V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Feb 23, 2013 at 4:36 AM Post #12,497 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:
Awesome, a reply from the man in charge!! Now to decide if I want the lp2 or m100... I have the money for either

I'm not that concerned with portablity, I really just want something somewhat well rounded and good sound stage..  so paying the extra $$ might not be worth it?

How loud do you listen to your music?  I'd say M-100 but if you like to listen REAL loud or for mainly DJ use, I'd also consider LP2.  If I am not critically listening, sometimes I use an LP2 for deep, dirty techno mixes as it sounds like I am in the club a bit more.  But you can EQ M-100 to do the same, so therefore if you only got one I'd say M-100 is more versatile.  Nervo still loves LP2 and LP for DJing live, but M-100 for production.  Sometimes when you get used to something it is hard to switch!

SAMSUNG 
For those of you w a Samsung Galaxy SIII + M-100, you are in for a REAL surprise in a few days.  I can't get over how f*)!king amazing the sound is w/M-100, SIII, Metallo, Vamp Verza, AIFF and PowerAmp.  I am in music heaven, the soundstage, clarity and treble extension is like nothing I have ever heard in my life. 

I'll be in NYC all this week to show the media and we launch it publicly either next Thursday or Tuesday after.   This technology trifecta is definitely the best money you can spend in audio, especially compared to how much I used to spend in home and car gear.  Headphones/mobile gadgets are officially the new car/home hi-fi!

Well I for one use my M-100s for DJing and I can't look back. I can't think of any application my M-100s are NOT good for; Maybe not studio monitoring - but definitely great for studio feedback. 
How sure are you that Avicii makes his tracks with LPs? There was a video posted a couple pages back here showing him the studio with HD650s. I know he uses them for DJing though. 

ALSO STILL TRYING TO FIGURE OUT THE METALLO.... Maybe a high end IEM to compliment the M-100? 

Feb 23, 2013 at 5:29 AM Post #12,498 of 23,366
[
PPS - DD/XL CUSHION PROMO
I'll also brainstorm a promo for DD/XL cushions for those who want them once they come out, I think I have a good idea that you'll love if you bought an M-100 that makes them "virtually free*".  I'll run some numbers on my idea and update you closer to launch.

-V^V

Pretty interested to hear your idea.

On the topic of accessories. Would you be able to give us an idea of when the CoilPro will be available? Any cheeky photos? Thx

Feb 23, 2013 at 5:39 AM Post #12,499 of 23,366
Maybe the Metallo is Val's new music album? I would be extremely impressed if Metallo was a remake of V-MODA's music streaming app, and it streamed AIFF tracks. Or maybe the Vamp Verza is just the headphone amp and EQ section of the original Vamp (and thus more versatile) and the Metallo is a DAC or LOD for the Galaxy Slll? I think it would be cool if the Metallo + Verza clipped together as a two-piece case, or if the Metallo at least neatly attached the Verza to the Galaxy Siii. Or maybe the Metallo will be the name for the XL pads, since DD sounds like a bra size? Or maybe the Metallo is some sort of headphone/audio accessory that we've never seen before... Wouldn't that be exciting too?

Anyway, I'm up early to prepare for my new restaurant job, and maybe I'll hear back from my new graphic design contacts, can't wait till the income starts and I can pick up another LP or maybe even an M-100! ... After living expenses, of course.

Feb 23, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #12,500 of 23,366
Quote:
Maybe the Metallo is Val's new music album? I would be extremely impressed if Metallo was a remake of V-MODA's music streaming app, and it streamed AIFF tracks. Or maybe the Vamp Verza is just the headphone amp and EQ section of the original Vamp (and thus more versatile) and the Metallo is a DAC or LOD for the Galaxy Slll? I think it would be cool if the Metallo + Verza clipped together as a two-piece case, or if the Metallo at least neatly attached the Verza to the Galaxy Siii. Or maybe the Metallo will be the name for the XL pads, since DD sounds like a bra size? Or maybe the Metallo is some sort of headphone/audio accessory that we've never seen before... Wouldn't that be exciting too?

