Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Feb 26, 2024 at 8:26 AM Post #7,231 of 7,303
I liked Indigo WAY more, one of my alltime favorites, soundwise. Mentor was really boring to me.
It’s amazing how everyone hears different. My thoughts were exactly the opposite. I found indigos “stuffy” sounding and the soundstage is nothing in comparison. I liked my Mest MK2’s better than indigo and still own my them.

Feb 26, 2024 at 9:05 AM Post #7,232 of 7,303
It’s amazing how everyone hears different. My thoughts were exactly the opposite. I found indigos “stuffy” sounding and the soundstage is nothing in comparison. I liked my Mest MK2’s better than indigo and still own my them.
Yes, It is amazing how we all hear differently! Reading how you describe the Indigo, would have me question whether you had a defective set! It's been a long time since I heard the MKII, but I much preferred the Indies to those. I did find the OE PWA cable a bit restrictive and changing out to an Ares S 8W really opened them up and a brought more note weight to the bottom end.
My Mentors will be here tomorrow so I'm looking forward to contrasting them myself. I'll post my impressions.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2024 at 7:19 PM Post #7,233 of 7,303
Yes, It is amazing how we all hear differently! Reading how you describe the Indigo, would have me question whether you had a defective set! It's been a long time since I heard the MKII, but I much preferred the Indies to those. I did find the OE PWA cable a bit restrictive and changing out to an Ares S 8W really opened them up and a brought more note weight to the bottom end.
My Mentors will be here tomorrow so I'm looking forward to contrasting them myself. I'll post my impressions.
Mentor really is a completely different thing altogether from any of the Mest versions.

Whether you like it or not its subject to opinion. Mine is that boring is the last word...weird bass but so not boring! YMMV, etc.

Feb 26, 2024 at 8:00 PM Post #7,235 of 7,303
Mentor really is a completely different thing altogether from any of the Mest versions.

Whether you like it or not its subject to opinion. Mine is that boring is the last word...weird bass but so not boring! YMMV, etc.
OK, now you opened a can of worms! What mean you by "weird" bass? 🤣 I've heard the bass described many ways - this is my first time hearing weird?
I'm still looking forward to getting them but want to know what to expect! One more angle from you please!

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2024 at 8:37 PM Post #7,236 of 7,303
OK, now you opened a can of worms! What mean you by "weird" bass? 🤣 I've heard the bass described many ways - this is my first time hearing weird?
I'm still looking forward to getting them but want to know what to expect! One more angle from you please!
I'm not sure how to explain but weird was a terrible descriptor! I think it probably boils down to lack of DD bass for me, and it feeling a bit underwhelming. The mids and soundstage are epic and, on my first go around with them, I was blown away. But on my second go around, I had already heard AP, which is sort of like a Mentor with better bass (still no DD, but this could have fooled me). I think it's still magical, but at those price levels, I'm going for the Fir and kinetic bass.

Feb 26, 2024 at 8:44 PM Post #7,237 of 7,303
I'm not sure how to explain but weird was a terrible descriptor! I think it probably boils down to lack of DD bass for me, and it feeling a bit underwhelming. The mids and soundstage are epic and, on my first go around with them, I was blown away. But on my second go around, I had already heard AP, which is sort of like a Mentor with better bass (still no DD, but this could have fooled me). I think it's still magical, but at those price levels, I'm going for the Fir and kinetic bass.
I was tossed up between the Mentor and CP622B - but multiple reports of poor fit issues kept me off it.
Looks like my deliver is delayed to Wednesday and I'm leaving out of town Thursday morning so I'll get to flight test them!
I must admit I am a DD Bass guy and was skeptical aout the Mentor bass but there's been lots of love and praise for them -so here they come!
I'll keep you posted.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2024 at 12:58 AM Post #7,238 of 7,303
@maegnificant

Maybe because you like dd bass more?? Ive never try a great low freqs that produced other than dd. So kinda afraid of not like it too.
Was thinking bout that a lot. Not sure if im going to like other low freqs not by DD
Cant audition it 😭
Just the overall frequency response of Mentor was boring to me. A very warm version of neutral with no standouts. Not bad, but so boring. 🤷

Feb 27, 2024 at 2:54 AM Post #7,239 of 7,303
Just the overall frequency response of Mentor was boring to me. A very warm version of neutral with no standouts. Not bad, but so boring. 🤷
Mentor was underwhelming in the beginning to me also but I began to appreciate what it delivered the more time I spent with it. Cable synergy is also important and for me First Times (non-shielding) paired well. It is also strange that when Mentor was all the hype, many were saying that it had one of the best BA bass out there. Seems like it's not so great now!

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2024 at 2:56 AM Post #7,240 of 7,303
Mentor was underwhelming in the beginning to me also but I began to appreciate what it delivered the more time I spent with it. Cable synergy is also important and for me First Times (non-shielding) paired well. It is also strange that when Mentor was all the hype, many were saying that it had one of the best DD bass out there. Seems like it's not so great now!
Mentor doesn't have a DD though...😬

