Two new HifiMan players announced: HM700 and HM802
Mar 22, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #306 of 357

It would be less expensive without the bundled in-ears, which I definitely don't need. And balanced outputs are just snake oil. 

Then why are you still here? Clip+ discussion is on another thread
wink.gif

Mar 22, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #307 of 357
  Without both it's not a good DAP with bad UI and design 

I like the design. And I like to play with DAPs. I would like to give it a try, but would probably sell it thereafter. I also want to try out an 801 sometime. 

Then why are you still here? Clip+ discussion is on another thread
wink.gif

do love my Clip+. 
biggrin.gif

I actually do check on the Head-Direct page from time to time to see if the DAP has become available on its own. And eBay. I like HiFiMan stuff, although I think my ZX1 is going to be my go-to DAP for a while. 

Mar 24, 2014 at 3:18 AM Post #308 of 357

It would be less expensive without the bundled in-ears, which I definitely don't need. And balanced outputs are just snake oil. 

I'll have my review for the HM700 and RE-600 up some time this week, but I definitely hear a difference between balanced and unbalanced. 

Mar 25, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #311 of 357
  Anyone knows why the balanced to SE adapter provided with the HM700 has to be plugged into the USB?

https://head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=186

Because when you short circuit the two ground channel on the balanced headphone-out (*as in plugging a SE headphone directly to the balanced jack), noise increase significantly on some headphone, particular those high in sensitivity and low in impedance. The USB connection lets the headphone grounds to the USB's (= HM700's) ground channel without shorting out the two balanced ground channels.

Mar 25, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #312 of 357
Snagged an HM-700 today. Drives my Ultrasone Pro 900 very well so I love it.

I notice it has some hiss with 32ohm IEM's (included ones + Atrio MG7). The hiss is about the same as Theorem 720 on high gain... yikes! It not that noticeable when listening to music but enough to make me question if the unit I auditioned in store was the same way.

The manual says if you hear "any hiss", put volume above 5 and turn off the device. This didn't work for me. 

Mar 26, 2014 at 2:39 AM Post #313 of 357
Pro tip for HM-700 owners:

Stick the supplied adhesive standoffs over top the directional buttons, to make it easier to play/pause and next track without taking the device out of your pocket. Takes the guesswork out of finding the button. This works very well. Even with thick jeans on I can feel the exact button location.

Mar 26, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #314 of 357
  Pro tip for HM-700 owners:

Stick the supplied adhesive standoffs over top the directional buttons, to make it easier to play/pause and next track without taking the device out of your pocket. Takes the guesswork out of finding the button. This works very well. Even with thick jeans on I can feel the exact button location.

Technically those are replacement filters for the IEM itself, in the event that the current ones get dirty or blocked with wax...so you may want to hold on to a few
tongue.gif
 I suppose you could use any kind of raised sticker though.

Mar 26, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #315 of 357
  Technically those are replacement filters for the IEM itself, in the event that the current ones get dirty or blocked with wax...so you may want to hold on to a few
tongue.gif
 I suppose you could use any kind of raised sticker though.

For sure. I had no idea those were for the IEM's but it comes with 10 of them so it should be okay. I'll try to find better ones =P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back