TOPPING DX5 DAC & HP Amp Now Available
May 9, 2022 at 6:55 AM Post #61 of 104
It's common to have a 4 pin XLR input that is unbalanced ?

Of course !

Unfortunately, yes...Nick is correct. For instance, amps such as SMSL SP200 and SH-9 are not fully-balanced designs, despite having XLR output.

It seems to be becoming somewhat of a trend, particularly with devices coming from some Chinese companies.

Last edited:
May 9, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #62 of 104
Thanks for replying, ahmonge!

Oh, brother...Respect the hustle, Topping, but, that's a no-go from me.
Just read Amir's review, where he also confirms that the XLR headphone out is, in fact, unbalanced and is there "only for convenience."

Topping, Why do this?

To create balance architecture, that has same exact parts quality as single ended amp, you need to multiply the cost by 4 (Because SE use 1 amplification board, balance use 4 pcs). So DX5 with balance amplifier would be impossible to have same price as the one in market now.

https://www.tpdz.net/productinfo/801305.html

I don't understand about claiming single ended or balance, topping has nice website and everyone can simply check there about their product.

DX5 is simply using single ended amplifier, and you can see that in web. However, DX5 use Full Balance DAC structure, of course, you also can just see that link as well.

May 9, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #63 of 104
To create balance architecture, that has same exact parts quality as single ended amp, you need to multiply the cost by 4 (Because SE use 1 amplification board, balance use 4 pcs). So DX5 with balance amplifier would be impossible to have same price as the one in market now.

https://www.tpdz.net/productinfo/801305.html

I don't understand about claiming single ended or balance, topping has nice website and everyone can simply check there about their product.

DX5 is simply using single ended amplifier, and you can see that in web. However, DX5 use Full Balance DAC structure, of course, you also can just see that link as well.
When folks are considering whether or not to spend their hard-earned money, I'm not sure the design of the website is a primary consideration (though it may be for some?).

The inclusion of an 4-pin XLR output has usually (though, granted, not always...especially lately) historically indicated balanced amplification, and, the fact that it isn't made clear on the site one way or another is, in my opinion, a bit of willful obfuscation.

In any case, this looks like a fantastic option for many. I will no longer comment on the device.

Last edited:
May 10, 2022 at 7:41 AM Post #64 of 104
When folks are considering whether or not to spend their hard-earned money, I'm not sure the design of the website is a primary consideration (though it may be for some?).

The inclusion of an 4-pin XLR output has usually (though, granted, not always...especially lately) historically indicated balanced amplification, and, the fact that it isn't made clear on the site one way or another is, in my opinion, a bit of willful obfuscation.

In any case, this looks like a fantastic option for many. I will no longer comment on the device.
Indeed.

Jul 2, 2022 at 7:33 AM Post #65 of 104
A brand-new DAC/AMP combo joined TOPPING lineup now at USD449! The DX5 with high-quality, gorgeous, and excellent workmanship! It has a fresh and impressive looking. It features dual ES9068AS DAC chip, achieves 0.00009% THD+N, has versatile connect options, and comes with MQA decoding, LDAC support, two gain settings.
dx5-en-01.jpg

It also has a wide range of compatibility: Windows 10 or above, MAC, Linux, IOS, Android can be plug and play. 2nd generation 16 core XMOS XU216 will take care of the USB input that supports MQA files full decoding. USB input can be connected to a PC, or OTG to a smartphone and tablet. Bluetooth input supports SONY LDAC high-resolution audio, and wireless input liberates the audio source and facilitates use. Coaxial input + optical input can be connected to audio sources such as DVD players, digital broadcasting, TV set-top boxes, game consoles, etc.
dx5-08.jpg

DX5 has multiple output modes adapted to different usage scenarios, "Headphone Amp", "Headphone Amp + Line out", "DAC" and "Pre-amplifier. It can drive your high impedance headphones with ease through its high-low gain settings (12dB/0dB). It also has a total harmonic distortion (THD) down to just 0.0009% and its signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) is up to 125dB. DX5 will deliver up to 1800mW of power into 32 ohm and 140mW in 2500 ohm loads on headphone outputs. You can connect your headphone with the output of 4-PIN-XLR or a 6.35 single-ended jack.
dx5-09.jpg

A powerful two-in-one device, connect your digital audio sources and headphones to DX5, and you can enjoy higher-quality music on the headphones. It uses NFCA circuitry for optimized headphone output performance to make it pair with high sensitivity IEMs and power-hungry high impedance headphones nicely. NFCA modules result from TOPPING’s intensive research and development into headphone amplification technology, and the flagship A90 was the first amplifier from TOPPING that incorporated these modules. NFCA modules ensure low noise levels and distortion under all conditions and when used with all headphones.
dx5-07.jpg

DX5 has the certification of Hi-Res Audio Wireless and LDAC. It uses newest QCC5125 chipset to support LDAC/AAC/SBC/ APTX LL/ APTX HD protocols. Other than that, It was awarded the Red Dot Design and Golden Pin Design, obviously, TOPPING has stepped into the fashionable HiFi gears now!
dx5-en-19.jpg

Of course, there is coming the measurements of DX5 from audiosciencereview, fingers click here, Topping DX5 Review (DAC & HP Amp).
As usual, any questions, comments, and suggestions are welcome!
Must returning my one as no headphones sound when using USB Source.

It did work with Optical, but i need USB.

Very frustrating night soent 5 hours trying to get it to work.

Oh and how about including some batteries for the remote!!!

Jul 2, 2022 at 9:17 AM Post #68 of 104
Must returning my one as no headphones sound when using USB Source.

It did work with Optical, but i need USB.

Very frustrating night soent 5 hours trying to get it to work.

Oh and how about including some batteries for the remote!!!
Sorry to read it did not work out for you. It will never work out for me because I am incompatible with MQA, LOL! :ksc75smile:

And yes, I am serious when I say I am sorry it failed to work for you. It is good looking and they normally make a high quality product! Best of luck with what ever you choose to go with next! :beerchug:

Jul 2, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #69 of 104
Sorry to read it did not work out for you. It will never work out for me because I am incompatible with MQA, LOL! :ksc75smile:

And yes, I am serious when I say I am sorry it failed to work for you. It is good looking and they normally make a high quality product! Best of luck with what ever you choose to go with next! :beerchug:

Thank you. I was very excited about getting it after Zreviews and others on YouTube.

The fact that usb to headphones didn’t even work is unacceptable.

No batteries in remote.

I had to go out and buy batteries at 9pm

Jul 23, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #74 of 104
Yea.... Almost all amp/dac sounded the same. If you do true a/b. And yes that includes K9 Pro but never heard the K9pro. Apart from power output, they are almost distinguishable.
When listening to them with the integrated headphone amplifier then they differ by a fair margin.
As a DAC output it is more difficult to tell differences, you need to have a good external amplifier and a headphone.
I also hook them to a high end speaker system.
But I tend to agree that in op-amps based DACs it gets difficult to tell differences and of course they are not night and day.
But they do exist.

Jul 24, 2022 at 5:09 AM Post #75 of 104
I disagree. But when you do a/b using rca switch, mostly placebo and you would guess wrong most of the time. What do you mean good external amplifier and a headphone ? Even with external amplifier and headphone, its dac sounded the same. Same goes with amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back