Anyway, I'm up early to prepare for my new restaurant job, and maybe I'll hear back from my new graphic design contacts, can't wait till the income starts and I can pick up another LP or maybe even an M-100! ... After living expenses, of course.

Lots of good guesses regarding what Metallo might be.  I'm thinking LOD for S3 since Val has commented more that once regarding the synergy of S3 with Vamp and S3 sales globally would certainly warrant the investment of a dedicated accessory as there is for Apple.

I like the concept of the original Vamp, where the player and amp fit together perfectly with full functionality to form one unit rather than two separate similar-sized units tethered together requiring banding.  Maybe Verza is being designed with interchangeable brackets that fit the most popular players/phones and the adapter would be Metallo?

Feb 23, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #12,501 of 23,366
Well my Matte Black arrived about 4 hours ago here in the UK. Great service from Amazon as always.

First impressions are very positive, everything about them screams quality, from the sound, design, accessories, right down to the unboxing (the leather tab and handle were particularly nice touches).

Sound wise, I'm pleased to say my skepticism of all the reviews so far has been misplaced. These sound VERY good right out of the box. Really impactful bass, and not a hint of sibilance in the high end which is my absolute pet hate. Sound-stage is big and very involving and I'm finding myself tapping along to all sorts of music from the depths of my iPod.

So far, I'm a very happy man, thanks Val and V-Moda team :) and also everyone on this thread for their reviews and impressions.

Feb 23, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #12,503 of 23,366
Quote:
Nervo is why I developed the shareplay on BOTH the headphones and the splitter since they are twin producers/DJs/songwriters.  PS they use Logic and Avicii uses Fruity Loops to produce mainly.  I use ableton.

YES!...I've used FruityLoops aka FLStudio since the late 90's. To me its the most underrated producing software ever. Although I'm using NI Maschine at the moment, I still love FLStudio.

In regards to the Galaxy S3 + M100 + PowerAmp combo, I wonder how big is the difference in SQ since the US version of the S3 does not have the Wolfson.

Feb 23, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #12,504 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:

Lots of good guesses regarding what Metallo might be.  I'm thinking LOD for S3 since Val has commented more that once regarding the synergy of S3 with Vamp and S3 sales globally would certainly warrant the investment of a dedicated accessory as there is for Apple.

I like the concept of the original Vamp, where the player and amp fit together perfectly with full functionality to form one unit rather than two separate similar-sized units tethered together requiring banding.  Maybe Verza is being designed with interchangeable brackets that fit the most popular players/phones and the adapter would be Metallo?

I was thinking of something along the lines of an LOD, or high-quality interconnect cable, or some sort of cable.

Oh and Val, as for colours: my guess is that VTF orders here were mostly matte black because you had stated before the pre-ordering period that the matte black would have "something special" that the other two didn't have (it turns out it was the orange cable). That plus a lot of the people here are in the older-ish demographics (random guess, but perhaps 20+ years old). Older audiences tend to prefer a sleeker, not as eye-popping colour scheme as was discussed previously here (white silver or shadow black stood out too much for people). It sounds like a lot of people who are ordering the M-100's now are a younger demographic and would like something that stands out in the crowd. Having an all-black headphone isn't exactly the most eye-catching for younger audiences so that might be a reason why white silver and shadow black are selling more.

I mean, if you're walking on the streets, or on school campus, the chances of someone asking "what headphones are those?" are less likely with an all-black, "no branding" headphone than one with some flashy accents and the branding clearly labeled. At least that's the reason why I chose white silver over matte black.

Feb 23, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #12,505 of 23,366
Quote:
If you're worried, you could always attach the extension to the mic end instead, any possible minor SQ loss will probably not matter for chat.

Amp -Y---extension---mic port
|
|
Boom mic
|
Headphone

Oh really? The microphone plug and audio plug are exactly the same? so an audio extension will work?

