Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Jan 10, 2024 at 5:36 PM Post #5,761 of 5,985
Oof why’d I have to go and find a v550 pro new for same price as the v281 LE. Just when I thought I had this figured out…

Anyone have any opinion between the two for the same price? Mostly wanted the power for a set of Tungstens but this’ll also be a primary desktop amp and preamp to powered speakers.

Jan 10, 2024 at 5:50 PM Post #5,762 of 5,985
Thanks, yeah, I'm pretty much sold on getting the V281 LE. I'll probably order after the first batch as I need to sell off some gear. Violectric's quality and engineering is top notch. They are on the list for the NYC2024 CanJam again. It was nice meeting some of their representatives last year and I sat in on Fried Reim's presentation. Maybe they will bring a demo of the V281 LE :L3000:.
Nice! Glad to see they have a booth. I'll definitely plan on plugging some HP's into the different amps they have. It would be really cool if they also had the V281 so people could test out their other models side by side. And I agree, they are all built like tanks.

Jan 10, 2024 at 5:52 PM Post #5,763 of 5,985
Hello,

If I understood correctly, these will only ship from US territory. I'm trying to understand why a German Company is not considering giving a chance to the European market to purchase these, already expensive units, without the hassle of Customs and respective taxes, fees and the intercontinental shipping cost for such a heavy unit.

Obviously that I aplaude the US dealer for the initiative and even more for the openness to intercontinental markets. Nothing to do with this.

Nevertheless, for sure it is still built by Violectric and therefore I believe its marketing and sales department should be careful about this as despite being a US initiative and investment, it is still a Violectric product and the European fan could easily take it the wrong way.

Every time I have to consider a Schiit product, I have to pay a premium price in Europe and that is understandable.

I imagine there is a lot more underneath the surface, but as a consumer, and from my perspective, I cannot restrain myself of feeling a certain disappointment towards the brand.

For the rest, brilliant initiative and great vision from Arthur Power! :pray: :ok_hand::thumbsup:

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2024 at 11:47 PM Post #5,764 of 5,985
Any good DAC pairings for the V281 that stand out to compliment the warmish signature? I wish there was some smaller higher end units that could stack with this amp for desktop space reasons :dt880smile:
Soekris dac2541 to v281 is a great pairing ... listening to it now :gs1000smile:

Jan 11, 2024 at 1:29 AM Post #5,765 of 5,985
The initiative was put forward by Arthur so naturally he will receive the V281LE first before anyone else ( does at all). Maybe Europeans should have had that idea too in the first place, yet they are very often overly eager to import the very first batch of any hyped up dac and amp from the US. A strawman? Somewhat, but based on a lot of experience.

Jan 11, 2024 at 8:57 AM Post #5,766 of 5,985
The initiative was put forward by Arthur so naturally he will receive the V281LE first before anyone else ( does at all). Maybe Europeans should have had that idea too in the first place, yet they are very often overly eager to import the very first batch of any hyped up dac and amp from the US. A strawman? Somewhat, but based on a lot of experience.
Hello friend,

Obviously Arthur is to be congratulated on this matter. I wish we had more dealers like this, especially on this side of the ocean :dt880smile: , that listen to what customers want and take action!

I just feel a little frustrated with the brand, in the sense I cannot believe that they just won´t even "study" if this would interest the home market. I really hope I´m wrong, but until now, I don't see any sort of action or effort towards this. They may also be just waiting to see.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 10:30 AM Post #5,767 of 5,985
I get your point, don't worry. They have to schedule this project in a way that it doesn't slow down their other ideas of which some are really good.
They do read here though and all I can say is they are aware.

Jan 14, 2024 at 4:08 AM Post #5,768 of 5,985
Hi everyone new subscriber on the forum but have been an avid reader for years, i don't know how the classified section work (yet 😅) but if anyone Is interested i'm selling a Vio v281 B with the dac and an aftermarket Power cable included on eBay and on Headphone Gear for sale asking 1100€ plus shipping and PayPal fees, i hope It's ok to post this here thanks.

Jan 20, 2024 at 9:42 AM Post #5,769 of 5,985
Feb 2, 2024 at 8:47 AM Post #5,771 of 5,985
Arthur's update in December said "Violectric has managed to source all the needed components except one part, the motorized potentiometer / volume controls that are needed for the new relay boards. There was difficulty getting the cases made and many other parts as well in time, but they have been successful in everything but this one last specialized part."

This morning, I received an e-mail from him stating, "Unfortunately, however, we now have a problem with the new development of the housing...I can't really say anything final yet. But we are losing about 3 weeks of time."

I'm not sure how those two statements can both be true. Here's the full update - I'm starting to wonder when it becomes time to demand a refund and chalk this up to bad gamble.

This update is over due and I apologize for that. I wanted to send everyone some news a week ago. Fried Reim (design engineer) and Christof Mallmann (owner of Violectric) were at the US NAMM show in LA last weekend. I spoke with Christof at the beginning of the week and asked for an update. He said the only thing they are waiting on is the cases and that he was waiting for an update on delivery of the cases. He just emailed me now with the follow:

Good Morning Arthur,

I apologize for only getting back to you now, I only received some information in the last few hours.

Basically, we are very far along in the production of the electronics. The final tests are already underway at the test station.

