Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Feb 17, 2024 at 1:04 PM Post #5,791 of 5,930
Geshelli's J2 DAC (AKM 4493) worked well for me on the V222 with similar sound characteristics of the V281. However, V281 does not look wide enough to stack the J2. Geshelli does offer different options on the casing, DAC chip selection and added sockets for op-amp chip choices.

20230215_142632.jpg
Really eyeballing the socketed J2 thats out with the AKM 4499 and Sparkos opamps, tho Geshelli said they are going to redo the case and front interface soon.
It's either this or a Yggy GS2 which I feel may be overkill.

Feb 20, 2024 at 10:06 PM Post #5,793 of 5,930
Cutting and pasting from I saw from an email today:

"Please find attached some current pictures of the V281 production.
These are the devices being fully assembled and going into the test field. As soon as the Top cover arrives, it will be mounted and the devices will be shipped."

Attachments

• IMG_3485.jpeg
    IMG_3485.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3486.jpeg
    IMG_3486.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3487.jpeg
    IMG_3487.jpeg
    707.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3489.jpeg
    IMG_3489.jpeg
    981.8 KB · Views: 0
Feb 21, 2024 at 4:20 PM Post #5,795 of 5,930
I like the additional features of the reissue V281. If I were to get one I would be selling my V281 "Final Edition" (ironically named). Anyone have a guess as to what I would be able to get for mine were I to sell it? Not sure how the final addition resale is compared to the rest of them

Feb 21, 2024 at 4:31 PM Post #5,796 of 5,930
I like the additional features of the reissue V281. If I were to get one I would be selling my V281 "Final Edition" (ironically named). Anyone have a guess as to what I would be able to get for mine were I to sell it? Not sure how the final addition resale is compared to the rest of them
The market is really slow right now. I would say start with a high asking price, and lower until it sells. I'm not familiar with the FE. Does it comes with an internal DAC?

Thinking about 1600-2000$, just guessing.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 8:09 PM Post #5,800 of 5,930
I don’t think you get more than $1600.00. Also if people are looking to sell theirs for the new version, there will be more on the used market. I would sell sooner rather than later.

Feb 21, 2024 at 11:57 PM Post #5,801 of 5,930
Feb 22, 2024 at 1:45 PM Post #5,803 of 5,930
V281's with the non-stepped volume pots don't make noise from the knob itself like the one with the 128-step relay volume right?
Yes. Completely silent. The best part is how accurate the remote is to adjust it. I'm pretty fussy with volume levels. As fast as I can push and release the volume control on the remote it changes the volume that amount. I'm talking a tenth of a second even, maybe one decibel (more likely a fraction of a decibel) adjustment. I have seen where they claim the reissue will be silent even though it is a stepped attenuator. That's the one feature of the reissue that I'm not sure I will like better. Wouldn't know until I tried it. Somebody mentioned I should sell my other one first. That makes sense financially and such but the V281 is the heart of my stereo (and headphone) system. Even if I could work around it I can't imagine looking at my system and not seeing it there!

Feb 22, 2024 at 2:38 PM Post #5,804 of 5,930
Yes. Completely silent. The best part is how accurate the remote is to adjust it. I'm pretty fussy with volume levels. As fast as I can push and release the volume control on the remote it changes the volume that amount. I'm talking a tenth of a second even, maybe one decibel (more likely a fraction of a decibel) adjustment. I have seen where they claim the reissue will be silent even though it is a stepped attenuator. That's the one feature of the reissue that I'm not sure I will like better. Wouldn't know until I tried it. Somebody mentioned I should sell my other one first. That makes sense financially and such but the V281 is the heart of my stereo (and headphone) system. Even if I could work around it I can't imagine looking at my system and not seeing it there!
Oh, I would've considered getting yours but I got the one with the 128-step relay recently; Its only a minor issue since I just adjust the volume as I'm listening to music :jecklinsmile:

I saw in the V550 thread that some people had issues with their reed relay volume pots but were able to get it fixed so if anything you would just have to ship it back if it bothers you. I don't think you will have any issues since there are only 100 units being made so the QC for the V281 LE should be a lot better but I do think you should try to sell first ($1600-$1800 seems like a good range) but decide for yourself if its worth the extra $900-$1100 for whatever additional features you may want/need.

Mar 1, 2024 at 10:02 AM Post #5,805 of 5,930
I thought I'd post the latest update from Arthur Powers on the status of the V281 LE, since no one else did yet:

"The owner of Violectric (Christof Mallmann) just informed me the
new tool for the cases was made successfully and the production of the
cases is underway. The anodized coating will be applied tomorrow and
they should be shipped out to Violectric on Saturday. It may take a week
or more though before the cases arrive at Violectric's factory. Once the
V281 are fully assembled and boxed up they will ship right out to the US
since all of the testing will already have been completed. I think
realistically they will not leave Germany until the middle of March. I
know this is longer again then anticipated. I think I can safely say
though that everyone will have their new V281 in their hands before the
end of March. Hopefully well before the end of March if all goes well.

This has been a nerve wreaking experience! If I start a project like
this again in the future I will have to add 3 months onto the projected
ship date to be safe! lol

Thank you again to everyone for your extreme patience. If you wish to
cancel your order just let me know and I will gladly refund you. There
are a lot customers waiting for these now so I am sure they will sell
out quickly. I know everyone is looking forward to owning this unique
updated reissue of the most popular amp Violectric every created. :)

Thank you very much, Arthur

Power Holdings Inc"

Also, Arthur shared a couple pictures of the upgraded packaging they'll be using for the V281 LE. Oversized, laser cut foam and large box. It's a step above their normal packaging. Should actually survive shipping intact, even if DHL/UPS decides to play soccer with it.

We're getting close and I know the wait is going to be well worth it.

1709305208832.jpeg
1709305240552.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back