Feb 27, 2024 at 3:40 AM Post #7,241 of 7,303
Feb 28, 2024 at 9:08 PM Post #7,242 of 7,303
OK Mentor in the house!
Mentor was underwhelming in the beginning to me also but I began to appreciate what it delivered the more time I spent with it. Cable synergy is also important and for me First Times (non-shielding) paired well. It is also strange that when Mentor was all the hype, many were saying that it had one of the best BA bass out there. Seems like it's not so great now!
I've been listening, playing pretty much every genre and cable rolling. First off, I'll say I Love the Indigos and I'm not going to miss them. Thats not trashing them that's simply acknowledging that a set I contemplated never selling has been trumped. But at double the retail price, the mentor better trump them. On first listen with stock cable I could hear the elevation in subbass over the indigos, but despite them being BA and not DD I was expecting more. I swapped over to new EA Code 24 - and boom - there it was - it took the whole presentation and added more. The PWA cable is a good pairing. I also tried the Ares S 8W in the Mentor but it fell short vs the Deep of Universe but moving to the Code 24 I got more note weight down low and greater clairity and imaging - dare I say airieness up top. To me the Code 24 took the the Mentor and Deepened it, widened it, extended it and brough more impact. I don't think I'm experiencing a placebo here - I've gone back and forth all afternoon with selection of tracks from across genres I'm really familiar with. All that to say Yes @Silverlinings you were right and I will now sell my beloved Indigos. and @yaps66 I can concurr, cable synergy is important with the Mentor.
If I didn't have cable to roll with, I'd be happy with the stock set up. With beefier Code 24 - I'm happier!

Feb 28, 2024 at 10:21 PM Post #7,243 of 7,303
OK Mentor in the house!

I've been listening, playing pretty much every genre and cable rolling. First off, I'll say I Love the Indigos and I'm not going to miss them. Thats not trashing them that's simply acknowledging that a set I contemplated never selling has been trumped. But at double the retail price, the mentor better trump them. On first listen with stock cable I could hear the elevation in subbass over the indigos, but despite them being BA and not DD I was expecting more. I swapped over to new EA Code 24 - and boom - there it was - it took the whole presentation and added more. The PWA cable is a good pairing. I also tried the Ares S 8W in the Mentor but it fell short vs the Deep of Universe but moving to the Code 24 I got more note weight down low and greater clairity and imaging - dare I say airieness up top. To me the Code 24 took the the Mentor and Deepened it, widened it, extended it and brough more impact. I don't think I'm experiencing a placebo here - I've gone back and forth all afternoon with selection of tracks from across genres I'm really familiar with. All that to say Yes @Silverlinings you were right and I will now sell my beloved Indigos. and @yaps66 I can concurr, cable synergy is important with the Mentor.
If I didn't have cable to roll with, I'd be happy with the stock set up. With beefier Code 24 - I'm happier!
That's the cable I'm using with Indigo, so I imagine it lifts the bass of MM s well!

Feb 28, 2024 at 10:47 PM Post #7,244 of 7,303
𝐆𝐞𝐭 𝐘𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐄𝐚𝐫𝐬 𝐑𝐞𝐚𝐝𝐲 𝐭𝐨 𝐒𝐢𝐧𝐠 - 𝐅𝐫𝐞𝐞 𝐈𝐄𝐌 𝐑𝐞𝐟𝐮𝐫𝐛𝐢𝐬𝐡𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐂𝐚𝐦𝐩𝐚𝐢𝐠𝐧!
From 𝐅𝐞𝐛𝐫𝐮𝐚𝐫𝐲 𝟐𝟎𝐭𝐡 𝐭𝐨 𝐌𝐚𝐫𝐜𝐡 𝟑𝟏𝐬𝐭, Unique Melody is giving your IEMs the 𝐫𝐨𝐲𝐚𝐥 𝐭𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 with our 𝐅𝐑𝐄𝐄 𝐑𝐞𝐟𝐮𝐫𝐛𝐢𝐬𝐡𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐂𝐚𝐦𝐩𝐚𝐢𝐠𝐧! No matter how long you've had them, we'll bring them back to 𝐠𝐥𝐨𝐫𝐢𝐨𝐮𝐬 𝐥𝐢𝐟𝐞 at 𝐧𝐨 𝐦𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐧𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝐜𝐨𝐬𝐭!
Here's what we'll do:
• 𝐒𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐤𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐒𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐞: Polish those shells until they 𝐠𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐦 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐧𝐞𝐰.
• 𝐅𝐢𝐱 𝐢𝐭 𝐔𝐩: Say goodbye to cracks and wobbles, hello to 𝐟𝐥𝐚𝐰𝐥𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐟𝐮𝐧𝐜𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐲.
• 𝐂𝐨𝐧𝐧𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐨𝐫 𝐔𝐩𝐠𝐫𝐚𝐝𝐞: Upgrade your 2-pin or 4-pin to the 𝐛𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐝-𝐧𝐞𝐰 𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐝𝐢𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧!
• 𝐂𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐧 𝐒𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐝: Refresh your filters and sound tubes for crystal-clear audio.
The only thing you pay for is round-trip shipping!
𝐃𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐰𝐚𝐢𝐭! This limited-time offer is your chance to experience your IEMs like they were new for minimal costs. Contact 𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐯𝐢𝐜𝐞@𝐮𝐧𝐢𝐪𝐮𝐞𝐦𝐞𝐥𝐨𝐝𝐲.𝐨𝐫𝐠 or service.eva@uniquemelody.org today!
P.S. Share this amazing deal with your fellow audiophiles!
Is a retuning and/or addiing drivers an option?

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2024 at 8:27 AM Post #7,245 of 7,303
This is a big thread! (as threads on HF tend to be! :upside_down:) Would love the overall on how the Amber Pearl compares with the Le Jardin, and with the two new offerings Nuit and Soleil. Also, if anyone has the Storm, would love to hear what you think about the Storm versus UM's high end offerings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back