will sound like another 30 headphone. where are just overhyping these phones cause whe got nothing else to do, yo know?   drunk guys on a bar just talking funny stuff.  

please people.. skip these headphones.. go get yourself one of those overpriced phones with a Sennheiser or whatever logo.

Cheers my drunken fellaasss  
beerchug.gif
      BEES ARE ON ME!!

You can speak for yourself, my drunken friend,
wink_face.gif
 ...but my ears just can't seems to get enough of them S400.

edit: (of course I know you're kidding !   ...you don't type drunken)

Quote:
This seems like a easy one, since Ghostfit and some others that got the S400s early likes them over the S500s due to it's supposed more balanced/ neutral sound already is telling that these S400s are gonna destroy them Panas as the S500s has done for you. This is just a simple observation though, don't quote me on it. heeee

Oh and why are places listing the S400 drivers as Neodymium??? JVC better not be messing around. LoL I want me carbon nanotube 100% legit.   

Both S500 and S400 punches well above their retail costs, as for which is better the answer will depends on your preferences.
Mine are for the S400's signature and now at $25 a pop, it can only be stronger as I can now spread the goodness to relatives instead of just being restricted to the $25 FX40 iems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back