Unique Melody MEXT Announcement and Impression Thread
Jul 6, 2022 at 9:50 AM Post #226 of 298
For sure, definitely when compared to the EST MEST.
Do you a custom or uni?
Universal. I’ve had several people try my pair and they all say the treble is sharp. Tried many different tips.

I don’t have experience with custom but I would thought the sound produced is even more dependant on your ear canal shape + shape of the iem - whereas universal is universal. I don’t understand how anyone can recommend a custom iem although I understand the benefits but the sound wouldn’t be consistent from one pair to another.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #227 of 298
This is not an iem I associate with rolled off or smooth treble. The universal is V shaped and has strong upper treble to my ears at least and everyone else that’s tried my pair.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #228 of 298
This is not an iem I associate with rolled off or smooth treble. The universal is V shaped and has strong upper treble to my ears at least and everyone else that’s tried my pair.
I agree. I concluded the treble was too brash for my tatse. Plus the raptgo Hook is better.

Jul 6, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #229 of 298
The pronounced upper treble that has a twang / shizzle quality doesn’t bother you when listening to electronic music?

I mix master music for a living. Finding it hard to believe I’m hearing it different from everyone else on headfi.
I am hearing what you are. Just sold my mext, the treble is too brash sounding.

Jul 6, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #230 of 298
Happy to concede that the custom sounds different but this would be a big departure from the universal.

If anyone is interested in my MEXT give me a shout. Shipping Europe only.

Jul 6, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #231 of 298

Often, it is about the relative comparison... and eartips selection :) I only had MEXT for a brief period of time back in January, and put together a comparison impressions between that particular pair of MEXT I borrowed against Mest MKII and Indigo here.

Jul 6, 2022 at 2:39 PM Post #232 of 298
Often, it is about the relative comparison... and eartips selection :) I only had MEXT for a brief period of time back in January, and put together a comparison impressions between that particular pair of MEXT I borrowed against Mest MKII and Indigo here.
I agree that’s it all relative but objectively speaking the mids sit behind the treble and bass making it V or U shaped - this is irrespective of tip selection. It also has a pronounced upper treble shown by frequency graphs.

Jul 9, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #236 of 298
Picked up a UM MEXT the other day. Impressed with what I’ve heard. No issues with the highs to speak of. I’m using an RU6 which has a smoothed out treble which may help. So far they are a great combo.

Jul 11, 2022 at 3:49 AM Post #237 of 298
I've been through several, sets featuring them and the only one I kept is the EJ07M.
I have my MEXT on the way and just noticed EJ07M is on a discount on Linsoul. Would you say those 2 pairs complement each other?

Picked up a UM MEXT the other day. Impressed with what I’ve heard. No issues with the highs to speak of. I’m using an RU6 which has a smoothed out treble which may help. So far they are a great combo.
Nice I have the same dongle DAC

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2022 at 6:08 AM Post #238 of 298
The pronounced upper treble that has a twang / shizzle quality doesn’t bother you when listening to electronic music?
Listening to it again after acquiring Gryphon, I just realized that the treble has this weird quality.

Aug 26, 2022 at 6:16 AM Post #239 of 298
Listening to it again after acquiring Gryphon, I just realized that the treble has this weird quality.
After 200+ hours the treble has evened out a bit and it’s a bit more linear but it’s still got this metallic and digitised quality to it that sounds unnatural. There’s also a peak around 7khz in the upper mids which doesn’t help but it’s rectified with a bit of EQ. It sounds notably smoother using the RU6 because it rolls of the highs a bit.

I imagine Unique Melody will release a second iteration MEXT 2x at some point because its certainly a more fun tuning compared to the MEST and they should at least keep expanding in this direction and keep developing IEMs which are not as analytical.

Aug 26, 2022 at 6:21 AM Post #240 of 298
It sounds notably smoother using the RU6 because it rolls of the highs a bit.
RU6 really is a game changer. It does sound more pleasing.
I imagine Unique Melody will release a second iteration MEXT 2x at some point because its certainly a more fun tuning compared to the MEST and they should at least keep expanding in this direction and keep developing IEMs which are not as analytical.
I agree. I'm not gonna spend kilobuck+ money for reference sound. I'm hoping for the addition of ESTs and treble refinement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back