Feb 23, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #12,506 of 23,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oh and Val, as for colours: my guess is that VTF orders here were mostly matte black because you had stated before the pre-ordering period that the matte black would have "something special" that the other two didn't have (it turns out it was the orange cable). That plus a lot of the people here are in the older-ish demographics (random guess, but perhaps 20+ years old). Older audiences tend to prefer a sleeker, not as eye-popping colour scheme as was discussed previously here (white silver or shadow black stood out too much for people). It sounds like a lot of people who are ordering the M-100's now are a younger demographic and would like something that stands out in the crowd. Having an all-black headphone isn't exactly the most eye-catching for younger audiences so that might be a reason why white silver and shadow black are selling more.

I mean, if you're walking on the streets, or on school campus, the chances of someone asking "what headphones are those?" are less likely with an all-black, "no branding" headphone than one with some flashy accents and the branding clearly labeled. At least that's the reason why I chose white silver over matte black.

+1; The amount of head-fiers who helped project those inital numbers, are not part of the typical market. Also as previously stated, many head-fiers associate glossy black with red highlights as with another brand we're all familiar with, and would rather not have a can that resembles that colour scheme. I think initial head-fi projections tend to be a bit skewed as we're more enthusist types than consumer/branding types.

To add to the cable bit, I agree with miceblue, it's different from your previous offerings and again has a better 'matching' potential than Red (Shadows), which from what I've learned from my girlfriend is the most difficult colour to match with an outfit.

Val, you also mentioned that you think it's because the Matte Black version has a more universal colour scheme, and with the pre orders offering customs shields added to that fact..... It's the reason I went for Matte Black, but I also went a bit flashy with the Sun Orange shields, so I kinda put myself in a mid-ground in that sense - but it matches my style much better than glossy black and red ever would. And with the amount of DAPs/smartphones that are offered in white colour schemes, people tend to try to match their devices.

Feb 23, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #12,507 of 23,366
Hi all,
Noob to this world but I have used V-Moda since 2009. I now have the awesome white M-100's (pic in my avatar LOL) and my only gripe is that the case that comes with the cans is white. I do love it, but it's going to get filthy when I pop it on my carry on and send it through the rounds in an airport lol.  Anyone know where I can buy the black case that comes with the matte version? I also placed an email to info@v-moda.com and I'll see what they say. I figured if anyone asked this in the past? Thanks!

Feb 23, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #12,508 of 23,366
Quote:

+1; The amount of head-fiers who helped project those inital numbers, are not part of the typical market. Also as previously stated, many head-fiers associate glossy black with red highlights as with another brand we're all familiar with, and would rather not have a can that resembles that colour scheme. I think initial head-fi projections tend to be a bit skewed as we're more enthusist types than consumer/branding types.

To add to the cable bit, I agree with miceblue, it's different from your previous offerings and again has a better 'matching' potential than Red (Shadows), which from what I've learned from my girlfriend is the most difficult colour to match with an outfit.

Val, you also mentioned that you think it's because the Matte Black version has a more universal colour scheme, and with the pre orders offering customs shields added to that fact..... It's the reason I went for Matte Black, but I also went a bit flashy with the Sun Orange shields, so I kinda put myself in a mid-ground in that sense - but it matches my style much better than glossy black and red ever would. And with the amount of DAPs/smartphones that are offered in white colour schemes, people tend to try to match their devices.

Being involved in the CE business myself and having had this conversation MANY, MANY times.  Color mix will almost never work out how you predict, with the exception of black ALWAYS sells more.  In this case, it is more complicated than that, but the lack of predictability still holds true.  For what it's worth Val, I would have put my inventory dollars in the same place you did.  

Feb 23, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #12,509 of 23,366
Can someone give a brief comment on the M-100's performance with metal? Im interested in how it performs with the guitars that require midrange, and I have worries about them being ' as if underwater ' as Ive heard in other sites. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back