Unfortunately, however, we now have a major problem with the new development of the housing. A mistake was made in the construction of the tool for the cover. And this was only discovered at the beginning of the week.
This means that we have to completely rework the tool. Only then can we start production again.

I am aware that this is a great disappointment for you and your customers. We are really trying our best to rectify this as quickly as possible.

I can't really say anything final yet. But we are losing about 3 weeks of time.

Best regards from Gauting,
Christof Mallmann

As many of you know Violectric was able to source all the other parts needed for the first 50 units and the boards are just about ready to side into the cases. Unfortunately the cases have been delayed due to some mistake. I think whoever made this mistake should be forced to only drink American Budweiser beer! I am sure he will never make a mistake like that again. :)

We are so close and this is so frustrating. I want to ask that you hang in there with us. I truly appreciate everyone's pre-order and patience. I will be very relieved when we start shipping these out to everyone. It may be 4:30 am, but I think I need a German beer so I can relax and get to sleep.

Enjoy the music, Arthur

Feb 2, 2024 at 9:52 AM Post #5,772 of 5,985
Arthur's update in December said "Violectric has managed to source all the needed components except one part, the motorized potentiometer / volume controls that are needed for the new relay boards. There was difficulty getting the cases made and many other parts as well in time, but they have been successful in everything but this one last specialized part."

This morning, I received an e-mail from him stating, "Unfortunately, however, we now have a problem with the new development of the housing...I can't really say anything final yet. But we are losing about 3 weeks of time."

I'm not sure how those two statements can both be true. Here's the full update - I'm starting to wonder when it becomes time to demand a refund and chalk this up to bad gamble.

Don't give up yet.

I've been waiting longer for the CFA3 from HeadAmp, without even a firm date or final price yet. And if you ordered a Mjolnir 3 today, it's not shipping until April, if you're lucky. The list goes on and on. If Violectric's metal fabricator screwed up the tooling, there's nothing they can do about it except wait for them to fix it and redo the cases.

Feb 2, 2024 at 10:12 AM Post #5,773 of 5,985
Got that email this morning, bit of a let down but I came in way late on this pre-order so I guess I can't complain compared to some of you :p

Hopefully that means by the end of this month they'll start shipping. Fingers crossed!

Feb 2, 2024 at 12:45 PM Post #5,774 of 5,985
Don't give up yet.

I've been waiting longer for the CFA3 from HeadAmp, without even a firm date or final price yet. And if you ordered a Mjolnir 3 today, it's not shipping until April, if you're lucky. The list goes on and on. If Violectric's metal fabricator screwed up the tooling, there's nothing they can do about it except wait for them to fix it and redo the cases.
I work for a company which manufactures our products, so I'm wholly sympathetic to metal fabricators' tooling problems. What I take umbrage with is that Power Holdings already took payment, so Vioelectric should have had access to the funds to pay the metal fabricators to machine the cases MONTHS ago, or at the very least, Arthur shouldn't have mentioned in December that there were issues with the casings, but those issues were resolved if the cases hadn't been manufactured.

If Vio was holding off on having the cases manufactured out of some concern that they wouldn't have been able to complete this project, I don't feel like Power Holdings should have started taking full payment when I paid back in September.

I lusted after the original V281 when they were in production but couldn't afford one at the time. I bought a V550 (which I love) about a year ago. I absolutely want my V281, but at this rate, I don't expect it to be in my hands until mid-March, which means I've had six months to question my impulse buy, and someone else is holding onto (and possibly earning interest on) close to $3k of my money.

My purchase experience leading up to getting my V550 from Power Holdings was not a great experience, either. I don't want to talk out of turn, I do my best to assume positive intent, and I know Arthur has a solid reputation around these parts, but I'm having a hard time calling something a swan when it's walking and talking like a duck.

I guess I just need to remember that good things come to those who wait...

Feb 2, 2024 at 12:55 PM Post #5,775 of 5,985
I work for a company which manufactures our products, so I'm wholly sympathetic to metal fabricators' tooling problems. What I take umbrage with is that Power Holdings already took payment, so Vioelectric should have had access to the funds to pay the metal fabricators to machine the cases MONTHS ago, or at the very least, Arthur shouldn't have mentioned in December that there were issues with the casings, but those issues were resolved if the cases hadn't been manufactured.

If Vio was holding off on having the cases manufactured out of some concern that they wouldn't have been able to complete this project, I don't feel like Power Holdings should have started taking full payment when I paid back in September.

I lusted after the original V281 when they were in production but couldn't afford one at the time. I bought a V550 (which I love) about a year ago. I absolutely want my V281, but at this rate, I don't expect it to be in my hands until mid-March, which means I've had six months to question my impulse buy, and someone else is holding onto (and possibly earning interest on) close to $3k of my money.

My purchase experience leading up to getting my V550 from Power Holdings was not a great experience, either. I don't want to talk out of turn, I do my best to assume positive intent, and I know Arthur has a solid reputation around these parts, but I'm having a hard time calling something a swan when it's walking and talking like a duck.

I guess I just need to remember that good things come to those who wait...
I hear you. I also would be a lot less anxious if I hadn't paid up-front. I was #6 to purchase, so not far behind you.

The V281 is an amp I always wanted, so I'm going to keep waiting patiently and stay positive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back