TOPPING DX5 DAC & HP Amp Now Available
Oct 2, 2022 at 8:48 PM Post #93 of 104
I want one. Yes. Please Thank you.

Oct 3, 2022 at 1:11 AM Post #94 of 104
How can anybody recommend this when the s/pdif implementation is so poor? I am getting cut outs and stutters on both optical and coax. USB locks on, but s/pdif is another thing. Firmware was successfully updated to v1.38 which is the latest on the Topping d/l page.
During my time with it, I used the coax input almost exclusively without a single issue.
Maybe you got a defective unit?

Dec 24, 2022 at 12:43 PM Post #97 of 104
Hi chaps
Just got a DX5
Playing from IPhone 13 Pro or IPad Air M1 or Ifi Zen Stream playing direct Tidal App on IOS or Tidal Connect or through Roon with Ifi Zen Stream or IOS devices configured as Roon endpoints with DX5 hooked up.
Getting hick-ups playing MQA at start of an MQA Track as well as ca 10 secs later on IOS.
On Roon with configured renderer plus decoder I am getting hick-up at the beginning and once skipping within tracks too but then no hick up after 10 secs as on IOS native Tidal.
On plus I can hear slight static noise in such cases.
I have chatted with another Headfier and he confirmed the hick-up issues being solved only through Windows ASIO driver with "Safe Mode" being deactivated.
But he's not encountering any static noise.
I will try to exchange the device due to the static noise issue but for the hick-up part it seems to be more of a DX5 driver - Tidal apk issue for the IOS sources?

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2024 at 1:59 PM Post #98 of 104
@Ichos
I am facing a purchase for a DAC/AMP for my computer. For this reason, I am renting various equipment for a short period of time.
I've already had the Fioo K11, the Fioo K7 and I'm currently checking out the DX5.
I got the version new and I have a question how long does it have to play to show its full capabilities?
At the moment, the K7 fared better in terms of stage width and depth, and how powerful it had bass.
Does anything change after playing it for a few to several hours?

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

Mar 19, 2024 at 5:03 PM Post #99 of 104
@Ichos
I am facing a purchase for a DAC/AMP for my computer. For this reason, I am renting various equipment for a short period of time.
I've already had the Fioo K11, the Fioo K7 and I'm currently checking out the DX5.
I got the version new and I have a question how long does it have to play to show its full capabilities?
At the moment, the K7 fared better in terms of stage width and depth, and how powerful it had bass.
Does anything change after playing it for a few to several hours?

Hello, i usually leave my equipment to play music for 80-100 hours but I don't monitor the performance.
All electronics need some time to let capacitors and other components settle down.
Thus said, the K7 has more weighty bass and more open soundstage.

Mar 19, 2024 at 7:00 PM Post #100 of 104
Yes the K7 was a bit of a shock to me after the FiOO K11, precisely because of the playing depth and width. The K11 played very cool compared to the sound from the motherboard, it gave a lot of fun. The K7, although technically better, somehow introduced such sadness and boredom in the first days. Later I think I began to get used to it, but it was still a little short of full happiness.
I have 5 hours of playing behind me, the bass has appeared and what the DX5 presents itself is beginning to appeal to me.
He hopes that on Saturday I will have 100 hours and the 3d stage will appear even better as it is.

Mar 20, 2024 at 2:19 AM Post #101 of 104
I wonder why the DX5 at my place does not change the identification of formats : PCM, DSD MQA, even though I play music in such formats I always see PCM?
Could I have set something wrong?
The music is playing, but I don't get the correct information on the display.

Mar 20, 2024 at 6:16 AM Post #103 of 104
Nothing changes, I have PCM all the time, the only difference is on the bottom left , either it displays 384kHz for Wasapi, which is what Windows I set, or 44.1kHz. for ASIO
And I play different files,

Well I've already figured out in Foobar where the fault was in the SACD settings I had the PCM type selected, I did DSD+PCM and already the display shows the correct value.
Now what's left is MQA, which it doesn't display with Tidal.

It worked only I don't know if the latter option should be enabled, as it is at the moment
IaXktJf.png

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2024 at 3:21 AM Post #104 of 104
How does this compare to a Jotunheim 2 with ES9028 module?

the Topping doesn't have a balanced headphone output..

Does it mute the studio monitors on the XLR outputs when headphones are plugged in?

are there any issues to be expected regarding noise from the computer?

Over a decade, three different towns, 4 different mainboards, 3 different powersupplies, 3 different GPUs.. even a dedicated ASUS Xonar soundcard.. nothing has ever gotten rid of the damned feeeping noise I get from my computer.

Using an Art DTI to isolate, but still need to have gain on Yamaha monitors down at 8 o'clock...

would the DX5 fed via usb or optical and driving the Yamahas via xlr cables solve that issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back